Peachland or West Kelowna?

upandaway

Peachland or West Kelowna?

Post by upandaway »

Hi, my fiance, two children and I will be moving to B.C from MB next July and have narrowed the move down to either Peachland or West Kelowna. We would love some input on each in terms of family friendliness, schools, weather, things to do. Fiance has a job that he can continue after we move to B.C, but what is the job market like for labourers, manufacturing/production? (maybe in the future a job change to be closer to home.) We have done some research online and are aware of the difference in cost of living, but figure its time for a change while the kids are still young. Also, would love any advice from people who have made a big move like this in the past. Thanks in advance.
waterwings
Übergod

Re: Peachland or West Kelowna?

Post by waterwings »

Are you moving from a city like Winnipeg or a town like Roblin or a village like Kenville MB.
upandaway

Post by upandaway »

We are from Carberry, a town of about 1500.
kay-c
Board Meister

Post by kay-c »

you read enough of the threads you may not want to live near here at all :eyeballspin:
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

Hi there. West Kelowna has all the amenities you will ever need such as Superstore, Home Depot, etc etc etc. I am afraid that you would be driving for 20 minutes just to get to a Hardware store or anything like that if you live in Peachland, and I believe the housing is more expensive than West Kelowna. We moved to West Kelowna in March 2012 and think it is just great. We don't go into Kelowna unless we absolutely have to such as going to Costco.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

You know both have traffic lights with *advance* turn signal right? West Kelowna also have roundabout and a crumbling overpass.

If you move to Peachland you'll be able to enjoy friendly politics debates, like picking rocks from the beach. If you move to West-K, you'll be closer to shopping and from Mission Hill Winery, where you can enjoy drinking and concerts.

There's a third option, would be Westbank, close to West-K & Peachland. about the same size as West-K and offering pretty much the same stores and housing prices.

Oh yes, and you can do grocery shopping at 6am on a Sunday morning before going to church that's neat.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
upandaway

Post by upandaway »

Thanks! I do have an aunt who lives in West Kelowna, so we wanted unbiased input. It does sound great!! Also, do you get much snow? How are the winters in Kelowna?
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

upandaway wrote:Also, do you get much snow? How are the winters in Kelowna?

You may need this to shovel your driveway once in a while:

As for Winter driving, you can relate to this:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=36472
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
upandaway

Post by upandaway »

lol, nothing like here....This is sounding better and better!!
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

Just to keep things straight. Westbank is a community of West Kelowna and it has a very old shopping center where the West Kelowna is working on a plan to smarten things up. Most of West Kelowna's shopping district in on Westbank First Nation Land and it is pretty darn good shopping.

Occasionally a snow drift of 18 inches may pile up in the driveway however, winters are not, nada. nil, zip nothing like Manitoba winters. In fact, it will take you a couple of years to wear a coat out here in the winter. Don't let us knock you about over it most of us don't know about Manitoba winters but you can freeze your ears if you are out and about for hours. Mine froze from the house to the barn back in Manitoba.

There is lots do to in the Okanagan in the winter and summer. Some recreations you will have to drive to but no longer than 60 or so minutes.

OH Yeah, If the dirt is black in where you live bring buckets with you cause you will miss it. OUrs is pretty much brown and sandy although we have wonderful gardens. Way back when Shannon Lake (a community now) was pretty much the center of West Kelowna some enterprising individuals bulit a wharf on the lake to transport the wheat they were growing to market, But, the wheat didn't grow until almost the end of September when it rained and then the stuff froze at the end of October when winter showed it head. No wheat grows in the Okanagan bring that too if you think you will miss it.

If you like horses we have one of the best throughbred breeders in the Okanagan living in West Kelowna. You can watch the foals in the early spring boucning beside their moms.

You will like West Kelowna - our waters warmer than Peachland but PL has more grass than we do along the lake.
upandaway

Post by upandaway »

I definately will not miss the winters here in MB, although I know the kids will :( Where we are right now its a 25-30 minute drive to major shopping and nothing is open on Sundays in this small town. So, Westbank and West Kelowna are sounding pretty enticing! On another note, one thing that suprised us was that in BC you have to pay so much a month for healthcare?? Is that coverage for doctor visits, and hospital? Thanks again everyone for the input...Big help
peachlandnotary

Post by peachlandnotary »

We just moved to Peachland from a larger city and we absolutely love it. The majority of Peachland homes have a view of the lake and even if you don't have a view, the lake is a short drive away. We also have all of the perks of West Kelowna because it is about 5-10 minutes away, depending where you live in Peachland. My favourite part about this town is the people though... they are all amazing.
peachlandnotary

Post by peachlandnotary »

upandaway wrote: On another note, one thing that suprised us was that in BC you have to pay so much a month for healthcare?? Is that coverage for doctor visits, and hospital? Thanks again everyone for the input...Big help

I think the MSP is only $54 per month? The vast majority of employers will cover that for you and your family. And yes, it covers doctors visits and emergency medical, as well as x-rays and diagnostic stuff.
upandaway

Post by upandaway »

peachlandnotary wrote:I think the MSP is only $54 per month? The vast majority of employers will cover that for you and your family. And yes, it covers doctors visits and emergency medical, as well as x-rays and diagnostic stuff.

Okay, I'm pretty sure we could adjust to that. I love the idea of a small community in Peachland but I also like not having to drive far to do everyday shopping too. It's going to be a tough decision as both sound fantastic.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Peachland has an IGA right on the highway. Lots of smaller shops too.

Look carefully at the taxes levied on housing in Peachland and ask to see utility bills, esp. water bills. I believe they are higher.

I'd buy in Lakeview heights if I could, then I'd have the best of all of the Okanagan very close indeed. (I bought in downtown Kelowna).
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Central Okanagan”