Dan's campaigning has started and on your dime?

southy
Lord of the Board

Dan's campaigning has started and on your dime?

Post by southy »

Where's XT .. this should get him stirred up! It hasn't taken Dan Ashton long to put on his "I'm running for the Liberal's smile" and start getting out into the rural areas. Check this out from MyNaramata.com:

http://www.mynaramata.com/show3584a/Pol ... Hot_Water_

Friends in Naramata tell me they haven't seen Ashton in their part of the woods forever, then all of sudden - BAM there he is.

Twobits and Glassmaster ... back off before you even start. Is he really doing his job as head of RDOS or is he simply taking advantage of a new photo op? Hummm .. interpretation time I'd say. I say we should keep a running total of all the Dan Ashton photos and print/electronic stories involving him from now till the election. I think most will be surprised just how much press one individual can get.

Haven't seen today's Okanagan Saturday yet but would be willing to bet there has to be an Ashton photo, story or both in it.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Dan's campaigning has started and on your dime?

Post by fluffy »

He's promoting pairs showering. Sounds like a unique platform plank. Where does he stand on same-sex showering? Or bringing in workers from out of the country to shower with? Or letting Chinese state investors buy up all our tubs?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

deleted.trip
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

One can only hope that he'll get voted in so we will finally be rid of him and his defenders.He can take all my dimes if it helps the cause.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

madmudder wrote:One can only hope that he'll get voted in so we will finally be rid of him and his defenders.He can take all my dimes if it helps the cause.

This is a very hard pill to swallow for most of us but we must look at what's best for the city folks and RDOS communities. We have to promote ol Dan and get him gone next May. Can you imagine how miserable he would be if he lost? He would step right back into things locally and wear both hats again. No thankyou. Interestingly, he won't make any waves for the next few months at all and will try to please everyone, in order to gain votes. However once elected to the Liberals, do you REALLY think he will listen to the electorate? Not likely; he will do exactly as Dan Albas has done; tow the party line and follow his leaders every whim. Sad but true.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

southy wrote:
Friends in Naramata tell me they haven't seen Ashton in their part of the woods forever, then all of sudden - BAM there he is.

Twobits and Glassmaster ... back off before you even start. Is he really doing his job as head of RDOS or is he simply taking advantage of a new photo op?

I would love to back off from your posts southy ... but, you do make that difficult. In the interest of truth, thought some might like to know ... that the picture of Dan Ashton and Karla (that you have referred to) was taken at an RDOS meeting in Penticton last Thurs, not in Naramata as you have suggested.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

southy wrote: or is he simply taking advantage of a new photo op?

Glassmaster ... please read my post again. No where does it say Ashton was physically IN Naramata. It's his face that shows up out of the blue on a Naramata Community Board. Opportunist? You betcha!!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

southy wrote:Friends in Naramata tell me they haven't seen Ashton in their part of the woods forever, then all of sudden - BAM there he is.

and then he wrote:No where does it say Ashton was physically IN Naramata.

Off on a technicality?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Deleted by Trip
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Interesting bit on CBC Radio yesterday morning on truth in politics. It was mainly centered on what is going on south of our border and the current presidential election, but had some interesting viewpoints on the fine line between BS and "spin". I think anyone watching politics anywhere should be more than aware of the basic motivation that drives the political beast, not the least of which are things like "brand placement" and "name recognition". Is Dan already running for MLA? That would be a subjective argument at best but I'm sure that the value of getting his face in the news is not lost on him. He's a politician, it's what they do. Complaining about that is pretty much akin to whining about the weather.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

-fluffy- wrote: I think anyone watching politics anywhere should be more than aware of the basic motivation that drives the political beast, not the least of which are things like "brand placement" and "name recognition".

I agree in principle but are we not somewhat responsible for this? I think most people tend to vote brand or name recognition rather than substance and politicians pick up on this so what choice do they have? If we put more emphases on what they stood for rather than "who" they are or "what" they do perhaps this anomaly would change.

Case in point. Our current government will spend millions of tax dollars on, television, radio, and print ads "convincing" us of how well they are doing. Many will "buy" into this and few will complain about it so how then would we expect it to stop.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

krocky wrote:
-fluffy- wrote: I think anyone watching politics anywhere should be more than aware of the basic motivation that drives the political beast, not the least of which are things like "brand placement" and "name recognition".

I agree in principle but are we not somewhat responsible for this? I think most people tend to vote brand or name recognition rather than substance and politicians pick up on this so what choice do they have? If we put more emphases on what they stood for rather than "who" they are or "what" they do perhaps this anomaly would change.

Case in point. Our current government will spend millions of tax dollars on, television, radio, and print ads "convincing" us of how well they are doing. Many will "buy" into this and few will complain about it so how then would we expect it to stop.

Fluffy and Krocky thank you ... absolutely correct. Dan Ashton is no exception to brand placement and name recognition. Lets step back just alittle. Do you think the Liberals knew who they wanted before this candidate was elected? Sure they did. Do you think DA knew what was happeing? Sure he did. Dan's Liberal campaigning began the minute he won the last civic election and took over as Chair of the RDOS. He played the media and continues to. Both won ... the Liberals got the best guy who had the best branding in Penticton and area, They got a guy who could give them continuous recognition from now through to the actual provincial election simply by he being mayor of Penticton and Chair of the RDOS ... what a bonus. How will either of the 2 NDP candidates compete with this? Very difficult. Can someone please tell me what Dan Ashton stands for provincially?? I'm sure this will come out sometime soon, but would really like to know. (Dan are you reading this?)
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

I am perplexed by all this disparaging talk about our Mayor Dan Ashton?
Is there no respect for a man who, has dedicated the past years in service to the people of Penticton?

Certainly there were a few hiccups during his tenure, but surely the cost of these trivial peccadillos, will be seen as a mere bagatelle to the citizens of our fair city?

I am prepared to forgive Dan his ‘stumbles”, and should I bump into him on the street , I would shake his hand, slap his back , and shout “hail fellow well met!” and wish him all he deserves in the coming election .

He will surely get my vote.

Now where’s the single malt……
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

hoot wrote:I am perplexed by all this disparaging talk about our Mayor Dan Ashton?
Is there no respect for a man who, has dedicated the past years in service to the people of Penticton?

I really don't think it has anything to do with a lack of respect for Ashton. It's about whether or not he will step up and stand for "something" or will he play on his "name" recognition to get elected and then fall right into line with the Liberal party ideals. We need representation, I think there are many people who don't believe we got that with Barisoff, present company included, so the question is, will Ashton be any different.?
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

It's about whether or not he will step up and stand for "something" or will he play on his "name" recognition to get elected and then fall right into line with the Liberal party ideals"

When he gets elected, and trust me when I say , many many Pentictonites are wishing him every success, Dan will be a small fish in a big pond .

Thankfully, he will in all likelihood be a member of the loyal opposition, and as such will be restricted as to how much "input" (read damage) he can inflict on the BC electorate.

Sadly the people of Penticton will not have the true representation they deserve, but hey, we all have to make sacrifices for the better good........

Return to “Central Okanagan”