The B.C. government ad blitz is costing you $15 Million

cutypi

The B.C. government ad blitz is costing you $15 Million

Post by cutypi »

The B.C. government ad blitz flooding the TV airwaves is costing you $15 million — and an untold amount of tooth enamel.
http://www.theprovince.com/business/Cla ... z2BSxMKozA

MLAs voted secretly for $127,000 allowance
By Rob Shaw, Times Colonist November 8, 2012 9:20 AM
http://www.timescolonist.com/business/M ... story.html

People of BC (and Penticton) wake up and smell the :bethecoffee: If you vote for the "Liberal" candidate, in the next election, no matter what their 'NAME" might be, then be prepared for more of this squandering of our tax dollars. If you vote for a Liberal candidate then you are a Liberal party supporter plain and simple and then must "take-it" with a smile when they show this kind of constant disrespect for our tax dollars. For those who say we have no choice, that's a cop-out. You always have a choice. You have to go to the bathroom every day but that doesn't mean you have to go in your pants.

Also, be prepared for some tax hikes to compensate for the so called "lost" revenue of the HST. They imposed the HST tax shift onto us and now ( just like the guy who is somehow "loosing" money on his 500,000 house, that he can't get 400 for, even though he only paid 200,000 when he bought it 3 years ago) will tax us to pay for it's removal, mark my words.

Sorry if I sound a little angry, ](*,) its probably because I AM!!
CTF
Fledgling

Re: The B.C. government ad blitz is costing you $15 Million

Post by CTF »

If we are going to complain about the “squandering” of our tax dollars then perhaps we should also be willing to accept our share of the blame. The new Okanagan College Center of Excellence is but one of many examples of Provincial tax dollars spent in and around Penticton. So is the new Pen-Hi, the skateboard park, the new Kiwanis seniors housing project, and we have some upgraded highways and a few other things. Maybe you were happier paying higher taxes under the NDP who hardly invested any money back into Penticton. It is always easy to complain but I think as taxpayers sometimes we need to see the bigger picture.
cutypi

Post by cutypi »

Sorry CTF I think I am missing something. I fail to see how the government spending "some" tax dollars in the Penticton riding, as they have done in ALL other ridings, and a lot more in some, has anything to do with the "squandering" referred to above.

Are you saying because they have spent some of "our" tax dollars, as they should have, it somehow excuses them for squandering millions to tell us about it (campaigning on our dollar) or secretly voting themselves golden parachutes..?? I'm sorry but it sounds like you are defending them and I don't see how that can be ok with anyone. Why has society become so complacent? They can do stuff like this all day long and STILL get voted back in. WOW !!
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

15,000,000.00+compounded daily interest.
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

cutypi wrote:Sorry CTF I think I am missing something. I fail to see how the government spending "some" tax dollars in the Penticton riding, as they have done in ALL other ridings, and a lot more in some, has anything to do with the "squandering" referred to above.

Are you saying because they have spent some of "our" tax dollars, as they should have, it somehow excuses them for squandering millions to tell us about it (campaigning on our dollar) or secretly voting themselves golden parachutes..?? I'm sorry but it sounds like you are defending them and I don't see how that can be ok with anyone. Why has society become so complacent? They can do stuff like this all day long and STILL get voted back in. WOW !!

We have no dollars. We are in deficit so its on the RB credit card.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

Cutypi, I just think looking at specific things in isolation with a negative view is easy to do but I believe we need to sometimes look at the bigger picture. It’s fine to complain about a program for a recalled MLA (and I am not suggesting that I agree with that program) but no MLA was recalled and no money expensed.

Do I agree with Government advertising? Yes and No, it depends on the circumstance but I also recognize that every government in the last 30 years does it and while I generally disagree with it, it is still going to occur no matter who you or I vote for.

I would rather look at what get’s built in OUR community because we are sending tax dollars to Victoria regardless – in my view there were many positive investments here – I gave you examples of a few of them. The last NDP government charged us more in taxes and gave us less in return, that was mostly my point. If I am paying taxes regardless then I prefer to see some of my tax money coming back to where I live to be invested in infrastructure and education and other areas. I mostly believe those things should not be overlooked and more so when the last NDP Government gave us so little in return.
Last edited by CTF on Nov 8th, 2012, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

noneofyourbiz3 wrote:We have no dollars. We are in deficit so its on the RB credit card.

That is something we should pay attention too.
DblDwn11
Fledgling

Post by DblDwn11 »

I see the partisan "anonymous" posting has begun.

Here's my contribution: Don't vote NDP either! They are sharks in sweater vests! (sorry David. I'm pretty sure sweater vests are uniform in a library.)

Read on: http://riskydix.ca/news/blast-from-the-past-memo-alibi-sounds-fishy-cops-investigate-authenticity-of-dixs-document-to-file/
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

My contribution ,a blast from the last 12 years.Don't buy into the Liberal,lies deceit,mismanagement,coverups and smoke and mirror show.

1/The most open, accountable and democratic government in Canada.Yet are in court spending thousands upon thousands loosing court cases ,like over ripping up contracts and hiding info from the Auditor general on the BC rail sale.

2/promises of tax cuts with one side of their mouths,then take it back with things like MSP premiums and carbon tax,hurting the middle class the most.

3/Liberals reverse the changes to MLA pensions that had been made by the NDP,once again giving MLA's gold plated pensions.

4/Liberals vote themselves and deputy ministers big raises while insisting everyone else settles for 0%

5/Medical care when and were you need it,was the election promise.Cutting and slashing many medical services,mostly hurting people such as special needs and seniors.

6/Stop the endless bureaucratic restructuring that has drained resources from children and family services,was the promises.Gave CLBC managers big bonuses for kicking the most vulnerable to the curb,then tell us they cancelled the bonuses to later we find out they got it anyway under wages.

7/Vancouver convention centre, we where told would cost 495 million ballooned to 883,2 million. Campbell picked B.C. Liberal insiders to be project leaders. The board was chaired by his deputy minister, and included a former Liberal party president. According to the Auditor General, "from the beginning the board lacked a member with the appropriate expertise for a project of this specialized nature."

8/Not sell or privatize BC Rail.We all know how that went.
Kinsella is alleged to have been involved in entering the $505 million dollar BC Rail tax indemnity (refund) on the books at 255 million. The sale of BC Rail included a $505 million BC Rail tax indemnity on top of $750 million cash and $250 million in direct tax credits. Under the terms of the indemnity, If CN is not refunded the amount of the indemnity from the Federal Government, the Province will return this amount. This reduces the sale price of BC Rail from $1.05 billion to around $500 million. The BC Rail tax indemnity was taken off the Public Accounts in January 2005, before the May 2005 election, when it was reclassified a contingent liability. The BC Rail sale Annual Report was defective and did not cite the indemnity, and recorded these tax credits at zero bookvalue.[29]
snip from wikipedia.

9/Paid 6 million to convicted criminals ,which should only be paid to not guilty parties.

10/30 million payout to fix the bungling of an uranium mine application.

11/ICBC rates increase while managers get big bonuses,and government raids funds for general revenue.

12/Changing rules on IPP 's to make Hydro buy their power first at up to 4 times the rate hydro can produce it for.

13/HST not on the radar,then spending millions on miss leading stick man adds giving half biased truths.

14/Wasted hundreds of thousands amusing corporate big wigs at the Olympics,promising us thousands of jobs and business as a result,never happened.

15/Sea to sky highway will not cost no more than 600 million says Collen Hansen.User vehicle charges to the tune of 63 million every year for contracts over 25 years ,over and above 600 million.

16/looses 35 million to name BC place

17/Replaces BC place roof which still had life for 20 more years.We were told it would cost 100-150 million.But in march 2008 it became 365 million,then in Nov it became 458 million,then by 2010 it was 563 million.

18/The Campbell government admitted that during the most recent election they suppressed information showing the number of people in BC forced to apply for welfare had increased by 10,000. The information was released shortly after the election  http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/05/22/bc-welfare-cases-up.html

19/Liberal's own fudget-budget Before the 2009 election ,the liberals lead us to believe the deficit was 495 million ,then after the election it was discovered to really be 2.7 billion .

20/Kash Heed breaks Election rules and yet is a sitting MLA.Liberals seam to be above the law.

21/Shady back room deals to get the Liberals to privatize liquor transportation,With no business plan to do so.

22/Government book keeping so bad the Auditor general shakes head as can't make sense of them.

23/Contractual obligations increased by 300 % since 2005/2006 from 34 billion to now 96 billion.The provincial debt reported to be 51 billion.For a total of 146 billion in debt.

24/Continues to cancel fall sittings of the legislature,were they can be held accountable for their policies and taken to task for their responsibility to the tax payers in the ministries they control.

25/Liberal insiders manipulating Burnaby Hospital report says NDP
Emails show Liberals appointees blaming health authority for problems, says critic
The B.C. NDP says Liberal party insiders are using "sleazy tactics" to manipulate the findings of a public consultation committee looking at the future of Burnaby Hospital.
NDP Health Critic Mike Farnworth says a committee formed back in April to look at the future of Burnaby Hospital was supposed to be impartial and unbiased, but he says it's been anything but that http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... mails.html

26/Christy Clark lies about following the rules to the tee concerning the Boessenkool investigation and covers up the facts.

27/Clark government squanders 15 million tax dollars on election style advertising 7 months before an election.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
cutypi

Post by cutypi »

RIGHT ON - MAPLE LEAF !!!!!!!!

:greenbanana: :blobbie: :rate10: :discodance: :nyah:

Checkmate CTF
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

My contribution ,a blast from the last 12 years.Don't buy into the Liberal,lies deceit,mismanagement,coverups and smoke and mirror show

And yet the NDP did exactly the same thing when they were in power,

Under the dippers hospital wards were closed forcing people to lie in corridors, awaiting surgery.
Under the dippers they lied to the electorate saying the budget was balanced, the fudget budget.,
Under the dippers BC was stuck with a useless , unsellable fleet of ferries , which cost close to a billion dollars
Under the dippers we had Bingogate , stealing from the disadvantaged to fill party coffers.
-Under the dippers NDP insiders were given an exclusive chance to invest in a B.C. Hydro project in Pakistan. Hydrogate.
Under the dippers BC had eight ( count em, ) consecutive deficit budgets .
Under the dippers the budget was finally balance by raiding the forest renewal fund of over 400 million dollars.
Under the dippers the forest Practices Act was so convoluted , many mills closed because they could meet all the requirements of the Act.
Under the dippers the NDP had the highest marginal tax rate in Canada.
Under the dippers BC had the second highest small business tax in Canada.
Canada’s GDP-per capita grew 25.3% in the 1990s – under the dippers B.C. lagged far behind at only 8.7%.
Under the dippers BC was dead last in job growth compared to the rest of Canada.
Under the dippers there was negative migration out of the Province, as people left to find work elsewhere.
Under the dippers working people had less take home pay after taxes. .

And on it went, they are no better, probably worse, than the current government in economic performance. and running the Province as a whole.

But what really concerns me is that during the 1990s (the lost decade) the chief advisor to Glen Clark was a guy called Adrian Dix. Just imagine the damage he could do if he becomes premier.

incidentally when the NDP government was defeated, Mr. Dix received a severance package of over $60,000.not bad in 1990 dollars. guess the false memo paid off.

Personally, I'm voting green this time around.
Time for a change.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

hoot wrote:And yet the NDP did exactly the same thing when they were in power,

Under the dippers hospital wards were closed forcing people to lie in corridors, awaiting surgery.
Under the dippers they lied to the electorate saying the budget was balanced, the fudget budget.,
Under the dippers BC was stuck with a useless , unsellable fleet of ferries , which cost close to a billion dollars
Under the dippers we had Bingogate , stealing from the disadvantaged to fill party coffers.
-Under the dippers NDP insiders were given an exclusive chance to invest in a B.C. Hydro project in Pakistan. Hydrogate.
Under the dippers BC had eight ( count em, ) consecutive deficit budgets .
Under the dippers the budget was finally balance by raiding the forest renewal fund of over 400 million dollars.
Under the dippers the forest Practices Act was so convoluted , many mills closed because they could meet all the requirements of the Act.
Under the dippers the NDP had the highest marginal tax rate in Canada.
Under the dippers BC had the second highest small business tax in Canada.
Canada’s GDP-per capita grew 25.3% in the 1990s – under the dippers B.C. lagged far behind at only 8.7%.
Under the dippers BC was dead last in job growth compared to the rest of Canada.
Under the dippers there was negative migration out of the Province, as people left to find work elsewhere.
Under the dippers working people had less take home pay after taxes. .

And on it went, they are no better, probably worse, than the current government in economic performance. and running the Province as a whole.

But what really concerns me is that during the 1990s (the lost decade) the chief advisor to Glen Clark was a guy called Adrian Dix. Just imagine the damage he could do if he becomes premier.

incidentally when the NDP government was defeated, Mr. Dix received a severance package of over $60,000.not bad in 1990 dollars. guess the false memo paid off.

Personally, I'm voting green this time around.
Time for a change.

Nicely put together rebuttal Hoot. I find these arguments can go in circles and that is why I always look locally and say “what did this government build here in Penticton” When I do that I see a very long list from the Liberals and a very, very short list from the NDP. The rest is all window dressing to me.

I will be voting Liberal again solely because they did not ignore Penticton and the Okanagan as the NDP did. I also am paying less in taxes today then I did under the NDP. I think the Green party has a ways to go yet but at least last time Julius ran a good campaign for them.
cutypi

Post by cutypi »

I'm with you hoot - Green, Independent, maybe even Conservative, anything but Liberal or the "dippers" as you like to call them. I too think it's time for a change and if we continue to vote these two parties in then we get what we get. So many people keep saying it's one or the other, we have NO CHOICE. Jeez Louise we have to take a stand sometime. If we continue to condone this type of behavior then we are no different than they are. There needs to be a trend of non-acceptance of this behavior and there is no reason the trend can't start here.

Not sure if I am aloud to ask this, so if not then don't answer, but CTF you sound like you're maybe a member of the Liberal party, are you?? That might explain why you keep avoiding all the issues Maple Leaf brought up. Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with hoot and what he/she said about the NDP but you have yet to say anything about the Liberals , EXCEPT, that they have spent "some" tax dollars in Penticton.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

cutypi wrote:Not sure if I am aloud to ask this, so if not then don't answer, but CTF you sound like you're maybe a member of the Liberal party, are you?? That might explain why you keep avoiding all the issues Maple Leaf brought up. Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with hoot and what he/she said about the NDP but you have yet to say anything about the Liberals , EXCEPT, that they have spent "some" tax dollars in Penticton.

No problem with answering your question. I am a recent Liberal party member having joined the party to support one of the candidates who did not succeed in getting elected.

As to your other question, I could easily refute and counter many of the comments made by Maple Leaf but really it would be a pointless exercise to do so. Those are the reason that are valid to Maple Leaf and each of us have our own reasons why we vote the way that we do.

In my case I don’t believe in voting against something I would much rather for something. In this case I don’t bother getting caught up in the mainstream provincial politics. I believe in shopping local just as I believe in voting local. I vote for the candidate and party that I believe will do the most for Penticton. The NDP had a decade to do things here in Penticton and they ignored us and spent the money in NDP areas like Vancouver Island. The list of things the Liberals have done here is long and in my view impressive. Penticton and area was not ignored and I want to see that trend continue.

I hope that explains what I vote for and not against. Thanks for asking I do appreciate the discussion.
cutypi

Post by cutypi »

As do I.. Thanks for that CTF and it is good to see someone sticking to their guns. I tend to agree with Maple leaf on the Liberal side and Hoot on the NDP side though and believe we need to find a way to keep these parties in check. To let them get away with this is , to me, like letting a bank robber off the hook, scot-free, because he was so kind as to have spent some of his ill gotten cash in Penticton.........I'm just saying !!

Return to “Central Okanagan”