Did students get out school to attend a Warriors game?

kumazatheef
Board Meister

Re: Did students get out school to attend a Warriors game?

Post by kumazatheef »

averagejoe wrote:
kumazatheef wrote:
Did the students get to go for free?
Oh, and when we went to the museum we had to pay, is that considered a business? How about the time we got to go to see "Phantom of the Opera" in Vancouver, for which we had to pay (of course, al get permission which sounds similar to this situation).

Again these are not business, but societies (not for profit). Good on those who organized those road trips. Not everyday (24/7) you can go to a museum or a play.

Splitting hairs, societies also need money to run ("not for profit" != "not for money"). Probably a reason they solicit schools.
Here's another - band & sports trips, they support businesses.

The last couple questions weren't answered - what's the beef with how others spend their time/money?
Not trying to be antagonistic, genuinely curious.

"The best parents are those without kids".
natasha clark

Post by natasha clark »

*repost w/o using cap lock. Thanks. Trip
Bananaz
Übergod

Post by Bananaz »

averagejoe wrote:I'm reading yesterday's Capitol News, it says that the West Kelowna Warriors host the visiting Penticton Vee's at a special
11:00 a.m. game so that according to the Cap News...."the unconventional start time is designed to accommodate school kids from the surrounding area ho will be attending the game".

Shouldn't they be in school? Was there no school for them yesterday? Is attending a hockey game now part of the curriculum? Does the BCHL put these type of games in their schedule in other communities? Does anyone know the particulars about this?

My daughter went and it's called a "Field Trip"!
Cherish yesterday
Dream tomorrow
Live today
Bananaz
Übergod

Post by Bananaz »

averagejoe wrote:So with the school district give equal time to football, ringette, soccer and other sporting events also?

Is there a facility that hosts soccer, ringette, etc that can accommodate a few grades from a local school?
Cherish yesterday
Dream tomorrow
Live today
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

So what happened to this special event this year? I don't see it on the Warriors schedule this year? Weren't they going to do this every year? I guess education wins! Hurray!

http://www.westkelownawarriors.ca/leagu ... in&mixed=1

averagejoe wrote:I'm reading yesterday's Capitol News, it says that the West Kelowna Warriors host the visiting Penticton Vee's at a special
11:00 a.m. game so that according to the Cap News...."the unconventional start time is designed to accommodate school kids from the surrounding area ho will be attending the game".

Shouldn't they be in school? Was there no school for them yesterday? Is attending a hockey game now part of the curriculum? Does the BCHL put these type of games in their schedule in other communities? Does anyone know the particulars about this?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

I think that's a shame AJ. Good for the Warriors to be part of the community. There is a value to that if you choose to see it. I know both my boys get excited when players from either the Rockets or Warriors come to visit.

Look at it from the aspect it creates an atmosphere that allows the children to enjoy school. I'm betting a kid that knows he gets a treat every now and again will enjoy school and is now going to do better with his reading, riting and rithmatic.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

They can go with their parents and/or friends on weekends to watch a Warriors game. Or tune any sports channel every night to watch hockey. They don't need to miss school.

Steve-O wrote:I think that's a shame AJ. Good for the Warriors to be part of the community. There is a value to that if you choose to see it. I know both my boys get excited when players from either the Rockets or Warriors come to visit.

Look at it from the aspect it creates an atmosphere that allows the children to enjoy school. I'm betting a kid that knows he gets a treat every now and again will enjoy school and is now going to do better with his reading, riting and rithmatic.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

so, now you are mad because there is no game at 11 am?

lol

the warriors just can win with you, eh!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Steve-O wrote:Look at it from the aspect it creates an atmosphere that allows the children to enjoy school. I'm betting a kid that knows he gets a treat every now and again will enjoy school and is now going to do better with his reading, riting and rithmatic.

I'm betting it wouldn't matter if they did worse with their 3-Rs, they'd still get to go if the rest of the class is going. They don't need to excel or even complete assignments in order to get "treats" these days.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
After_Shock

Post by After_Shock »

averagejoe wrote:
They get all that at school. School is a place of learning. Not a hockey rink.

Good grief

Schools budget their timetables accordingly. They actually have a set amount of days and/or hours set specifically for fun activities. Whether it be the pool, hockey game, or skating, the primary goal is having fun. So really if they didn't go to the hockey game they would have maybe gone outside at school on the playground instead, they don't have extra material to give during the "set" times for fun activities.

School is not meant to be a boot camp of learning - post secondary education is. The way I see it is by introducing a little fun into the school days every once in a while, it will refresh the students and honestly it is only going to help students see school in a more positive way.

Not to mention it will develop social skills. That hockey game included all the students, which in turn gives them ALL a common topic to talk about back at school, resulting in social skills being built, and maybe even the "awkward" kid being able to chime in and make some friends.

Going to a hockey game (or any fun event) during school hours (in moderation of course, maybe 1-2 times MAX/month for a couple hours) will only bring positive results, especially in younger children (ages 6-12).
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

averagejoe wrote:They can go with their parents and/or friends on weekends to watch a Warriors game. Or tune any sports channel every night to watch hockey. They don't need to miss school.

Fair enough AJ. We are all entitled to an opinion.

With you and Grandma Freddy taking a similar stance, I have an image of the two of you looking very similar to the two old dudes on the Muppet Show sitting in the balcony grumbling about everything. Too funny.
morghoul

Post by morghoul »

EVERYBODY WATCH OUT THE FUN POLICE IS HERE
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

This farce went 13 pages?? Jesus whiners pull the hockey stick out of your caboose.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed

Return to “Central Okanagan”