Peachland or West Kelowna?

Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: Peachland or West Kelowna?

Post by Nebula »

upandaway wrote:I think the bat thing is quite interesting...Do they just stay where they are? Are they ever seen in Peachland? Say you are walking down the street, do you occasionally see a couple of bats fly by?

The roost in the Primary School attic is a maternity roost. Pregnant females arrive at the school in the spring, have their pups and nurse them through the summer. In the fall, they all leave. At the present time, no one knows where the males are or where they all are in the winter.

Any late spring/summer night, you can see bats flying around in the downtown area of Peachland. There are upwards of 2,000 bats in the attic once the pups are born. At dusk one can stand outside the school and watch them leave for their nightly feedings. It is really something.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

You will notice a great change in people between BC and Manitoba.
Be prepared for people to more not less judgemental.
No one will stop by without being invited.
Be prepared for the kids to have to learn a different way to play.
Be prepared for the kids to want more extra activites and wardrobes to keep up with next door.
Be prepared to simply say hi to your neighbour in a restuarant - there will be no pulling the tables together to share the meal.
Be prepared for cranky drivers.
Be prepared to hire all your help - neighbours and town folks will be too busy.
Don't laugh too loud in a store or block the aisles chit chatting.

There is lot of socieal difference between Sask and Manitoba and some parts of Alta when you move West.
upandaway

Post by upandaway »

waterwings wrote:Be prepared for the kids to have to learn a different way to play.

please explain
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Do make sure you have an extra bedroom or two with plenty of towels and bedding. Your home may be a pro bono hotel through tourist season. You will really love it if you enjoy being a host.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

The kids out here have cell phones that are connected to the internet.
31416ness

Post by 31416ness »

youhavegottobekidding wrote:Hi there. West Kelowna has all the amenities you will ever need such as Superstore, Home Depot, etc etc etc. I am afraid that you would be driving for 20 minutes just to get to a Hardware store or anything like that if you live in Peachland, and I believe the housing is more expensive than West Kelowna. We moved to West Kelowna in March 2012 and think it is just great. We don't go into Kelowna unless we absolutely have to such as going to Costco.

I have to agree with "youhavegottobekidding" we moved to West Kelowna from Winnipeg 2.5 years ago and we have no complaints about it. if you are looking for a job it will be better to stay in West Kelowna; that way you will have access to the market in Kelowna and WK.
Never pick a fight with an ugly person, they've got nothing to lose. (Robin Williams)
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

Either place is a great choice! Both have there pro and cons! I'm sure you will be happy with the one you choose! Welcome to the Okanagan!
Happytobehere
Fledgling

Post by Happytobehere »

Westbank. It's always been a good community to raise children. Families going back more than a century have done well here.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Hi, I just moved here 25 days ago from Alberta. I'm in the same boat your in, trying to figure out where I want to be. Right now I'm living in my motorhome in a gated rv park in Winfield. I thought I wanted to be here because I'm from a small town and don't like the city life but have decided Winfield isn't my choice. Yesterday, I took a drive to Peachland, Summerland, Penticton, Okanagan Falls, Oliver and Osoyoos. Osoyoos is way to hot in the summer, I liked Okanagan Falls and Peachland the best. Oliver is building a Correctional facility which will be opening in October, I checked this place out because I'll need to find employment but wasn't really keen on Oliver, so that was out. I do find BC wages are alot less than Alberta's plus they have a provincial tax, I'm hoping to get a job with Interior Health as my past employment had been with Alberta Health Services but will be taking a $7.00 per hr reduction in wages. So today I'm heading to Peachland to see what they have for healthcare jobs.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

I can't off hand think of a place with less opportunity .
Strong and free
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

OK Falls.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

[email protected] wrote:I'm hoping to get a job with Interior Health as my past employment had been with Alberta Health Services but will be taking a $7.00 per hr reduction in wages.

Ya, but the Okanagan makes up for the lower wages with higher prices on pretty much everything so it all balances out in the end.

/sarcasm
zayela

Post by zayela »

I guess the trade off is for the great climate and lifestyle.. Ive also moved to Kelowna a week ago from Vancouver Island and I loooove it !!
Fallguy007
Fledgling

Post by Fallguy007 »

i moved from winnipeg a few months ago, some stuff costs more(housing and fuel) how ever some stuff is less (income tax)

i like it so far.

one would think with all the retired people healthcare jobs would be booming
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Happytobehere wrote:Westbank. It's always been a good community to raise children. Families going back more than a century have done well here.

Bear in mind that being new in a community, the social circle formed by family networks going back more than a century is a tough crowd to break unless you have something to offer. New kids will be a novelty for a little while, then they get allocated their 'station' among peers, which could be really great, or equally ugly.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Central Okanagan”