Did students get out school to attend a Warriors game?

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Did students get out school to attend a Warriors game?

Post by Fancy »

If the kids aren't missing "instructional" time (don't think these field trips count towards instructional time so not taking away from the 187 days), and it was a good cause that benefited, it seems to me this does indeed help educate the kids in more ways than one as noted in 2bonline's post (among others). This hockey field trip has nothing to do with how the education system is teaching the children - that's a whole different game.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Awesome post 2bonline...............some people just like to whine and beotch about anything and everything........
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Bubalouie wrote:Awesome post 2bonline...............some people just like to whine and beotch about anything and everything........

And some people just place a much higher value on educating our next generation.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Na...some people like to think they everything and back in the 1920's
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

We are a young family that has lots of fun. We are also a family that places a high value on academics. The amount of fluff in school is over the top. To have an outing once in awhile like this event is fine but maybe having vouchers given out for an evening game would have been better. Over the course of the school year it is really adding up. There are constant distractions and fun days and I feel it is seriously cutting into education time. We're turning into the grasshopper in the ant and grasshopper story.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

jennylives wrote:We are a young family that has lots of fun. We are also a family that places a high value on academics. The amount of fluff in school is over the top. To have an outing once in awhile like this event is fine but maybe having vouchers given out for an evening game would have been better. Over the course of the school year it is really adding up. There are constant distractions and fun days and I feel it is seriously cutting into education time. We're turning into the grasshopper in the ant and grasshopper story.

Having 3 older kids...I beg to differ but respect what you are saying.

Done with this 'chat'
tooles
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

2bonline wrote:A high school diploma is a sure indicator that an individual is both educated and intelligent. Why GF do you think most employers demand it? Just what level of education, field trips to a hockey game excluded, denies someone from using a food bank GF? If you can only focus on the "supposed" negative results of the field trip I suggest you re-think your opinion.

As a child, I had a teacher who quickly recognized the lack of a father influence in my life and her husband took me out of class(with my mothers permission of course) and took me to a Vancouver Canucks practise where I got to meet the players. I have never forgotten that day, the kindness extended to me and the empathy it instilled in me. Now is that not an education GF?

Did it occur to you that that field trip might be the only opportunity for some children to have that experience? Did it occur to you that if even one child benefits and has a wonderful childhood memory to hold on to for their life the whole exercise was worth it? Did it occur to you that the day might inspire the children to work hard. Did it occur to you that the day might have been followed up by a great learning exercise. Should some young Canadian boy or girl be denied the priviledge of ever watching a live hockey game during school hours even it is their only chance because people of an ilk such as yours say it is wrong?

It seems you just view the whole thing as someone getting a free ride which heavan forbid is just wrong.

High horse indeed!

I am not here to argue the field trip but this statement above is hogwash. Some of the people most lacking of smarts I have met are succesful grade 12ers,,, I have had people with grade 8 work for me and do ten times better, even at my till in my store dealing with cash and how to deal with the public on many levels. The requirement for grade 12 is to cover their own butts. I have seen people with grade 12 and better fudge numbers in their work places in order to have to do less or because they really didnt understand the need to do things right. Smarts is built into the person with life experiences, good upbringing and involvement I think and education can help with that. So you take algebra and you pass but where do you use it in most jobs,,, see my point? Its just a brain exersise thing. The education system is for learning but like boy scouts,,, its also to pass the time is some ways and some stuff that is taught is done to fill time so why not sports involvement too. Remember if you can get a kid to move his butt he might learn more just because his mind is energized. Lazy kids dont learn as much as those who are active in some way. So good on them taking the kids to a game and I hope it allowed some of the kids to take an interest in the sport.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

I didnt read Through all the posts, but suspect the OP is Pd off about the hockey stand off. Its definetly about the money and not the fans anymore.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

jennylives wrote:We are a young family that has lots of fun. We are also a family that places a high value on academics. The amount of fluff in school is over the top. To have an outing once in awhile like this event is fine but maybe having vouchers given out for an evening game would have been better. Over the course of the school year it is really adding up. There are constant distractions and fun days and I feel it is seriously cutting into education time. We're turning into the grasshopper in the ant and grasshopper story.

:rate10:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

You know, over the 12 years I attended school, I do not remember any of the academics, any of the classes (but for one English class when a D student copied a Simon Garfunkel song for his own poem and got an A and the teacher read it out to the class as everyone snickered..."tin can at my feet, think I'll kick it down the street, that's the way to treat a friend...")
but I remember the teams I played on, the field trips I went on (Birthplace of BC, Vancouver Symphony Orchestra) and my time in the gym before and after school.
I remember one good teacher from those 12 years.

On another note, as we were raising money for the playground as we had turned a high school into an elementary school with only a soccer field, one father told us that "school is for learning, NOT for playing! You should not be raising money for a playground!"
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I guess it depends on what you do for a career but you don't know what that is until you are out of school. I never thought I would do trigonometry in the real world while in high school but it comes up regularly now.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

All I ever really needed to know I learned in Kindergarten.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

No, I really learned a ton after that.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I was taught how to have a nap in kindergarten (and not successfully). I've learned a lot more since.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
CarMa
Übergod

Post by CarMa »

Some very interesting points. I'll weigh in...

• One learns sports in many ways, similar to academics, music, arts, etc. We model behaviour and process for students so that they can SEE what quality looks like. We ask them to DO the work, SHOW the behaviour. PRACTICE. REPEAT. Attending the game is a good lead-in to intramural winter activities where floor hockey is extremely popular. Children can SEE what hockey looks like, how players work together to achieve their goal (pun not intended). If they were going to multiple games during school time, this would probably be overkill on the "modeling" phase of the learning to play.

• Yes, most children can watch on television. Of course, there is no more Hockey Night in Canada available over the "free" airwaves since CBC went off analog this summer. Cable and internet cost a lot of money each month. Many on these forums call those services "fluff" for families living in or on the edge of poverty.

• Students visit museums and art galleries to SEE history and art, symphonies to HEAR music, sporting games to EXPERIENCE community spirit and team play. Yes, they can do this in semi-VIRTUAL world of television and computers but nothing compares to seeing real people up close living their dreams, contributing to society, and enjoying arts and sports.

It's all about moderation and balance.

Return to “Central Okanagan”