B.C. teen arrested for photographing mall takedown

noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Re: B.C. teen arrested for photographing mall takedown

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

I would think that yes its private property but as soon as you open your doors to the public you have to recognize their rights. Unless they want to oblige and follow along with your rules.
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

^Ding!
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

They gave him a directive on their rules. He didnt want to give up his own and continued recording.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

FreeRights wrote:it's very possible that he did, in fact, cause a disturbance after being requested to not take photographs. In which case, mall security can arrest you.

Causing a disturbance is a summary offence. Private individuals cannot arrest for that.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

36Drew wrote:
FreeRights wrote:it's very possible that he did, in fact, cause a disturbance after being requested to not take photographs. In which case, mall security can arrest you.

Causing a disturbance is a summary offence. Private individuals cannot arrest for that.

What are the rights of someone being unlawfully detained by a private individual and especially for fear of ones safety. Equal force?
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

or any individual who is wrongly or unlawfully detaining someone against their will or in violation of their safety?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

noneofyourbiz3 wrote:Aggressive and defence are two seperate issue. Dont lump the same as I am speaking strictly self preservation for wrongful persecution. As far as rule by all means point out to me the legislation that states when I enter the mall my rights are nullified and what ones. By the way how can the mall stipulate they can use video footage in trial but deny us the same right in a public venue? Im sure as an owner they have certain right and duties but show me where theirs take precedent over mine?

They have CCTV for security purposes. They are not denying you any rights by stipulating that you are not permitted to take photographs or video on private property. Whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant, because you have the right to frequent other businesses instead.

Fact: Nowhere in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms does it say that it is your right to photograph and take video everywhere.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

noneofyourbiz3 wrote:They gave him a directive on their rules. He didnt want to give up his own and continued recording.

This is where I disagree with you. He had no "right" to continue recording or taking photographs. Now, that doesn't give the guards the right to touch him, but he had no "right" to photograph them after being advised of the rules for the property he was on. The police arrested him for causing a disturbance (which they found him committing so was a legal arrest). What led up to him causing a disturbance was not their concern at the time but would be considered after the fact in whether charges for anything were to be recommended.

The police were right in how they dealt with it, the guards were not.
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

It also doesnt say anyone has that same right to take it away. What we do know now though is that they didnt have the authority. Unless you comply. Which would be giving up your rights. So if my understanding is correct I'd have at my disposel whatever means equel to the force applied to get away from the persecution as they dont have the authority to detain me.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

noneofyourbiz3 wrote:Aggressive and defence are two seperate issue. Dont lump the same as I am speaking strictly self preservation for wrongful persecution. As far as rule by all means point out to me the legislation that states when I enter the mall my rights are nullified and what ones. By the way how can the mall stipulate they can use video footage in trial but deny us the same right in a public venue? Im sure as an owner they have certain right and duties but show me where theirs take precedent over mine?

It does not nullify your rights but does indicate you're commiting a criminal act by ignoring their direction:

Trespass prohibited
4 (1) Subject to section 4.1, a person commits an offence if the person does any of the following:

(a) enters premises that are enclosed land;
(b) enters premises after the person has had notice from an occupier of the premises or an authorized person that the entry is prohibited;
(c) engages in activity on or in premises after the person has had notice from an occupier of the premises or an authorized person that the activity is prohibited.
(2) A person found on or in premises that are enclosed land is presumed not to have the consent of an occupier or an authorized person to be there.
(3) Subject to section 4.1, a person who has been directed, either orally or in writing, by an occupier of premises or an authorized person to
(a) leave the premises, or
(b) stop engaging in an activity on or in the premises,
commits an offence if the person
(c) does not leave the premises or stop the activity, as applicable, as soon as practicable after receiving the direction, or
(d) re-enters the premises or resumes the activity on or in the premises.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws ... 1#section5
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

noneofyourbiz3 wrote:It also doesnt say anyone has that same right to take it away. What we do know now though is that they didnt have the authority. Unless you comply. Which would be giving up your rights. So if my understanding is correct I'd have at my disposel whatever means equel to the force applied to get away from the persecution as they dont have the authority to detain me.

You're right but that doesn't mean it's the best course of action to take in this case.
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

goatboy wrote:
noneofyourbiz3 wrote:They gave him a directive on their rules. He didnt want to give up his own and continued recording.

This is where I disagree with you. He had no "right" to continue recording or taking photographs. Now, that doesn't give the guards the right to touch him, but he had no "right" to photograph them after being advised of the rules for the property he was on. The police arrested him for causing a disturbance (which they found him committing so was a legal arrest). What led up to him causing a disturbance was not their concern at the time but would be considered after the fact in whether charges for anything were to be recommended.

The police were right in how they dealt with it, the guards were not.

Show me where he never had the right? We havent established the mall rules/rights supercede ours unless I willingly waive them.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Show me where he never had the right?
The mall doesn't allow filming without being notified - wouldn't that also cover photography?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

Thanks for the info GB. I'll be looking though if this extends to puplic areas on private property or if this would be closer to someone in my home. Maybe no diff but confirmation would be nice.

Return to “B.C.”