There's a bear in our back yard

1933-1939

There's a bear in our back yard

Post by 1933-1939 »

We live in Summerland and we had a bear in our back yard. it's a black bear but not very big. Must be a baby from last year. We live in town and this is the first bear I have seen here, in town. Pretty exciting for us... Poor thing must have been hungry.. :200: :goodnight:
1933-1939

Re: There's a bear in our back yard

Post by 1933-1939 »

Poor thing that's not nice to do... He is sooo cute and small!!
I know they don't stay small but now he/she is still cute... :smt114 :smt117
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

A fed bear is a dead bear.

Call Animal control and get it relocated.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

^^^^^absolutely!^^^^^
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Queen K wrote:Call Animal control and get it relocated.

I called a couple of months ago when I had a bear in my yard in summerland (I live pretty central too, so it was "in town") They took all my info and told me they don't do anything unless it is behaving in a threatening manner. The one I reported was a big one. Was a little surprised by the response, but it did move on and I have not seen it since.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

If most people realized how often bears come down into the orchards at night the phones would be ringing off the hook at the Fish and Wildlife department. If the bears wanted confrontations there would have been many by now.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

Queen K wrote:A fed bear is a dead bear.

Call Animal control and get it relocated.

Those are wise words.
1933-1939

Post by 1933-1939 »

They were called yesterday, but nothing was done about it. This morning we saw a truck pulling a small trailer with a big sign on it saying: 'LIFE BEAR INSIDE.". Guess more people saw it and the right person phoned in,....Pretty scary kids walking to school this morning.. Hopefully they will catch it alive and move it out of town. :2305:
Happy"halloweeing" tonight to all our cute little kiddies.. and some older once as well.
gecko_

Post by gecko_ »

From my experience and contact with animal control when you call and have them come and take a bear, its to be destroyed. I was told by an animal control officer studies show that relocation does no good, they just come back. Whether I believe those studies or not is my own opinion but next time if you have the bears best interest at heart, inquire further with animal control before you do something. And yes of course when its a matter of safety you must do what you must.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

I've had one eating my grapes in the Mission in Kelowna. They hang around at night and disappear, I guess. Thought about calling F&W, but I haven't seen it since. :shrug:
acidrain
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by acidrain »

If you report a bear eating garbage or acting aggressively to the Conservation office they will often trap and kill it.

6 bears have already been killed in Peachland in 2012: http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/front-page-news/aggressive-bears-killed.html

Return to “Central Okanagan”