Garbage/Recycling/Yard Waste Put Out the Night Before

Darlin06
Board Meister

Garbage/Recycling/Yard Waste Put Out the Night Before

Post by Darlin06 »

The people on our street seem to think its alright to put their waste bins out the night before pick up. There are 2 of us in this cul de sac who do not. On any Tuesday night, you can drive to our street and everyone's bins will be out between 5 and 7pm...Sometimes early afternoon.
Last week the wind we had overnight was so terrible that there were a few garbage bins tipped over...Everything from paper, to hamburger to pieces of rotted fruit were scattered around...I even saw a couple "feminine products"...Then we have dogs, cats, and of course, all the birds who are picking through this garbage and moving it about...
I am curious, if someone were to call the bylaw office, would they actually come out and give warnings or tickets to 10+ homes on a block??
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." ~ Ann Landers
FreeRights
Guru

Re: Garbage/Recycling/Yard Waste Put Out the Night Before

Post by FreeRights »

Why not talk to your neighbors who do this and ask them not to?
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

FreeRights wrote:Why not talk to your neighbors who do this and ask them not to?

This is exactly why I am glad I do not live in a regular subdivision,be a bad day for the neighbours if they came over and bugged me about such trivial matters.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Asking a neighbour to do the right thing shouldn't get someone's ire up.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

Fancy wrote:Asking a neighbour to do the right thing shouldn't get someone's ire up.

But it does
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Everyone knows you're not to put garbage out the night before so I would just go to bylaw.

http://www.districtofwestkelowna.ca/Mod ... mentid=730
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

"This is exactly why I am glad I do not live in a regular subdivision,be a bad day for the neighbours if they came over and bugged me about such trivial matters.

That response seems to fit nicely into the position one might expect from today's "it's all about me" folks. And to suggest that the neighbors would experience a bad day should they approach the poster on the topic is pretty immature and self-centered to say the least. The Bylaw doesn't bring any undue hardship on anyone and is in place because it was recommended by the people who know about bear behavior and the jeopardy for people and bears when we habituate them to our streets and neighborhoods. It is those who violate the Bylaw who bring the problem into our neighborhoods. I wonder how they might feel if a neighborhood mother decided to go out for a walk and some air in the late evening only to startle and be mauled or killed by a bear? I guess that is a dumb question as I doubt anyone with such an attitude would acknowledge any responsibility for their actions anyway. Most decent people who live in regular subdivisions are undoubtedly grateful they don't have an anti-social bad neighbor to deal with!!!!
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

Then let bylaws deal with it,it is not your place. I would bet that most people are more then happy too have anti social neighbours...good fences make good neighbours.
chippermonkey

Post by chippermonkey »

The regional district should post stickers on the mailboxes and signs on the garbage trucks,
then people have no excuse. Pictures of trapped bears in cages on the trucks..
I think alot of people just don't know better... not tuned in...
They see the neighbor putting garbage out the night before so to save the hassle in the am
they put theirs out too.
monkey see monkey do...or if he does so can I.
Sadly its the bear that pays as he just does whats natural and follows his nose.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

The bears have gone to bed now, not to worry about them getting in your garbage.
Dogs, another story. Cats out roaming too.
Wind? Never even thought of that. Lock the lids, should be fine.
Not everyone gets up before 7am, even on garbage day, especially shift workers.
Some say ask your neighbours to put the garbage out for you. Sure, while I'm on vacation, not every week while I'm sleeping.

I drove through Glenrosa last garbage day and noted many cans of garbage and recycle bins that were not collected, among the empty ones.
The recycle bins were lids open, and overfilled. Some people don't realize that if they flattened everything the bin would hold more.

Why not just copy the bylaw and put it on their front door or mail box as a reminder? I know....not your job.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

OnTheRoadAgain wrote:The bears have gone to bed now, not to worry about them getting in your garbage.

bears are still active this time of year - look after your garbage. For example:

http://elkvalleybearaware.wordpress.com ... wn-fernie/

Bears are still around.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

LOL yes! If you live in Fernie, don't put your garbage out, the bears have not yet gone to bed!!!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I said "example" meaning bears are still around and could be well into November.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

chippermonkey wrote:The regional district should post stickers on the mailboxes and signs on the garbage trucks,
then people have no excuse. Pictures of trapped bears in cages on the trucks..
I think alot of people just don't know better... not tuned in...
They see the neighbor putting garbage out the night before so to save the hassle in the am
they put theirs out too.
monkey see monkey do...or if he does so can I.
Sadly its the bear that pays as he just does whats natural and follows his nose.

I was thinking the other day that in our neighbourhood many people leave out garbage too early and we have had bears tipping bins over and people obviously complaining to the extent a bear trap was left for a few days. There was even an article about this in the paper and the conservation guys saying people should be bear aware and not leave garbage out and a reminder it is against the bylaw.
Now having said all that people still continued to leave bins out, as if leaving it out but not on the road is ok. Duh! But where were the bylaw? It was a known issue so why weren't bylaw going to every house leaving reminders and threats of fines for non compliance. Why weren't the conservation guys taking note of every house with bins out and either leaving notes or contacting bylaw? Maybe even a big advertising board like realtors use that warns of bear activity and reminds people they may be fined for leaving bins out that could be left somewhere everyone can see it.
Maybe if warnings and then fines were being handed out word would get round and everyone would start acting responsibly
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

None of that matters to those who can't get out at 7am.

Return to “Central Okanagan”