MLA Travel Expenses

CTF
Fledgling

Re: MLA Travel Expenses

Post by CTF »

Glacier wrote:I notice that no one has commented on how low Chrispy Clark's expenses were. I guess it's not news until it's bad?

I expect her expenses woud come out of the Office of the Premier budget.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

trueindependent wrote:Would you still support the Liberals and look the other way as has been done in the past.

For some reason you assume that anybody who critics you must be a Liberal supporter. I'm not. I'm not criticizing you because I think Liberal candidates are better, I criticize you because I think you're a sleazy wanna-be-politician with sleazy tactics who still have nothing of value to offer other than empty promises and cheap ways of scoring brownie points. Cause god knows we have enough of it in politics already, and more of it - courtesy of you - is not exactly "looking the other way". That would be along the lines of "same old bull poop, different candidate".

And hey, if you follow up on this issue, acquire the expense reports (supposedly they're public) through FOI request, figure out where the money (if the money) were overspent, suggest how they should have been lower, suggest what the real amount should have been, and tell us how the policy would be changed to prevent this from happening again - NOW YOU'RE LOOKING INDEPENDENT, now you're standing for something and not just empty promises of "I would travel cheaper, I promise!", now you would be offering some substance as opposed of capitalizing on emotions, making promises based on feelings, and not concrete information. And that would put ahead of 90% of other politicians.

But until this happens - you're just another sleaze ball who makes empty promises without even looking into issue, and scoring cheap shots on hot topic of the day.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

Captain Awesome wrote:For some reason you assume that anybody who critics you must be a Liberal supporter. I'm not. I'm not criticizing you because I think Liberal candidates are better, I criticize you because I think you're a sleazy wanna-be-politician with sleazy tactics who still have nothing of value to offer other than empty promises and cheap ways of scoring brownie points. Cause god knows we have enough of it in politics already, and more of it - courtesy of you - is not exactly "looking the other way". That would be along the lines of "same old bull poop, different candidate".

And hey, if you follow up on this issue, acquire the expense reports (supposedly they're public) through FOI request, figure out where the money (if the money) were overspent, suggest how they should have been lower, suggest what the real amount should have been, and tell us how the policy would be changed to prevent this from happening again - NOW YOU'RE LOOKING INDEPENDENT, now you're standing for something and not just empty promises of "I would travel cheaper, I promise!", now you would be offering some substance as opposed of capitalizing on emotions, making promises based on feelings, and not concrete information. And that would put ahead of 90% of other politicians.

But until this happens - you're just another sleaze ball who makes empty promises without even looking into issue, and scoring cheap shots on hot topic of the day.

I mean no disrespect but in fairness that is also how true independent came across to me as well. I might have not used as strong language to convey that point mind you. :cursor:
Rockitman

Post by Rockitman »

Captain Awesome wrote:For some reason you assume that anybody who critics you must be a Liberal supporter. I'm not. I'm not criticizing you because I think Liberal candidates are better, I criticize you because I think you're a sleazy wanna-be-politician with sleazy tactics who still have nothing of value to offer other than empty promises and cheap ways of scoring brownie points.

So let me get this straight, I make a comment you don't like because I don't have the tried and true facts at hand and that gives you the license to call me a sleaze ball, when you know nothing about me, have done no research, have no facts OTHER than your opinion, but somehow THAT's ok. Does anyone else see the irony here??

Let me ask you, he who by his own name thinks he's "AWESOME".. are you planning to run in the next election with all your righteous advise or is it all just "same old bull poop" different critic.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

trueindependent wrote:...when you know nothing about me, have done no research, have no facts OTHER than your opinion, but somehow THAT's ok.

Sure.

What's your name?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

I'm not sure how much more we need to know about you trueindependent. Your posts are pretty much about trashing any and all politicians and their parties. Then once you are done slamming everyone you suggest that electing an independent is the answer ... in fact, electing you is the answer. Seems that Captain Awesome hit the nail on the head.
Last edited by glassmaster on Nov 2nd, 2012, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockitman

Post by Rockitman »

glassmaster wrote: I have to agree with Captain Awesome ...

That's ok you ARE entitled to your opinion. Although, after reading all the posts on another topic, it behooves me how you could call someone else Sleazy.

Be that as it may it was not my intent to come off as I did and certainly not my intent to get sucked into the vortex of name calling and "personal" attacks just because someone chooses to comment or provide "THEIR OPINION". It would appear that I did get caught up in the rhetoric by referring to the "Liberals", as a whole, in a derogatory manner and for THAT, I apologize.

However, I make no bones about the fact that I have lost complete faith in the party politics that plague this province and I do believe that electing an Independent is the way to at least "start" the winds of change. I hope I am not the "only" one in this riding who thinks that way, but time will tell.

So, I will leave you to your name calling and personal attacks, if that's what makes you feel "strong" and save my energy to support someone who is "ACTUALLY" putting his money where his mouth is and is going to try to make a difference.

But, just so the record is straight,
glassmaster wrote: in fact, electing you is the answer

NEVER did I say that I was intending to run..!!! So how about you take some of your own advise and not make assumptions and spread innuendo as you so quickly chastised another poster for doing, on another topic.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

trueindependent wrote:So grammafreddy agrees with Captain awesome, no surprise there. (but I do like the wave, cute!)

At least the "Captain" offered some positive suggestions while grammafreddy, who claims to have been there, criticizes both the party system AND the possibility of electing an independent. In other words there is no answer so why bother to try.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, just complain.. and IF it is broke, well, still don't fix it, just complain more. Right Gramma..??

Getting snide with the electorate is really gonna win you a lot of brownie points. Snide is immature. Most politicians wait until after they are elected to get confrontational.

Are you serious about running as an independent?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Glacier wrote:I notice that no one has commented on how low Chrispy Clark's expenses were. I guess it's not news until it's bad?

Her expenses, just for May:
http://docs.openinfo.gov.bc.ca/D30292812A_Travel_Expenses_Christy_Clark_May_2012.PDF

Or January:
http://docs.openinfo.gov.bc.ca/D6107312A_Travel_Expenses_Christy_Clark_January_2012.PDF

Or how about August:
http://docs.openinfo.gov.bc.ca/TE0061_Travel_Expenses_Christy_Clark_August_2012.pdf

Not sure how they came up with such a low number for her travel expenses given the above, as her travel expenses in August alone were more than 4 times whats been suggested - must've been using one of those Liberal accountants or something.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I think trueindependant has made some valid points. Our political system has strayed a long ways from ideal, and for the most part we have become too accepting of the status quo with both politics and politicians. I agree that a strong presence of independent MLAs would be a good influence on the legislature, provided the independent members themselves were not cut from the same cloth that already adorns Victoria and Ottawa.

I also think that a tendency to argue the person instead of the point carries its own odour of sleazy.

This original topic of this thread is a good case in point. Realistically, how likely is it that Mr. Berisoff would meet any serious inquiry as to the exact nature of his expense claims head on? Or will he just wait it out knowing full well that any Freedom-of-Information requests would likely not see the light of day until well after his pension cheques are flowing?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

It is not impossible to have honest and caring politicians and three of the best I ever worked with were party people. Unfortunately, all of them quit because of party politics and being forced to toe the party line on issues they didn't agree with and that were contrary to what their electorate wanted or what was best for the people of BC. None went on as independents, although I think they could have been elected in their ridings if they had - they were well liked by their local population and were repeatedly elected - not one-time candidates.

All three got shut out by their party for not towing the line and not doing what the party wanted them to say and do. Their own party turned on them.

It happens - and it happens to the best ones. What we are left with are the lock-in-step politicians who are only in the game to further their own interests and line their own pockets.

In order to have strong independents in any government, the parties have to be broken up and/or reduced in power. The independents, however, don't have the megabucks behind them that the party ones have when it comes to election time. Until then, the parties will keep winning the majority of seats and the independents who do manage to get elected will be ineffective in government.

After a while, that brick wall starts hurting. :clueless:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

glassmaster wrote:I'm not sure how much more we need to know about you trueindependent. Your posts are pretty much about trashing any and all politicians and their parties. Then once you are done slamming everyone you suggest that electing an independent is the answer ... in fact, electing you is the answer. I have to agree with Captain Awesome ... he hit the nail on the head with his description of 'sleazy'.

totoramona wrote:I would suggest that it is almost always glassmaster's MO to "attempt to discredit [the poster's] behavior while conveniently sidestepping the issue at the center of the discussion". He is quick to judge the poster and usually uses that as his central argument. Just an observation. Most recently, any of my discussion surrounding the ACTIONS of Mark Ziebarth was quickly railroaded into a judgement of myself and my "assumed" affiliation with who HE likes to call "the no growthers". I just find that whenever I post here, glassmaster and I are usually on opposite sides of the fence, and he tries to discredit ME, but has little to back up his position on the ISSUE.

Hmmmmm!!!
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Skeena MLA Robin Austin says about 19-thousand dollars worth of his 54-thousand dollar travel bill was for a trip to Sri Lanka."I was invited by speaker Bill Barisoff to join him in attending the Commonwealth parliamentary association conference in Sri Lanka, which actually is where my parents were born, so I know the country quite well." Bill Barisoff is also the speaker of the house who approved the extra travel expenditure. It doesn't appear he's filed his own papers yet though as the trip is not reflected in his own expenses for the first half of the year.
Barisoff is not available for comment today.

Hmmmmm!!!!!
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

glassmaster wrote:Absolutely. Nothing concerns me more, than someone holding public office, that has never encountered backlash. To me, that signals someone who is saying everything that the people want to hear (a smooth politician) ... but it sure doesn't indicate that they are prepared to do or say something that may tarnish their image of perfection. I don't want to vote for someone that is 'liked' by everyone.
Personally, I look for someone who speaks their mind ... even if it gets them in trouble sometimes. At least you know who you are dealing with (or have a better idea).

totoramona wrote:He is quick to judge the poster and usually uses that as his central argument.

Hmmmmm!!
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

Am I judging the poster or calling the rhetoric when I see it? Maybe a bit of both. When you have the Rooster ... and Southy... Thinktank, XTsomething ... and now 'Mr. Independent' ..... well, I just thought a balance might be needed. Maybe not. I'll leave the ugly job to twobits, CT, Doubledown & a couple of others who navigate much better than I. All the best ... and make sure that you get out to vote. :sleepdeprived:

Return to “Central Okanagan”