Why not an Independent?

Assumed

Re: Why not an Independent?

Post by Assumed »

Well now....an interesting development. A Liberal independant. I would consider voting for them.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

twobits wrote:
krocky wrote:I hear tell that one of the disgruntled losing candidates from the Liberal nomination vote has indicated they might run as an independent. If that were the case then I would not vote independent as I would seriously have to question their motivation.

And the only reason for that would be to ensure the winning candidate lost to the ndp. Would MZ be that petty? You don't say who but I can't see Janice or Connie pulling such a stunt.

It would be a petty move indeed and they wouldn't get my vote. I'm sure they are all politically savvy enough to recognize that such a move would only help the NDP ... I can't see Mark, Janice or Connie pulling a stunt like that.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I agree, any of the Liberal runners up would have to see the futility in such a move, but it sure would make for some interesting electioneering. I'd be eager to listen to what kind of ideas they brought to the table. In party politics efficient running of the province/country has taken second place to getting/staying in power, an independent wouldn't be hampered by towing the party line, they could deal with issues of direct interest to this riding.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Rockitman

Post by Rockitman »

krocky wrote:I hear tell that one of the disgruntled losing candidates from the Liberal nomination vote has indicated they might run as an independent. If that were the case then I would not vote independent as I would seriously have to question their motivation.

Roger that.. In my opinion that "screams" hidden agenda.
Rockitman

Post by Rockitman »

-fluffy- wrote:In party politics efficient running of the province/country has taken second place to getting/staying in power, an independent wouldn't be hampered by towing the party line, they could deal with issues of direct interest to this riding.

My point exactly! Thankyou Fluffy..!! Most people still think their hands are tied and they have "no choice" but to vote for a party. Nothing could be farther than the truth and (in my opinion) the "only" way to change this nonsense IS to vote for an independent. If enough independents were to get elected (idealistic I know) we could eventually see the balance of power held by "people" who truly care and want to deal with the direct issues of the riding rather than "politicians" who just collect a pay cheque and sit around waiting to be "told" what to do. Imagine what could be accomplished. Change has to start somewhere. What was it Einstein said about doing the same thing over and over and hoping for a different result.
Assumed

Post by Assumed »

So now Twobits and Glassmaster think that a Liberal independent is a petty move yet they agree that a bending of the rules at the Liberal nomination meeting is O.K. What is the differance? Terminolgy!

An Independent may win.....Ashton is not popular in Penticton, unknown in Peachland and he does not admit that he lives in Summerland. The NDP nominees are not someone I would vote for. I would welcome a Liberal independent. They would take alot of the right vote and maybe get elected.

Trueindependent....are you considering running? Seems this forum started right after a letter appeared in the paper about an independent running in the May election.
Rockitman

Post by Rockitman »

Assumed wrote:I would welcome a Liberal independent.

Firstly, I don't think you're allowed to use the words Liberal and Independent in the same sentence.

Trueindependent....are you considering running? Seems this forum started right after a letter appeared in the paper about an independent running in the May election.

Secondly, you're right about one thing, the letter you are referring to "may" have been the inspiration for this forum. (assuming we are talking about the same letter)
Assumed

Post by Assumed »

I wish you or your friend the best of luck. I'm glad that I will have another choice for my vote.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Assumed wrote:I wish you or your friend the best of luck. I'm glad that I will have another choice for my vote.

Likewise !!!

Return to “Central Okanagan”