BC Conservative Party option.

Discuss the upcoming provincial election. Keep it civil in here, people. It's not the Political Arena.
ScottSA
Fledgling

Re: BC Conservative Party option.

Post by ScottSA »

George+ wrote:Good for the Conservatives.

Van Dongen has a 'seamy' personal side.
Evidence of Liberal dirty tricks is obvious.

Seems like the Conservatives ARE moving on.

One of their credible candidates is a former councilor with the City of Kelowna.

Yep, Graeme James is an excellent candidate.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

ScottSA wrote: In any event, we're far from finished. The Liberals are in a death spiral and we're just getting started!

I hope so Scott. There is nothing more important than removing these corrupt and malfeasant clowns from office. I was travelling between Vancouver and Kelowna on the Coquahalla the other day when a tire blew out. Checking my spare, I found that it too was flat. My only option was to flag down a passing motorist and get a ride to the next town.

The first vehicle to stop was an old man in a van. He yelled out the window, "Need a lift?"

"Yes, I sure do," I replied.

"You a Liberal or Conservative," asked the old man.

"Conservative," I replied.

"Well, you can just go to Hell," yelled the old man as he sped off.

Another guy stopped, rolled down the window, and asked me the same question. Again, I gave the same answer, "Conservative."

The driver gave me the finger and drove off.

I thought it over and decided that maybe I should change my strategy, since this area seemed to be overly political and there appeared to be very few Conservatives.

The next car to stop was a red convertible driven by a beautiful blonde.

She smiled seductively and asked if I was a Liberal or Conservative.

"Liberal" I shouted.

"Hop in!" replied the blonde.

Driving down the road, I couldn't help but stare at the gorgeous woman in the seat next to me, the wind blowing through her hair, perfect breasts, and a short skirt that continued to ride higher and higher up her thighs.Finally, I yelled, "Please stop the car."

She immediately slammed on the brakes and as soon as the car stopped,

I jumped out.

"What's the matter?" she asked.

"I can't take it anymore," I replied. "I've only been a Liberal for five minutes and already I want to screw somebody!"
ScottSA
Fledgling

Post by ScottSA »

*removed/Jo*
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

It matters little to me any more whether the NDP or The New Liberals get to form the next government (Current preference the NDP for obvious reasons). What mattered most to me was to to purge the "coalition" of its greedy, deceitful, self serving right wing elements and Socred carryovers who are the elements primarily responsible for the financial mess and government trough feeding created over the past decade, ....and trust that any who are lucky enough to be left will have learned their lesson and be able to moderate their attitudes.

Many on the right however are beyond redemption as evidenced by their failed attempts to rally a true and cohesive Conservative Party with talent and platform around a flag. No big loss there really if it gets rid of all the greedy extreme right wing back stabbing bumblers who usurped the Liberal Party and that BC is now so famous for. NDP or Liberal, BC politics and policy is moving left, and IMO there will be little to tell the two parties apart at the end of the day.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

NAB wrote:It matters little to me any more whether the NDP or The New Liberals get to form the next government (Current preference the NDP for obvious reasons). What mattered most to me was to to purge the "coalition" of its greedy, deceitful, self serving right wing elements and Socred carryovers who are the elements primarily responsible for the financial mess and government trough feeding created over the past decade, ....and trust that any who are lucky enough to be left will have learned their lesson and be able to moderate their attitudes.

Many on the right however are beyond redemption as evidenced by their failed attempts to rally a true and cohesive Conservative Party with talent and platform around a flag. No big loss there really if it gets rid of all the greedy extreme right wing back stabbing bumblers who usurped the Liberal Party and that BC is now so famous for. NDP or Liberal, BC politics and policy is moving left, and IMO there will be little to tell the two parties apart at the end of the day.

That sounds exaclty like their Federal Liberal counterparts whomthey always deny any relation to. The Liberals are famous for moving left or right depending on the politcal whim of the electorate. This one reason Idespis them so much: you never know what you are getting. With the NDP or Cons we at least know what side they are loyal too (mostly.)
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
ScottSA
Fledgling

Post by ScottSA »

NEWS RELEASE

NR-1206CN November 5, 2012

BC CONSERVATIVE CANDIDATE ANDERSON URGES PIPELINE APPROVAL – ‘JOBS FOR BRITISH COLUMBIANS MUST BE FIRST PRIORITY’

VERNON—Scott Anderson, British Columbia Conservative Party candidate for Vernon-Monashee, says that with careful environmental protections in place, projects like the Northern Gateway Pipeline should go ahead.

On the heels of a study that says food bank use has increased 23% in BC since 2008, Anderson argues that both the NDP and the Liberals are being disingenuous with British Columbians. Hungercount 2012, a report by Food Banks Canada, identifies the problem: "There is no shortage of low-paid jobs in Canada. While we are traditionally known for our natural resources, agricultural products, and manufacturing, these well-paying sectors account for a declining number of Canadian jobs."1

" The NDP social development critic is blasting the Liberals for more food bank use, and the local Liberal MLA is claiming that increasing the minimum wage will help,"2 said Anderson. "But neither party is willing to address the real problem - a lack of high paying jobs for British Columbians. The Northern Gateway Pipeline will supply 4,100 person-years of direct on-site work and a total of 35,000 person-years of work throughout the province. More importantly, these are high-skill, high-paying jobs. With the proper environmental controls in place we would be fools NOT to go ahead with the pipeline. Yet both of the tax-and-spend parties are playing games."

Adrian Dix, leader of the BC NDP, previously announced that he was against the pipeline, and is now calling for yet another expensive environmental review. Christy Clark, leader of the Liberals, has not made up her mind which way to go, but her last act was to refuse to even meet with the company putting forward the pipeline proposal. Neither party is doing anything concrete about bringing jobs to British Columbia.

"Both the Liberals and the NDP have to stop playing games with the lives of British Columbians. It's time to stop saying no to economic growth and start saying yes to carefully managed projects that will bring highly paid, highly skilled jobs back to BC," said Anderson. "It's not enough for the NDP to harp about more food bank use - what's their solution? Raise taxes and drag out more expensive government programs? As for the Liberals, raising the minimum wage is not the solution - is the Liberal vision to have a province full of minimum wage earners?"

Scott Anderson's first act upon being acclaimed as the Vernon-Monashee candidate for the BC Conservatives on October 13th was to initiate a food drive for the Vernon food bank. "The BC Conservative food drive is a small thing, and it won't solve the problem," said Anderson. "But it’s a start, and it's better than flinging insults at each other as the two tax-and-spend parties are doing. We have to start thinking outside the box and start moving forward into the 21st century."

*spam removed/Jo*
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

There was an article today by Andrew Coyne with reference to the Republican Party in the USA and their Presidential Election loss. The headline/bylines read...

"Republican Party will recover when they stop behaving like yahoos

Andrew Coyne: Republicans will have to stop equating principle with extremism, compromise with capitulation, sensible conservatism with know-nothing yahooism"

My immediate thought was that with the change of a word that would be a very fitting observation for the BC Conservative Party, even including the rabid right conservative wingnuts of the BC Liberal Party.

Nab
ScottSA
Fledgling

Post by ScottSA »

*this is not a thread for political advertising, it is a thread for political discussion/Jo*
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Any party or candidate who supports a pipeline across BC that anticipates the transportation of dil-bitumen rather than product already upgraded to synthetic crude oil at source have obviously not done their homework thoroughly.... and as a result will see no support from me on any issue.

Nab
ScottSA
Fledgling

Post by ScottSA »

NAB wrote:Any party or candidate who supports a pipeline across BC that anticipates the transportation of dil-bitumen rather than product already upgraded to synthetic crude oil at source have obviously not done their homework thoroughly.... and as a result will see no support from me on any issue.

Nab
There's nothing much in your post that goes beyond a statement of opinion, so I'm not sure there's much grounds for debate.

But I actually have done my homework. It's just that I look at both sides in order to arrive at a conclusion, and don't simply ignore one side because it says things I don't want to hear. You could say the same danger exists with a railway track - like the one that's existed for tens of decades and regularly transports hazardous materials along the same rivers and lakes as the pipeline will go. Or a highway, with hazardous tanker trucks. None of which, combined, pose the same critical danger as a single large naturally caused forest fire of the type that's been occurring long before man ever set foot in North America.

The problem we have in the interior is often referred to as a "jobs" problem, but that really minimizes it. It's a social problem created by a lack of opportunity - the interior of BC is being hollowed out by emigration to Alberta where there ARE jobs. Much of the problem stems from the neo-Luddite attitude of a small but vocal group who runs screaming to the barricades every time the word "environment" pops up. We have to stop this nonsense or the interior of BC will be nothing more a massive retirement community for aging Albertans. It is possible to safeguard to a reasonable extent the dangers a pipeline poses, and to hold Enbridge to account. It is possible to insist on double-hulled tankers flagged in respectable countries in order to minimize the danger to the ocean ways. But it is not possible to drag this province back into prosperity by saying "no" to every opportunity we have for real jobs, while claiming that "green jobs" will magically appear if the government just somehow makes it happen.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Sorry Scott, for since your focus on this pipelines thing seems limited to a possible relative few BC terminus and pipeline jobs, environmental safety, and insurance coverage issues (financial and technical), I would submit you have not done adequate homework on the issue from the perspective of a national and global point of view and how much influence a BC government of any stripe can bring to bear. Put those limited things you argue aside for a while and perhaps you can find some serious debate that goes far beyond that and the limited influence an MLA from Vernon Monashee could bring to bear.

Nab
ScottSA
Fledgling

Post by ScottSA »

NAB wrote:Sorry Scott, for since your focus on this pipelines thing seems limited to a possible relative few BC terminus and pipeline jobs, environmental safety, and insurance coverage issues (financial and technical), I would submit you have not done adequate homework on the issue from the perspective of a national and global point of view and how much influence a BC government of any stripe can bring to bear. Put those limited things you argue aside for a while and perhaps you can find some serious debate that goes far beyond that and the limited influence an MLA from Vernon Monashee could bring to bear.

Nab
Indeed. Please help me understand. I take it we're about to embark on a discussion of carbon-based fuels and their impact on the global environment? If so, consider the alternative to Canadian development. Fossil fuels will continue to be harvested for a good number of years; if not here, then elsewhere. What kind of environmental controls do you think will be in place in Africa?
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Nope. You say you make a point of considering both (all) sides of an issue before rendering an opinion but I don't think you do, in this case you are for sure only looking at one side - and that is far too typical of the BC Conservative Party. As I suggested earlier, put aside all those environment /carbon based arguments, even just a few jobs for BC - and consider all aspects of the bigger economic picture that transporting RAW bitumen across BC involves in addition to the environmental ones (and what I consider the erroneous idea that this project will deliver much in the way of jobs and revenues for BC anyway - think about where the REAL money, jobs and investment ends up in either case - versus where they end up if we forbid the export of RAW bitumen and build for the export of conventional crude oil or synthetic crude upgraded from bitumen only).

It's not JUST about the environment or alternate forms of energy! Or even JUST about BC's interests. And it's certainly not a Vernon/Monashee issue. Pretty easy to rail on about just the positives of something and ignore the negatives when its NIMBY.

Nab
ScottSA
Fledgling

Post by ScottSA »

NAB wrote:Nope. You say you make a point of considering both (all) sides of an issue before rendering an opinion but I don't think you do, in this case you are for sure only looking at one side - and that is far too typical of the BC Conservative Party. As I suggested earlier, put aside all those environment /carbon based arguments, even just a few jobs for BC - and consider all aspects of the bigger economic picture that transporting RAW bitumen across BC involves in addition to the environmental ones (and what I consider the erroneous idea that this project will deliver much in the way of jobs and revenues for BC anyway - think about where the REAL money, jobs and investment ends up in either case - versus where they end up if we forbid the export of RAW bitumen and build for the export of conventional crude oil or synthetic crude upgraded from bitumen only).

It's not JUST about the environment or alternate forms of energy! Or even JUST about BC's interests. And it's certainly not a Vernon/Monashee issue. Pretty easy to rail on about just the positives of something and ignore the negatives when its NIMBY.

Nab
Well all of that is fine, but government isn't in the refinery business, not should it be. If we want to refine the bitumen in Alberta, it will be businesses who do it, and it will be in response to market forces. The only thing government can do is make it worthwhile on a tax and regulatory basis. And if that happens, the money will stay in Alberta.

The same applies to refining it in BC (which involves moving it in BC anyway). Simply "forbidding" the export of bitumen will just be another regulatory drag on the market and will mean no jobs at all in BC. There is no perfect solution to the issue. Building the pipeline is certainly not a panacea, but it is an optimal solution given the constraints and restraints.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

You still don't get the point do you Scott? In my opinion Dil-Bit should not go ANYWHERE distant from it's source (Alberta Oil Sands area) until it is first upgraded into a product (synthetic oil) that standard refineries wherever can use. Build a pipeline to transport the upgraded product by all means if it passes regulations, but also by government regulation prohibit pipelines from carrying dil-bit across BC and onto our coastal waters. And the very last thing we need in BC IMO is a bitumen upgrader and a dil-bit pipeline to feed it. Leave that part of it to Alberta.

LOL, the mental picture I get is similar to that of a potato farmer digging up his potato field and shipping it dirt and all to some far away facility where they take out the potatos, send them on to the potato chip maker, and are left having to deal with all the dirt they got from the farmer.

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2013”