Worksafe BC

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Worksafe BC

Post by Ken7 »

First experience with Worksafe BC. It was not a real pleasant dealing. I've never truly used them and I was unaware I personally had to report my injury directly to them.

In my past career, we reported to our supervisors who took the initiative to do the original report. I guess my past employer doesn't know she is required to file my injury with Worksafe as they have nothing from her and this occurred several months ago.

I hope they ride her backside!

Anyone else have any dealing with them? Am I maybe over-reacting or are all Worksafe employees next to GOD?
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Worksafe BC

Post by keith1612 »

well like most government offices now they are paid extra to screw the worker.
make sure you are safe and paperwork is all in line.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Ken7 wrote:First experience with Worksafe BC. It was not a real pleasant dealing. I've never truly used them and I was unaware I personally had to report my injury directly to them.

In my past career, we reported to our supervisors who took the initiative to do the original report. I guess my past employer doesn't know she is required to file my injury with Worksafe as they have nothing from her and this occurred several months ago.

I hope they ride her backside!

Anyone else have any dealing with them? Am I maybe over-reacting or are all Worksafe employees next to GOD?

Did they ( your employer ) at least fill out an incident report with you ? Sounds like you didn't see a Dr. either or he/she would have sent a report in to WorkSafe .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

We have dealt with them and had absolutely zero problems with them...........
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

My motto...

- Always tell a supervisor or another staff if you hurt yourself,
- If you can, write out an incident report or even a general note with date, time, incident and injury,
- Always go to the doctor (a walk-in clinic will do) the same day of the injury even if you don't feel too bad. For example, if you twist your back. It could really hurt the next day, or it could give you trouble at another time...it's very important to have doctor's report with worksafe.
- Keep a file of every piece of correspondence,

And something I hadn't done and wished I had ...
- ask for and record the name of anyone you speak to on the phone or see in the office and write the gist of the conversation, include the date and time. And even then, unless you get approval for treatment in writing, do not assume a yes over the phone means anything.

I ended up having to back pay for all the physio that had been approved by a holiday relief supervisor over the phone.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Good advice Freak to anyone dealing with any official business.

As for me, I had reported my injury to my boss. She did nothing, which she is bound by Work safe to report my injury.

Unknown to me, if you as an employee are injured you must also contact Work safe.

Like we all know that, right!

By the way the Work safe employee went at me, yes I became defensive. I was *bleep* my ex-boss failed to report as she’s is incompetent. Work safe became aware when my Doctor sent in their report.

A real attitude she had in my opinion. Further, I did not wish to receive any benefits from Work safe, I reported my injury in the event something more developed later. I did not miss any work etc.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

use your own due diligence and get a bulletproof file through your doctor. they will file right to wcb and your employer will get beach slapped for trying to sweep things under the rug. and the best part is the look on the supervisors or owners face when you tell them. and seeing them have to scramble after. they wont be in it for you if something happens after thats for sure. and wcb treats you like you are guilty until proven innocent.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

sooperphreek wrote:...and your employer will get beach slapped for trying to sweep things under the rug. and the best part is the look on the supervisors or owners face when you tell them. and seeing them have to scramble after.

WCB doesn't "beach slap" for failure to report. They simply ask to file a post-dated report.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

ya and it sure makes them look good doesnt it? puts their credibility at risk. plus the slap can be financial because rates may have to be adjusted.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

sooperphreek wrote:ya and it sure makes them look good doesnt it? puts their credibility at risk. plus the slap can be financial because rates may have to be adjusted.

Please don't talk about things you have no idea about. Rates are dependent on you incident history and classification and have nothing to do with "credibility". The only financial penalty is when they charge interest on late payment.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

sooperphreek wrote:use your own due diligence and get a bulletproof file through your doctor. they will file right to wcb and your employer will get beach slapped for trying to sweep things under the rug. and the best part is the look on the supervisors or owners face when you tell them. and seeing them have to scramble after. they wont be in it for you if something happens after thats for sure. and wcb treats you like you are guilty until proven innocent.

You don't have a clue. Employees hurt themselves in minor ways all the time and don't file incident reports. Only when they should happen to go to the doctor after the fact and happen to mention it happened at work, the doctor is then obligated to file with wcb. Slivers or cuts that end up infected days later or soft tissue injuries that just won't seem to get better as thought are common examples where the employer or supervisor may not have any clue an injury took place. WCB isn't going to beachslap anyone.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Captain Awesome wrote:
sooperphreek wrote:ya and it sure makes them look good doesnt it? puts their credibility at risk. plus the slap can be financial because rates may have to be adjusted.

Please don't talk about things you have no idea about. Rates are dependent on you incident history and classification and have nothing to do with "credibility". The only financial penalty is when they charge interest on late payment.

I think you know who I'm speaking of. If you can imagine, she had not done a report to Worksafe. She has trouble keeping up with payment of phone bills and others. :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:

If it was not for my Doctor submitting it would not be on record with them.

Sadly, as a Employee I was dumped on by Worksafe as I should have known the rules.

Ms._____ further had the nerve to suggest I call my ex-employer and ask her to file a report. Hmm, who's being paid to do a job??
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

The last time I was on WCB it took 6 months before they accepted the claim and in the meantime went through all kinds of grief with the employer who was actually the main holdup.

If WCB then says they are going to "expedite" your claim, you better talk to a legal advisor cuz you will get hosed. They are paid by the employer and their first loyalty is to the source of those $$.

Do not sign anything without advice and keep all your documentation cuz the longer your claim goes on the more prone it is to being "doctored" by WCB administrators who earn a larger commi$$ion off of your injury by getting you off the injured list ASAFP under the guise of due and diligent care.

They are NOT your friends...
Infinite rider on the big dogma...
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

We had a book in every shop at work. Every accident no matter how minor was supposed to be written up with a short explanation and signed (if possible) by the injured person. If there were witnesses they were to sign also. If not someone else was supposed to sign that they saw the actual injury, not necessarily the accident. It came in handy more than once that I can remember when something came up later. You had to be careful to fill it out properly in case it was ever reffered back to. It is the perfect solution because if it is done immediately when everything is fresh in everyones mind it is the perfect time to get things right.

I know I'll get jumped on for this but this is a perfect example for a union. If you have a union your rep should know all the proper steps to be taken and help you get things right in the fist place. For example they should know exactly what the rules are and what is expected of you.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

5VP wrote:The last time I was on WCB it took 6 months before they accepted the claim and in the meantime went through all kinds of grief with the employer who was actually the main holdup.

If WCB then says they are going to "expedite" your claim, you better talk to a legal advisor cuz you will get hosed. They are paid by the employer and their first loyalty is to the source of those $$.

Do not sign anything without advice and keep all your documentation cuz the longer your claim goes on the more prone it is to being "doctored" by WCB administrators who earn a larger commi$$ion off of your injury by getting you off the injured list ASAFP under the guise of due and diligent care.

They are NOT your friends...

what i love is when the employer and wcb make such a fuss about legitimate claims and try to get you to feel like you are the one who is guilty till proven innocent. its human nature for an employer to try and get away with it and make you the bad guy. but wcb plays along and then when it stretches out they get you to the point where you get paid less and you have to swallow it. expedite my ash. a meniscus injury in my knee that should have been 6 weeks at the most was 8 months. figure that one out. and it was at work and i told my foreman and left early. and saw the doctor shortly after.

Return to “B.C.”