Vernon Man Arrested in Illegal Gun Case

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Vernon Man Arrested in Illegal Gun Case

Post by Smurf »

Got a link to prove that RW. I'd like to see it.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

...because tickets to see Celine Dion and 100,000 worth of "gifts" spread out over a organization (which are a matter of public record and transparent) are totally worth risking your organization and criminal charges.

Or could it be that the police liked to check the registry before they pulled up to a domestic disturbance call to see how many shotguns the husband has available?

That whole not-wanting-to-die thingie?
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Treblehook wrote:That is quite a rant, but not particularly accurant on any count. The Firearms Legislation wasn't brought on by the RCMP but it was supported at the outset by the Canadian Assoc of Chief's of Police who represented all police forces, big and small. Honest gun owners and hunters were never the problem, but improperly secured firearms were always a problem in terms of them falling into the wrong hands... be that criminals or children. Bear spray in the hands of irresponsible people with criminal intent is not a good thing at all. Having your wife and kids bear sprayed and car jacked by some crackhead idiots would not be a good thing I am thinking. The easier it is to get, the more prevalent it will be in the hands of criminals. There definitely needs to be some common sense inserted into the equation as to who can just walk in to a sporting goods store and walk out with it. You seem to be focusing all the problems of society on the police which is both inaccurate and narrow minded. Take your police bashing somewhere else, this was a thread about a bad guy contributing to the prevalence of all manner of restricted firearms on our streets!

no legislation is brought in by the police but they whine and cry and say its needed for public safety.
meaning they want it for their reasons.
of course they want to have full control of guns, then only they will eventually have them.
now look in the news the same assoc of police is saying they need the rights to monitor our cell phones when the want with no warrants.
so no guns, no privacy rights and they want to hand out sentences on the street with no judges.
hmmmm doesnt that sound familiar?
ohh ya the SS in germany.
Canadians have or should have the rights to guns unless you are proven unsafe.
i dont agree with full auto weapons but why should people have no rights to them if they havent broken any laws?
as for the issue of improper storage, maybe its time the government stopped punishing people because a thief broke into their house and took something.
if i want to hang my rifles on my living room wall not hidden and in the open its my damn right.
its a crime when you cant protect yourself because you are told you cant have bullets near a gun.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Smurf wrote:Got a link to prove that RW. I'd like to see it.

BULLSHHHHHIIITTTT.... excuse me!
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Ken7 wrote:BULLSHHHHHIIITTTT.... excuse me!

yes because we know they are above corruption and companies never offer tiny bribes or payoff's.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

"Because the company that built the registry software gave the Canadian Chiefs of Police $105,000 in gifts for their annual convention. They even bought all the delegates tickets to a Celine Dion gala. That should be against some anti-corruption law, shouldn't it?"

You obviously have a reliable source for these statemts???
Last edited by Treblehook on Oct 26th, 2012, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

SurplusElect wrote:...because tickets to see Celine Dion and 100,000 worth of "gifts" spread out over a organization (which are a matter of public record and transparent) are totally worth risking your organization and criminal charges.

Or could it be that the police liked to check the registry before they pulled up to a domestic disturbance call to see how many shotguns the husband has available?

That whole not-wanting-to-die thingie?

Any cop who would rely on a negative response for firearms in a residence, when attending a domestic violence complaint, would have rocks in his head. The response from the firearms registry would/should have no bearing whatsoever on the tactical approach or entry into the residence or for the officer survival tactics that need be employed while there. Every cop in Canada was fully aware of the real possibility of unregistered firearms being present in any house or premise. That is the "joke" part of the firearms registry being of any value in terms of officer safety.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

free the guns !
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Treblehook wrote:"Because the company that built the registry software gave the Canadian Chiefs of Police $105,000 in gifts for their annual convention. They even bought all the delegates tickets to a Celine Dion gala. That should be against some anti-corruption law, shouldn't it?"

You obviously have a reliable source for these statemts???

Obviously, I have many. You guys should get yourselves familiar with Google. My apologies for my typing, it was $115,000 rather than the $105,000 I earlier fonted. Apologies will be accepted from Ken7 and Treblehook.

http://www2.macleans.ca/tag/cgi-group/

Dr. Jones and the members of the ethics committee were in Montreal in August for two days of meetings around the CACP’s annual conference when they learned about Taser’s sponsorship and that of others, including a joint Bell Mobility-CGI Group-Techna donation of $115,000, which went toward the purchase of 1,000 tickets at $215 each to a Celine Dion concert on Aug. 25.

http://www.bluelikeyou.com/2010/09/04/s ... un-debate/

There was barely a ripple within the mainstream media when ethicist Dr. John Jones suddenly resigned his position on the CACP’s ethics committee last year. The whole committee had been warning the CACP board of directors for some time that they should stop taking money from organizations they do business with – the ethics committee said it’s a clear conflict of interest.

In April 2009, media reports confirmed the CACP accepted about $115,000 from CGI Group, a Bell Mobility affiliate. Is it mere coincidence that CGI is the software contractor for the gun registry and the chiefs’ organization is strident in its support for the registry? The CGI donation was used to send CACP conference delegates to a Céline Dion concert. The CACP annual galas are legendary for their opulence as cities compete to out-do the conference before. During this year’s gala in Edmonton on August 22-25, the media reported that the chiefs voted unanimously to support the gun registry.

“I resigned on a matter of principal,” Dr. Jones explained to the CSSA. “I was deeply discomfited that Celine Dion tickets were supplied to CACP by Bell and a couple of other sponsors at their Montreal conference. They were handed out to delegates. It didn’t sit well with me because if a front line officer takes so much as a cup of coffee, they are considered to be in a conflict of interest. I thought it was hypocritical on the part of those chiefs to accept those tickets.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article ... esignation

At the 2008 conference in Montreal, Jones said he was further dismayed to learn delegates were being given free Céline Dion concert tickets, with half the aggregate cost of the tickets covered by a joint Bell Mobility-CGI-Group Techna donation of $115,000.

"The rank and file in a police organization are warned about accepting any freebies, that in fact (it) could be subject to discipline," said Jones.

He was therefore "shocked" that chiefs of police "who invoke that expectation ... would then avail themselves of $215 Céline Dion tickets," Jones said. "There's an embedded hypocrisy there."
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

lots of corruption all over the place .. this poor guy is gonna be locked up for a while over some gangster toys .. does not seem rite to me .. wait till he shoots someone charge him then . this charging someone before they do anything wrong is bogus .. why should cops and the army have weapons if the ppl cant have weapons does that make sense ??

FREE THE GUNS
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The police chiefs made their decision on the gun registry long, long before any convention was given this money. If it was given. They decided that they needed and used the information.

And as far as money being given....... anybody think that the Conservative party got anything from gun and ammo manufacturers? Or doesn't that count?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

bob vernon wrote:The police chiefs made their decision on the gun registry long, long before any convention was given this money. If it was given. They decided that they needed and used the information.

And as far as money being given....... anybody think that the Conservative party got anything from gun and ammo manufacturers? Or doesn't that count?

Got any credible links to back up any of your assertions, Mr Vernon?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Both sides can debate the need for a gun registry , or the rights of people to posses certain weapons all day long and it doesn't matter. This guy involved himself in something that was illegal , and he knew it was illegal. He took the risk of being caught in exchange for the likelihood of financial gain. Pretty much exactly the same as any other criminal venture , be it guns , drugs , bank robbery , shoplifting , fraud , whatever. The rest of us have to go out and work every day just to scrape by. No sympathy here for those who want the big score and are willing to endanger others to get it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”