West Bench amalgamation

DblDwn11
Fledgling

West Bench amalgamation

Post by DblDwn11 »

Earlier in the month Helena Konanz was quoted as saying that the West Bench should amalgamate with Penticton because residents there use Penticton roads and services without paying their fair share.

In today's Western, a couple of residents wrote a great response: http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/opi ... 85761.html

I laughed out loud at a couple of lines in this letter and think that Councilor Konanz should have been better informed prior to making the comments. It does raise an interesting question though..should the West Bench fall into Penticton's municipality?

I think they should simply to increase Penticton's tax base....
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: West Bench amalgamation

Post by southy »

DblDwn11 wrote:I think they should simply to increase Penticton's tax base....

Yup ... first we take the Westbench then Heritage Hills, OK Falls and while we're at it let's go after all those million$ homes in the suburb known as Naramata. I think there was a former councillor who actually believed in doing some of this was there not?
Jamesie
Fledgling

Post by Jamesie »

I think it would make total sense for West Bench to be amalgamated into Penticton. It is to all intents and purposes a part of Penticton. No different from Wiltse or Uplands etc. Kaleden, Naramata etc. are distinct communities, even if they are small.

Having said that I also think it was extremely stupid for Councillor Konanz to stir the pot in that way, living in Kaleden. Too easy to nail her on that one and pretty hypocritical of her too.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

There's already a bunch of nuts in OK Falls trying to Incorporate the Falls. Boo hiss I say.
sammo

Post by sammo »

If you're mailing address says Penticton, you should be considered to be a resident of Penticton. End of.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I certainly think Naramata, West Bench etc... should be amalgamated into Penticton and pay taxes. I also think they should get to use the benefits of paying taxes as well. I.e. fire service, water service and more.
Currently, by not paying city taxes, I think Penticton should implement user fees for city services used by "out of towners."
It's one thing for visitors and tourists to come here, but if you met someone abroad, and lived in West Bench, would you tell them you lived in West Bench, or Penticton? I mean, come on. You shop at our stores, drive on our roads etc etc... you should have to pay your fair share.
I could see OK Falls staying out of Penticton, I mean they have their own services; school, grocery store, gas station. They have the essentials that do not require them to use Penticton in some way, shape or form. Places like Naramata (ya I know you have a school), they depend on Penticton, so they should have to pay.

Now flame away!
StraightUpLogic
Fledgling

Post by StraightUpLogic »

I think the issue is west bench has no services other than use of pentictons directly.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

Judy and Al Sears wrote a great letter, I particularly enjoyed this part….

By the way, no other regional community in the RDOS contributes to the community centre. Not even Faulder, Naramata, Heritage Hills, Okanagan Falls or Kaleden contribute. But we do allow other people to use our roads on the West Bench to access the golf courses and the KVR.

Notice how Helena Konanz is silent on the fact that Kaleden (where she lives) is also getting a free ride ?

I just shake my head at these kinds of comments from Konanz.
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

If you're mailing address says Penticton, you should be considered to be a resident of Penticton. End of.

Really? and I guess if your mailing address doesn't say Penticton , well then it's ok to be elected Mayor and run the place ?.
sammo

Post by sammo »

Hoot- I believe this forum was about the amalgamation of the West Bench. However, although slightly off topic, I must agree with you. The mayor of Penticton should be a resident of Penticton. We just need some good people to run..........
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

Hoot- I believe this forum was about the amalgamation of the West Bench.

Absolutely right, well done, very astute of you .

However, one poster made the claim that if your address says Penticton, then you should be considered a resident of the city.
My retort pointed out that just about anyone can run for elected office in the city , resident or not.

Of course, having the city's name on your mailing address may have more to do with the Canada Post authority ,than an appellation as to where the person actually lives.

Nice to see you agree with the intent of my post though. :127:
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Touchy territory. Penticton is a commercial hub for the surrounding area. We can no more deny access to those outside city limits than we could expect city businesses to restrict their customer list to people with a Penticton address. Out-or-towners support the city in limited ways, and should in return enjoy limited benefits.

I don't see our current Mayor's return address as a significant issue, and apparently neither do a majority of voters. There's no rules being broken with him serving on council or he wouldn't be there.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

I don't see our current Mayor's return address as a significant issue, and apparently neither do a majority of voters

And neither do I , I just find it incongruous that some people object to "outsiders" using the City's facilities , ( for which they have contributed taxes) and then go ahead and elect an "outsider", who contributes little or no taxes , to run the show........just saying.

It makes for a strange dichotomy.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Not defending DA Hoot, but I believe he does own commercial property/property within the city of Penticton. He would therefore be paying taxes. Just clarifying ... NOT DEFENDING.

Return to “Central Okanagan”