Remembrance Day

greylady

Remembrance Day

Post by greylady »

Next week we will again remember the fallen soldiers who gave their ultimate in order to preserve our freedom.

In amongst the preparations for this solemn ceremony we learn stories of ongoing suffering that the living veterans encounter on a daily basis. And the cutbacks to services afforded these veterans. Even decent, dignified burials are often refused because of 'eligibility requirements' to veterans whose income exceeds the paltry $12,500 PER YEAR!!

I will suggest something here that I am sure will get me hung, drawn and quartered by most of you:

How about we do away with the mega ceremonies in all the big cities and the pomp and circumstance, the televised coverage and the costs that are incurred in this? Leave it to the communities, the Legions themselves in small towns, municipalities etc. to hold their own solemn ceremonies.

Living in the small community of Peachland for 17 years, I never did miss a Remembrance Day ceremony. The community held their own gathering and the Legion hosted the (adult) public afterwards with meals (the Community Hall provided refreshments for the kids) and as I recall it did not break the bank because donations from individuals and businesses were sufficient to defray any kind of costs.

The money saved from the Federal and Provincial mega ceremonies then could be used to fund things like:
George Derby Hospital long term staff to keep the residents with familiar care givers.
Medical aids such as walkers, wheelchairs and other personal care items.
Increase the paltry veteran's allowance by even a few more dollars per month.
Relax eligibility requirements slightly so that dignified funerals for our veterans is possible.

Of course, there are many more things that could be added to the above list, but I think in this age of restraint, government cutbacks, there is little justification in spending huge dollars for politicians' photo ops - let's spend it on those remaining who require as much support as we can give them. And I mean NO disrespect to those who gave their lives in service to our country. We will never forget them.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Remembrance Day

Post by grammafreddy »

May as well - since even our own PM can't be bothered to be in his own country for Remembrance Day.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

just read a letter to the editor ( Vancouver sun?) saying the Legion isn't helping Vets so don't buy a Poppy.
It was important to my Mother so I give and try to honor the day
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
greylady

Post by greylady »

normaM wrote:just read a letter to the editor ( Vancouver sun?) saying the Legion isn't helping Vets so don't buy a Poppy.
It was important to my Mother so I give and try to honor the day

Link please....
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

it was in the Sun ( sorry I read a lot of papers on the weekend )
http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/let ... story.html
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Its not the legions that will not help veterans. Its Veterans Affairs in Ottawa that is difficult to deal with.
So do not blame the legions in this.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Bunch of shrieking twits disrupt Toronto memorial service. Take the shame.

Canadians honored the nation’s 158 soldiers who have died in the Afghanistan war during a remembrance ceremony in downtown Toronto on Sunday. It was not a political event by any stretch of the imagination.
But that didn’t stop two women, who claimed to be “Afghan women,” from screaming at the participants at the ceremony, making known their opposition to Canada’s involvement in the war. The incitement led to a chaotic scene where fists were thrown and police intervention was needed.

video:

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2012/11/wild- ... -dead.html
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

They have the right to address the loss of their loved ones at our hands/occupation.

Support the troops, do not support the insanity that sends them to their graves.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

OK, you've now exercised your freedom to express your political views on rights and armed conflict ... now tell me you can't see anything wrong with their choice of timing? You can't? Well then, have i got a Westboro Baptist Church for you.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."

Return to “Canada”