Russian bride leaves elderly BC man with $25K welfare bill

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Russian bride leaves elderly BC man with $25K welfare bi

Post by Captain Awesome »

motorhomebabe wrote:I could be way pff base here, but dont most government forms ask about Place of origin, and if not born here ,how long has one lived here?

Place of origin doesn't matter, immigrants are entitled to welfare funds just like anyone else - it's available to both citizens and landed immigrants.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Captain Awesome wrote:Place of origin doesn't matter, immigrants are entitled to welfare funds just like anyone else - it's available to both citizens and landed immigrants.

Maybe that should be changed. Immigrants should not be allowed access to any social programs until they've contributed something to this country. If they can't contribute, then they should be shipped straight back where they came from. Unless we all want this to be welfare-land where immigrants of the world can come here and rest on their laurels while Canadians foot the bill.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Sn0man wrote: Unless we all want this to be welfare-land where immigrants of the world can come here and rest on their laurels while Canadians foot the bill.

Isn't that what we all ready have?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Bsuds wrote:
Isn't that what we all ready have?

Yeah, true enough.

I was going to close my statement above by saying that if we're not careful we'll end up with a country that is full of immigrants who come here not to be in Canada but to make their own little countries within ours while getting us to pay for it - but then I realized they already have.

What a joke.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ Yup that ship sailed a long time ago.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Sn0man wrote:Immigrants should not be allowed access to any social programs until they've contributed something to this country.

Landed immigrants (immigrant status until they get citizenship in 3 years) have the access to welfare but are obligated to pay it back. If they were sponsored, it's the sponsor that has to pay it back (like it happened in this story). Having access doesn't mean it's free for them.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

grammafreddy wrote:When I worked retail I had numerous older people tell me they sold out where they had lived before, moved to Kelowna to be with their kids at their kids' urging, then when they got settled in Kelowna, found out the hard way that their kids and grandkids had their own too-busy lives and they got ignored and the kids had no time to visit with them or help them with anything - even after one of them died and the mom or dad was now on their own - and lonely - and trying to look after a home themselves..

Well said G', made me call my parents and volunteered to get thier yard ready for winter this weekend, dad's a little slower these days and could use the help which brings me back on topic. As grammfreddy says, for some people the latter years can be lonely. Just when you have all the time in the world, your world is running out of time and you're at home alone watching the tube

Other than the money she owes him, who do you blame - the Russian bride who saw a way to improve her family's situation or ourselves who get busy and leave our parents to fight an uphill battle that gets steeper with each bone creaking, cardiac murmuring and bowel tightining year?
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I didnt read all of the posts but since it shows the daughter was attempting to sponsor her mother and then the whole thing switched over to him doing it by marriage and the mom left like the wind on her own doing,,, the daughter should pay the dues,,, his was a mistake, hers was a plan to screw the old man over.
And the mom should be dropped off from a helicopter at 40 feet right back on her home land, at her cost...
Yes we are weak and we let our own people get hurt.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

LANDM wrote:Just because he was 82 is not a reason to forgive him for his extreme stupidity.

He got conned.
Sn0man wrote:The woman should be deported. Her daughter too for apparently setting it up.

I agree. This woman is the criminal, she should be the one the Gov't goes after.
Cut off any social assistance and be made to pay back anything she received.
She should be charged with fraud.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

gardengirl wrote:This woman is the criminal, she should be the one the Gov't goes after.
Cut off any social assistance and be made to pay back anything she received.
She should be charged with fraud.

like-smilie.gif
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

:rate10:
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Captain Awesome wrote:Landed immigrants (immigrant status until they get citizenship in 3 years) have the access to welfare but are obligated to pay it back. If they were sponsored, it's the sponsor that has to pay it back (like it happened in this story). Having access doesn't mean it's free for them.

How dare you let facts get in the way of some good old fashioned xenophobia.

It is pretty crummy indeed what this woman did, but unless it can be proven that she comitted fraud, she is here to stay.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

how is she a criminal? Maybe she left him because he was abusive.. we only have his side of the story.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

The one thing I learned from this is that not everybody should be allowed to use the internet.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

normaM wrote:how is she a criminal? Maybe she left him because he was abusive.. we only have his side of the story.

Enough info to recognize a couple of schemers taking advantage of an old fella, in my opinion. If there was any abuse it was being dished out by womenfolk.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “B.C.”