Colorado and Washington Legalize pot.

Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Colorado and Washington Legalize pot.

Post by Relentless »

It's pretty bad when greed over powers common sense.
Legalizing pot is absolutely insane.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

i agree it will take the value out of it if they make it legal .. it should stay how it is now we have a happy medium copshave work to do ppl have money .. its a good balance rite now
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

UltraViolet wrote:It's pretty bad when greed over powers common sense.

The majority of WA and CO voters disagree. In CO more people voted for this measure than voted on the President. It will be good to see a legal system in operation so the kinks can be worked out for other areas.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

Wow on more votes than that for pres.
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

have a link? Thats worth sharing.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Why is that strange? The question was yes or no, whereas there were 5 people running for President. The odds are there.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

Its they took a stand on that over a choice for president. Lot to read in that. Link?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Well if Canada had a referendum on legalizing pot, it's highly likely that more people would vote "Yes" to that than vote "Yes" to Harper.

Here you go:

Obama got 51% or 1,238,490 votes (Google is your friend).

And by comparison:
Amendment 64 led late Tuesday night with 53.3 percent voting yes and 46.7 percent voting no, with 1,863,535 votes or about 66 percent of active voters counted.

Even though the Governor was against it:

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper, a Democrat who opposed legalization, was less enthused. "Federal law still says marijuana is an illegal drug, so don't break out the Cheetos or gold fish too quickly," he said.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
brounal
Board Meister

Post by brounal »

Prohibition never worked for alcohol. And the war on drugs especially on pot has never worked either.
There will be things to be ironed out but should be interesting. And might even affect where I go spend my next vacation.. :sunshine:

But yeah still wondering if federal government in the US can just overturn this. Don't they do that all the time with things like same sex marriage ,abortion and other stuff?
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Glacier wrote:Well if Canada had a referendum on legalizing pot, it's highly likely that more people would vote "Yes" to that than vote "Yes" to Harper.

Here you go:

Obama got 51% or 1,238,490 votes (Google is your friend).

And by comparison:
Amendment 64 led late Tuesday night with 53.3 percent voting yes and 46.7 percent voting no, with 1,863,535 votes or about 66 percent of active voters counted.

Even though the Governor was against it:

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper, a Democrat who opposed legalization, was less enthused. "Federal law still says marijuana is an illegal drug, so don't break out the Cheetos or gold fish too quickly," he said.

so then whats all this bs about?
Ballot initiative 502, passed Tuesday night, makes marijuana legal in Washington as of Dec. 6. People over the age of 21 will be able to purchase up to one ounce of marijuana at licensed retail shops.

Laws prohibiting driving under the influence will also be amended to include maximum thresholds for THC blood concentration.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

When can we vote Harper out?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The only way that these MJ legalization laws will fly, in the face of federal laws, is if big tobacco gets behind them with the promise of a monopoly down the road.

I may be a cynic, but if these laws are allowed to stand, then we have to assume that big tobacco has that promise.

Problem will be with the religious right, who are the masters of the Tea party. They won't stand for it.

Harper has those folks in his base too, and so will continue to try to prop up failed policy.

I agree that prohibition doesn't work. Alchohol prohibition gave us Al Capone. MJ prohibition gives us the likes of the Bacon brothers. Unfortunately, ideologs won't see that it is not a choice between eliminating MJ or not, but a choice between the downsides of MJ (there are some real ones) and the evils of the likes of the Bacon brothers. The ideologs fail to ask the right question.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

UltraViolet wrote:It's pretty bad when greed over powers common sense.

Yes, it's much better when we allow moralistic ideology to overpower common sense.
Prohibition has proven itself to be absolutely insane - as well as costly and dangerous.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

vinnied wrote:so then whats all this bs about?
Ballot initiative 502, passed Tuesday night, makes marijuana legal in Washington as of Dec. 6. People over the age of 21 will be able to purchase up to one ounce of marijuana at licensed retail shops.

Laws prohibiting driving under the influence will also be amended to include maximum thresholds for THC blood concentration.

A whole lotta nothing. Obama is dead set against marijuana legalization, and the Democratic Governor in Colorado is dead set against it. I would be shocked if marijuana is legalized anytime soon in the States. Just because the ballot question says it will be doesn't mean it actually will be.

Anyone who actually believes marijuana will be legalized on Dec 6 is either delusional or high.

ETA: I just realized that your quote mentions Washington State, and not Colorado as my post refers to. I still contend that a State cannot tax and sell marijuana without federal government approval, and thus even Washington State will not legalize marijuana anytime soon.

hobbyguy wrote:Problem will be with the religious right, who are the masters of the Tea party. They won't stand for it.

Actually, the Tea party is a fiscal conservative movement, not a social conservative movement (though many if not most Tea partiers are also socially conservative).
- Douglas Murray
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

The DEA will ignore it & continue to enforce the Controlled Substances Act, while things get wrangled in court for a while. (my prediction)
Your bias suits you.

Return to “World”