Westside Development Under Siege.

Ditch Digger

Re: Westside Development Under Siege.

Post by Ditch Digger »

dirtguy wrote:
Ditch Digger wrote:For 3 courses and under. If you go over 4 blocks and aren't using bi-axial grid you are just asking for trouble.

um no :137:

Uhm yes. I've done over 15000 m2 of Lock Block Walls.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

i helped a now defunct (ritefully so) company build one of these garbage walls at ubco .. i remember it being a clusterflop of a job rite from the start .. some thong wearing brit was laying the block there was no grid and the thing near fell when we put the drain rock in behind it .. im afraid the problems in westbank r common to the lock block walls all over town .. bunch of guys trying to cut corners and doing it wrong .. im no expert but i know 100 percent that what i seen at the university that day was wrong .. and it sounds like the poor folks who bought at copper sky have a similar issue with there wall
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

[

um no :137:[/quote]

Uhm yes. I've done over 15000 m2 of Lock Block Walls.[/quote]

I'm not gonna start comparing qualifications with some random dude on the internet but if you have never installed a loc block wall higher then 3 courses without grid then you have a very limited base of experience. 15000 m2? I don't think so.
Ditch Digger

Post by Ditch Digger »

Same, no point, just wondering who the P. Eng is that stamps the designs for these walls. When pricing Lock Block the first thing you look at is the grid embedment length to determine your excavation/backfill quantities.
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

The Eng. was out of Abbotsford. He supplied stamped drawing’s for the wall and did do at least one inspection, The backfill did have density tests done but not all passed.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
blondewithbrains
Board Meister

Post by blondewithbrains »

Just some FYI for the OWNERS of the strata units...If you have a condo insurance policy that covers your belongings, please contact your insurance broker to find out how much coverage you have under that policy for Condominium Contingent Coverage. There is usually a section of your policy that will cover costs associated with the strata having to come to the owners of the units for excess funds to cover this kind of work that would be over and above any costs the strata can afford. So when they are talking about each owner having to come up with $5000 for the repair, that should be covered under your condo policy as long as you have one in force. The only issue is usually the owners have to be living in the unit to be able to have this coverage, if its a rented condo, please check with your broker for more info on that.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge.
bumblebuns
Fledgling

Post by bumblebuns »

Correct, Blondewithbrains, but only up to a point. The repairs have to be as a result of a peril insured against, not just any eventuality, in order for the insurance to kick in. And error in design, faulty workmanship and the like are not covered.
Bumblebuns
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

amazing shoddy work wouldnt be covered .. do they expect a common buyer to know more than the developer the home inspector the city ppl and the like ?? that seems a bit onerous
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

The city ( WFN ) would sign off on the design based on the consultants signing the schedule, if it is not a life and safety issue as per code the liability lies with the consultant. As a note WFN has signed off on following the BC building code.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished

Return to “Central Okanagan”