Double Fatal

RacerChic
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Double Fatal

Post by RacerChic »

Raising teenagers is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
I swear some people slipped into the gene pool that had no lifEguard.
grumpies daughter
Board Meister

Post by grumpies daughter »

I am a bit troubled by the first sentence in Delaney Smith's obituary,
try to live your whole life west of the rockies
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

grumpies daughter wrote:I am a bit troubled by the first sentence in Delaney Smith's obituary,

Why? What is wrong with it?
sassybee
Board Meister

Post by sassybee »

I'm guessing it's the word "killed".
Why is this bothersome? She WAS "killed" in a terrible accident.
Could have read, "she passed away", but really, the truth is the truth.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

donations helping pay for her final expenses?????
Oh that is just wrong
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Catz wrote:donations helping pay for her final expenses?????
Oh that is just wrong

How so? From what I understand she lived on her own, worked. Maybe the family just doesn't have the money, to cremate her, bury her? I don't know. But I certainly would rather give to a proper "goodbye" than flowers that just die.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I would never ask anyone to help pay for the funeral...ever. Make a donation to womans shelter, SPCA, MADD, but not the funeral. That is just my opinion.
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

ICBC will be involved. They have benefits to pay for funerals for passengers. If the young lady had a driver's license that too will cover as everyone with a driver's license has 1 million coverage whether or not they own a vehicle of their own. With litigation taking so long with ICBC, it may be awhile for payment. Mike's insurance should cover Delanie's funeral costs. She was a passenger in his vehicle. Check out the ICBC web site or google Will ICBC pay for the funeral of a passenger and look at the answers.
acidrain
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by acidrain »

BC Ministry of Social Housing and Development (Income Assistance Office) provides a supplement to pay necessary funeral services costs of any person who dies in BC if the family unit or the estate of the deceased person has no immediate resources to meet these costs. There is no requirement that the deceased person, or the person’s family, must be BC Employment and Assistance recipients to qualify for the supplement.

For more information visit: http://www.gov.bc.ca/meia/online_resource/general_supplements/funeral/policy.html

There is also the Federal CPP Death benefit as well. If she was working she may be able to qualify even if it's not the full $2,500 amount. For more information visit: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/cpp/deathpension.shtml
gloryniights

Post by gloryniights »

southernfrau wrote:ICBC will be involved. They have benefits to pay for funerals for passengers. If the young lady had a driver's license that too will cover as everyone with a driver's license has 1 million coverage whether or not they own a vehicle of their own. With litigation taking so long with ICBC, it may be awhile for payment. Mike's insurance should cover Delanie's funeral costs. She was a passenger in his vehicle. Check out the ICBC web site or google Will ICBC pay for the funeral of a passenger and look at the answers.

I believe it's only covered if that person is a relative or a child.

"Funeral expenses and death benefits

Accident Benefits entitles you to funeral costs and death benefit payments for you, your spouse and your children. Spouses are:

married partners
common-law partners, including same-gender partners

Please note: Common-law and same-gender partners must have lived together in a marriage-like relationship for at least two continuous years immediately preceding the right to claim.

Payments for death benefits vary if the policy holder was the main wage earner in the home, and if there are any children or dependants.
There are also payments if the deceased is a child. Payments for a child come in a lump sum, whereas payments for adults combine a lump sum and weekly payments for 104 weeks." - icbc.com

But you are correct, anyone who has a valid license is covered when traveling in a vehicle.
RacerChic
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by RacerChic »

I actually clicked the donate icon in Castanet ad and it said, proceeds to the 2013 grad celebration,,,,,,,,was confused, So I donated to SPCA in her name instead,,,,,according to her brothers testimonial she was a definite animal lover. RIP Young one, Watch over your "posse" in thier time of sorrow. :sunshine:
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

RacerChic wrote:I actually clicked the donate icon in Castanet ad and it said, proceeds to the 2013 grad celebration,,,,,,,,was confused, So I donated to SPCA in her name instead,,,,,according to her brothers testimonial she was a definite animal lover. RIP Young one, Watch over your "posse" in thier time of sorrow. :sunshine:

On this young lady's RIP Facebook page there is talk of donations being used to send Delanie's best friend on a trip in the spring that Delanie was to have taken. Maybe that's the grad connection? Now, the best friend is apparently going to go, and "take" Delanie with her. (her ashes I suppose.) I can see their desire in it, but I think people may be a bit critical if they're asking for donations that will not go towards bursary, education, charity, etc.

I also think it's strange that the two funerals will be held within hours of one another... seems to me there will be a lot of mutual friends from the two. Who knows, maybe the families planned it that way.

Hope I'm not double posting this... did not read the entire thread.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

This whole incident is the sad consequence of some young people going out and making one or two bad choices it seems... a lack of judgement that hardly one of us can deny having made on a number of occasions. The difference is that those of us who are still here got away with it. Things were simpler a half century ago though, and perhaps much better in that people simply came together in the community and supported on another and there was no public debate about the cause, the cost of the funerals or about the state of youth at the time. If there was discussion it was quiet and nobody ever made any comment that might risk offending the friends and family of those who lost their lives. We have sure lost some of that along the way and that in itself is sad.
RacerChic
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by RacerChic »

Treblehook wrote:This whole incident is the sad consequence of some young people going out and making one or two bad choices it seems... a lack of judgement that hardly one of us can deny having made on a number of occasions. The difference is that those of us who are still here got away with it. Things were simpler a half century ago though, and perhaps much better in that people simply came together in the community and supported on another and there was no public debate about the cause, the cost of the funerals or about the state of youth at the time. If there was discussion it was quiet and nobody ever made any comment that might risk offending the friends and family of those who lost their lives. We have sure lost some of that along the way and that in itself is sad.

:ohmygod: I could NOT AGREEE MORE!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Treblehook, I think your post is inspired. Thanks for that x 2.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Central Okanagan”