BC health care workers vote to strike

Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: BC health care workers vote to strike

Post by Boda »

Veovis wrote:NO they can't because if a bonus was given to one employee and not another it can be grieved since it was an "unfair salary" and they are "all equal"

I've met employers who seriously wish they could give out a Christmas bonus still, but can't. The union would instantly demand dues on it, and that all other employees receive an "equal amount" as you know "everyone is equal", except they aren't and that isn't in the budget so no one can get one.

Union motto though, protect the bad employee, don't reward the good, and blame the employer for it all.

Don't read much here anymore, and more rarelely respond, but this one is complete B.S.
As a union employee I've receiced performance bonuses not awarded to co-workers.
I've also had conversation with the current B.A. who informed me (during an unrelated meeting) that the wage & benefit package negotiated is a minimum compensation that must be paid to all union members represented by the agreement.
Employers are free to pay extra compensation should they choose.
Further, they frequently do.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

^^^ Not my experience. We tried to do that when I was in the forestry sector. The union poo-pooed it, saying that if a bonus were given it had to be given to everyone.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

There is nothing in the CA that prevents performance-based bonuses as far as I'm aware. In order for that to work, the HA's masses of managers would actually have to evaluate every employee on a regular basis. Riigghhtt.... :dyinglaughing:
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
greylady

Post by greylady »

Don't read much here anymore, and more rarelely respond, but this one is complete B.S.
As a union employee I've receiced performance bonuses not awarded to co-workers.
I've also had conversation with the current B.A. who informed me (during an unrelated meeting) that the wage & benefit package negotiated is a minimum compensation that must be paid to all union members represented by the agreement.

Yep. Bonuses are a management decision.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*try again WITHOUT the personal attack/Jo*
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Boda wrote: the wage & benefit package negotiated is a minimum compensation that must be paid to all union members represented by the agreement.

This is true, however that higher wage must be paid to all equivalent employees, not simply "I like Bill so I'll pay him $2.00/hour more" IF Bill was a Thingamajig tech, then all thingamij techs are entitled to that $2.00/hour increase.

However, yes employers are welcome to pay any amount over the minimum to all employees of a classification.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Rwede wrote:
It was directed at you, but FF butted into the middle.

Well, thanks for clearing that up. Let me clear something up as well - I don't hate management. What I hate is incompetent, wasteful and impersonal management. Huge difference.
George Carlin
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Veovis wrote:This is true, however that higher wage must be paid to all equivalent employees, not simply "I like Bill so I'll pay him $2.00/hour more" IF Bill was a Thingamajig tech, then all thingamij techs are entitled to that $2.00/hour increase.

However, yes employers are welcome to pay any amount over the minimum to all employees of a classification.

That's how I understand it, so the only way the employer can compensate someone in a specific category, over and above what others in that category earn, is by calling it a bonus.

I think everyone can concede, based on discussions in these forums, how well the whole concept of bonuses goes over.

I for that matter disagree with them too, as I prefer to see a worker who goes the extra mile, acknowledged by means of a better wage on every check, as opposed to a bonus, that often times comes off as workers getting a windfall, for simply doing what they were hired to do in the first place.

I'd much rather see a justified wage increase for such people, given after a performance review indicates it to be warranted.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

George Carlin
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

grammafreddy wrote:
Jeckle wrote:Just a little perspective from one of "them". (me)
I make less per hour now than I did when I started almost 11 years ago.
We lost 15% of our wages back in 2003, and last contract we lost holiday days. Why do we have to keep going backwards?
Now they want us to pay for 25% of our benefits?
That is a huge loss, I doubt anyone would be happy to sign on to that.

I don't suppose it would have occurred to you that perhaps your contract was just a little too sweet before? Too many sick days and holiday days, too many benefits you got for nothing, too many perks, too much money?

Do you complain this loudly and passionatley about how the MLA's are paid, as well as their benefits and golden parachute pension?
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Alvis wrote:Do you complain this loudly and passionatley about how the MLA's are paid, as well as their benefits and golden parachute pension?

So your argument is you deserve more unjustified perks, because someone else gets them?

EPIC FAIL!
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “B.C.”