Did students get out school to attend a Warriors game?

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Did students get out school to attend a Warriors game?

Post by grammafreddy »

Sure makes one feel sorry for all those poorly educated, culturally starved, small town rural kids who have no museums, art galleries, indoor swimming pools and skating rinks, symphonies or semi-pro sports teams, doesn't it? Poor buggers have to go to school to learn stuff - or have their parents actively participating in their lives doing things with them.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

jennylives wrote:No, I really learned a ton after that.

So did I. But I don't use it much. At least, not the academics.
I learned no academics in school that I could not have learned on my own in a library.
I'm pretty sure the only thing I learned in school that I used in any workplace was reading and typing.
Last edited by OnTheRoadAgain on Oct 27th, 2012, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

grammafreddy wrote:Sure makes one feel sorry for all those poorly educated, culturally starved, small town rural kids who have no museums, art galleries, indoor swimming pools and skating rinks, symphonies or semi-pro sports teams, doesn't it? Poor buggers have to go to school to learn stuff - or have their parents actively participating in their lives doing things with them.

or not.
or using them to work on the farm.
and yes, they can be quite culturally starved.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

grammafreddy wrote:Sure makes one feel sorry for all those poorly educated, culturally starved, small town rural kids who have no museums, art galleries, indoor swimming pools and skating rinks, symphonies or semi-pro sports teams, doesn't it? Poor buggers have to go to school to learn stuff - or have their parents actively participating in their lives doing things with them.

I dunno about that. We lived in small towns most of my school years,,, I remember being taken to Regina for an RCMP Ride thing,,, was great. We went to parks for a picnic kind of a day out. To other schools for their events, a couple years we went to a school for the disabled and we were to spend the day with someone just to support them and help them with their winter games thing they did. We were all in the same grade and age levels so it was just to mingle us with them so they got a whole different level of socialization not normally there for them at their school, was quite a cool idea. We did the town libraries even tho we had one in the school and were taken to places by bus often. Challenged other schools in games.
Not a small town this time but when I was in Prince George our class was taken by bus to Barkerville for a day. What a hoot that was. Not a sport but we got some history out of it, and some little tiny bits of gold.
I remember most of what I learned as a useful blurr part of my life that helped me do what I wanted to later but I really remember the outtings the most even in the small towns... One that stood out was the farming events. Seeing how grain elevators work, how cattle were raised and basically petting animals the rest of the day. Not that I learned lots I didnt already know there but it was fun anyway,,, also theater events,,, we were taken to other towns for those when I was in small towns that didnt have such a thing.
I think the OP just wanted to fire up a heated thread to get people going because if he really didnt get to do these things then he was ripped off badly, maybe was placed in a private school where they cut those things short possibly to save money but this is nothing new. I remember often taking a note home from school to ask my mom for money to spend while going out to an event like theater, or for her to send a special lunch for a day trip or certain clothing needed for the trip. Balance is a good thing.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

Back in my day when there was a basketball tournament going on and we got out of last block because our school was playing the opener ... great way to promote the tournament.
Oh, and for the record the same thing happened for any major school plays going on - free block to go watch the play dress rehearsal.

Both events charged $$ to others ... not exactly a proper "business", but still supporting local community events.

Just curious, for those whinging about this, how many knock off work a wee bit early some times?? Or extended coffee breaks?? Or browsing Castanet forums when they should be working on spreadsheets??
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

off topic removed
Last edited by OnTheRoadAgain on Oct 27th, 2012, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

You are veering a bit off topic here, people.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark. In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and the not at all. The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours.
Disneyland

Post by Disneyland »

I attended and had a great time with the my child and his friends watching the game. I think is was a fabulous opportunity, I donated my non perishible food item etc.. It was great that Warriors and other businesses (Subway, Booster Juice) made this happen. If I felt this was of no benefit as a parent I wouldn't have signed the permission slip. GREAT JOB BY THE WARRIORS TO ORGANIZE THIS EVENT!!!!!
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

What about giving other businesses and sports the opportunity to partnering up to advertise there products too? Okanagan Sun, Okanagan Challenge, Kelowna Chiefs, Kelowna Rockets and other sports. They have major sponsors also that need exposure to younger markets. Why stop at the Warriors?
Last edited by averagejoe on Oct 29th, 2012, 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Disneyland wrote:I attended and had a great time with the my child and his friends watching the game. I think is was a fabulous opportunity, I donated my non perishible food item etc.. It was great that Warriors and other businesses (Subway, Booster Juice) made this happen. If I felt this was of no benefit as a parent I wouldn't have signed the permission slip. GREAT JOB BY THE WARRIORS TO ORGANIZE THIS EVENT!!!!!

They could have done it during an evening game. NOT during school hours.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

kumazatheef wrote:Back in my day when there was a basketball tournament going on and we got out of last block because our school was playing the opener ... great way to promote the tournament.

This wasn't a business running the games.
Last edited by averagejoe on Oct 29th, 2012, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

then it wouldn't have been called a field trip
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

averagejoe wrote:
kumazatheef wrote:Back in my day when there was a basketball tournament going on and we got out of last block because our school was playing the opener ... great way to promote the tournament.

This wasn't a business running the games.

Did the students get to go for free?
Oh, and when we went to the museum we had to pay, is that considered a business? How about the time we got to go to see "Phantom of the Opera" in Vancouver, for which we had to pay (of course, al get permission which sounds similar to this situation).

Does anyone here actually have kids that went to the game? Does anyone here actually have any kids in the applicable grades?
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

kumazatheef wrote:
Did the students get to go for free?
Oh, and when we went to the museum we had to pay, is that considered a business? How about the time we got to go to see "Phantom of the Opera" in Vancouver, for which we had to pay (of course, al get permission which sounds similar to this situation).

Again these are not business, but societies (not for profit). Good on those who organized those road trips. Not everyday (24/7) you can go to a museum or a play.

Return to “Central Okanagan”