Save Penticton Lakeshore Drive and beach

XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Save Penticton Lakeshore Drive and beach

Post by XT225 »

There was an interesting story in the Herald yesterday re former mayor (and a good one) Dorothy Whittaker (Tinning). She talked about the Lakeshore walkway and especially about the bricks. I wonder how many folks know that NONE of the four proposals include ANY brickwork? I sure didn't know that. Why remove what is already there and working; just add to it and fix what else needs to be fixed. No wonder the 1.2 million grant won't cover any of the proposals; even option 3 will cost $75,000 more. Wonder what it would cost if they LEFT the existing bricks in place and then added to them, etc. This whole project needs a LOT more time and thought from all concerned.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

From what I heard, to be a multi-purpose pathway it has to have a smoother surface then bricks. The other problem with bricks is that they are not very accommodating of tree roots and things like that. I personally would love a boardwalk made out of beetle wood but recognize that would be too costly. I expect we will get stamped asphalt or something like that which is fine with me.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

CTF wrote:From what I heard, to be a multi-purpose pathway it has to have a smoother surface then bricks. The other problem with bricks is that they are not very accommodating of tree roots and things like that. I personally would love a boardwalk made out of beetle wood but recognize that would be too costly. I expect we will get stamped asphalt or something like that which is fine with me.

I don't think the whole plan has been decided yet (as to if bikes, skateboards, etc) will be allowed on it. As I said, much more time is needed to thoroughly think these plans through. I disagree with you re bricks; they are far more flexible re tree roots and repairs; can easily be removed and changed. Pavement, stampled concrete, etc would not be forgiving at all. I've seen the damage that roots can do. I think the city just wants to do the same thing to Lakeshore as they did down on Skaha and even though Skaha is nice, its a completely different situation there - no parking along the beach and few big trees to deal with. Paving made sense there.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

XT225 wrote:I don't think the whole plan has been decided yet (as to if bikes, skateboards, etc) will be allowed on it. As I said, much more time is needed to thoroughly think these plans through. I disagree with you re bricks; they are far more flexible re tree roots and repairs; can easily be removed and changed. Pavement, stampled concrete, etc would not be forgiving at all. I've seen the damage that roots can do. I think the city just wants to do the same thing to Lakeshore as they did down on Skaha and even though Skaha is nice, its a completely different situation there - no parking along the beach and few big trees to deal with. Paving made sense there.

Good points. I don't personally care for pavers but you are correct we should wait and see what is being proposed first.
save lakeshore drive

Post by save lakeshore drive »

delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
save lakeshore drive

delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
save lakeshore drive

delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

Grumpy?... Not at all... I'm happy I live here,I'm happy that I can contribute in any small way to make thi a great place to live and visit, I'm happy that where I live each person can have an opinion without being persecuted and MOSTLY.... I'm happy that what is right will happen despite a MINORITY that was more than HAPPY to embrace change when they had the youth and intelligence to realize it was needed!
So I looked, and looked...because I don't like to be ignorant (although that is sometimes inevitable based on the people you interact with)
! I have to tell you though... I could not find that we have the best 4TH BEACH in the world. Here are my searches!
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/TravelersChoice-Beaches. http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/tr ... 0/beaches/. http://www.forbes.com/2003/07/10/cx_cv_0710feat2.html. Then ask for Canada's best beaches...#1 from google... http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatrav ... eaches.htm. #2 on google...http://ca.askmen.com/top_10/travel_200/ ... p_ten.html. #3 ...http://www.readersdigest.ca/our-canada/ ... st-beaches ??? Still not there...OK Let's try "google" best 4th beach in Canada....YUP...NOPE ... Still not there! Then I tried...best car cruising beach in Canada ... Still nothing!
So...
“To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.”
― Winston Churchill
If you want a historic town like Barkerville or Heritage park like Calgary, then come to city meetings and make suggestions!

I also ask for small changes... But CHANGE none the less. FREE BEACHES... YES!

Don't worry, people will still talk to you, because you have nice cars, a place to drive and best of all...a place to voice your opinions.

tags: change 219 people liked it like
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

save lakeshore drive wrote:Thank-you Simone for the information of the venue change to the Convention centre this monday 6pm...many were thinking the very short notice and change of venue was another diversion to limit those wanting option 3 to attend...lol ,Will there be any sort of vote on IF the public wants what the city offers ?? Seems the TRUST level of those that represent us at city hall is an an extreme low...hopefully this will turn around before the next election.I think there is good potential of current council.Time will tell if they are listening to the public,or themselves .Another question that is constantly avoided is ...HOW MANY DOLLARS HAS BEEN SPENT ON THE LAKESHORE REVITILIZATION SO FAR ? ...this includes from the very beginning...planning,drafting,site surveys,advertizing(newspapers) etc...,displays,WAGES and so on ..must be well over the million mark by now if you add ALL of it up.or correct me if this is not correct.This question has come up so many times,but never with an answer.Again thanks for the up-date on the last minute change of venue...see you there

I am on record here as being opposed to options 1 and 2 yet when I read stuff like this I wanna hurl. You are not a community activist looking out for the best interests of the citizens. You are more of a bully with a personal opinion and agenda to say whatever is neccessary to sway people to your position. In one short post you have the council chamber renovation as a conspiracy to hide from you and some rediculous notion of a million dollars spent on some preliminary planning and conceptual drawings. A more realistic number would be in the few tens of thousands and even that is money well spent even if only to show us what we do not want or need. Then again, you have prooven time and again your inability to be realistic and make arguements on merrit and instead resort to fear mongering.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Well it is official. Option four was chosen and personally that pleases me. 1.2 million in grant money plus an additional 550k for added improvements. Excellent compromise and the end product will be a notable improvement without breaking the bank.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

I am happy with the result, I favoured Option 3 but I also thought it was a good idea to get rid of those ridiculous mounds of dead grass in Lakawana Park and option four does that. Most important is that two way traffic and angle parking is maintained and the walkway will get improved. Thankfully Vassilaki’s marina has been shown the torpedo.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I, too, am fine with Option 4, especially now that we know that the funds will come from the 1.2 million grant, plus Ashton says we can get Westbench to pay for the rest (a slight LOL) with what the city will charge them for city water soon. Its all good. I cannot for the life of me understand what's gotten into Vassalini though; with his wanting to go the 7 mil route; he is usually Fiscally Conservative and where does he get off saying that "The city could borrow the money"? He likely had some ties to this Marina idea. Think again, John.
save lakeshore drive

delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

save lakeshore drive wrote:What planet are you on....Penticton was voted 4th out of the top ten world tourist destinations by facebook...it was in the news forever,on the Ramada sign for months...do you sit 24/7 locked up in your little world and complain for the sake of complaining.And WHERE in canada can you cruise the strip beside the beach ,warm, sun,desert,valley lake and the mountains on either side???Penticton has one of the highest old cars per capital and Yes Wasaga beach and Turkey point in Ontario are bigger..been to them countless times,but NOT better...better keep looking on the computor...obviously you dont look out your window... :dyinglaughing: why do I waste my time talking to a block of wood.rant all you want ...I will waste no more time on you ...get a life

Is it really necessary to have such a nasty tone? I think you can make valid points without the need to personally insult those who have a different point of view. Just a suggestion.
mug99

Post by mug99 »

I have to agree, there is no need to name call, Cliff. You did a great job in protecting the angle parking and 2 way street, which was you objective. Thank you....but ease up man, people are entitled to their opinion.

Return to “Central Okanagan”