What has happened with our laws?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
tarasbulba
Fledgling

What has happened with our laws?

Post by tarasbulba »

I find it truly amazing that a person who does something cruel with animals gets a bigger fine and longer jail sentence than someone who kills somone in thier car and the out pouring is huge for animals yet people seem to shrug off it off when another person is killed, Case in point, the guy is going to get something like 5 to 7 years in jail and a huge fine, but a guy who is speed racing through vancouver and kills a single pregnant mother of 3 get's, a years house arrest. Just doesn't make sense, sure I understand that animals do something to us, they win out hearts when thier first born and they are faithful to a fault, but what about people, don't we think the same of them,
I just find that there's more compassion from people when it comes to thier pets over thier own kind, people will give a small donation when it comes to helping others find a cure for something bad but they think nothing of, like a guy on TV once said " yah costs us 20 grand in vet bills" and it was just a run of the mill dog.....blows me away
Dash5
Übergod

Re: what has happened with our laws??

Post by Dash5 »

tarasbulba wrote:I find it truly amazing that a person who does something cruel with animals gets a bigger fine and longer jail sentence than someone who kills somone in thier car and the out pouring is huge for animals yet people seem to shrug off it off when another person is killed, Case in point, the guy is going to get something like 5 to 7 years in jail and a huge fine, but a guy who is speed racing through vancouver and kills a single pregnant mother of 3 get's, a years house arrest. Just doesn't make sense, sure I understand that animals do something to us, they win out hearts when thier first born and they are faithful to a fault, but what about people, don't we think the same of them,
I just find that there's more compassion from people when it comes to thier pets over thier own kind, people will give a small donation when it comes to helping others find a cure for something bad but they think nothing of, like a guy on TV once said " yah costs us 20 grand in vet bills" and it was just a run of the mill dog.....blows me away

I dunno, the more I get to know people (especially here on Castanet!! :sillygrin: ), the more I like my dog.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

tarasbulba wrote:and it was just a run of the mill dog.....blows me away

There's no such thing as "just a run of the mill dog". Whether it's a Heinz 57 or a purebred, dogs and cats are part of their family and a life-long commitment to most. Not talking about the abusers out there who, in my opinion, should be dealt with as harshly as possible.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Maybe sentencing goes in sequence of worst punishment now

Worst offense: Stealing money

Medium offense: harming animals

Minimal offense: killing people.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

What law? We have any?
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

There are quite a few laws. Next time you see a bylaw officer, ask about them :sillygrin:
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

I Love my pets, and am glad to see harsher penalties foe animal abusers. That said I agree with the op .Why, are the penalties so light when it comes to human abuse?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

While street racing, as the example given, is extremely reckless, there is usually no intent to harm others. Abusing an animal usually involves intent to do harm. I know in the minds of many, causing the death of a person in this way is no different than murder, but that's not a debate I'm trying to start here.

The law views accidents differently than cases where harm was done intentionally. If you accidentally caused the death of your dog, there would likely be no legal ramifications at all.

If you compare apples to apples...murdering a human vs murdering an animal, I think you'll see our courts do indeed value human life over that of an animal.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
5VP
Übergod

Post by 5VP »

JayByrd wrote:While street racing, as the example given, is extremely reckless, there is usually no intent to harm others. Abusing an animal usually involves intent to do harm. I know in the minds of many, causing the death of a person in this way is no different than murder, but that's not a debate I'm trying to start here.

Good example of the disconnect we've been led to buy into by the corporate world that, just like your dog, automobiles are our cutesy benign, faithful and reliable friends too.

That street racing is considered to have no intent to harm others, is entirely opposite to the reality that, if you deliberately drive your vehicle in a street race you have made the conscious decision to act in a manner anathema to good driving practices and public safety and have therefore abrogated any claims to "accidentally" harm or kill another living being.

To say there is usually no intent to harm in a street race is like saying "Yes, I pulled the trigger but the bullet came out of the gun before I had time to change my aim away from the victim's location and it should be considered the victims fault for not knowing to get out of the way of my harmless intentions."
Infinite rider on the big dogma...
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I'm with Jaybird on this one.
mexi cali
Guru

Re: What has happened with our laws?

Post by mexi cali »

I dunno, the more I get to know people (especially here on Castanet!! ), the more I like my dog.

well said. For me, it comes down to animals never, ever ask to be abused but they are. Us humans, on the other hand act in ways that cause (I am not justifying here) some of us to leave our faculties behind and lash out at each other in violent ways.

We who own pets made the conscious decision to get them and we owe them a life full of love which is what they offer us.

I know this will raise the ire of many who read these threads but I do feel more compassion, much more for animals who are injured than I do for people.

We control our environments for the most part but animals, in the case of pets, rely on us for protection, nurturing, companionship and love. They rely on us for a safe environment and we owe it to them to provide it.

Any one who can willfully harm an animal is not worthy.

I personally think that crimes against animals should bring about much heavier fines and jail time than what we have available to us through the law today.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
zensiert
Board Meister

Post by zensiert »

Graphite wrote:Maybe sentencing goes in sequence of worst punishment now

With the current world population having just breached 7 billion, we could do with a few less humans on the planet. Whether that comes from a mass exodus into space or a particularly virulent and fatal pathogen that has a long incubation period, it doesn't really matter. Space is dangerous enough to chlorinate the shallow end of the gene pool just as well as any pathogen.
I am insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

zensiert wrote:
Graphite wrote:Maybe sentencing goes in sequence of worst punishment now

With the current world population having just breached 7 billion, we could do with a few less humans on the planet. Whether that comes from a mass exodus into space or a particularly virulent and fatal pathogen that has a long incubation period, it doesn't really matter. Space is dangerous enough to chlorinate the shallow end of the gene pool just as well as any pathogen.

WAT. ಠ_ಠ

29683366[1].jpg
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I prefer animals to humans
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Static wrote:I prefer animals to humans

Unconditional love. However, animals are thought of as property and the push is on to change that view. As far as vehicular manslaughter - that law should change too.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Social Concerns”