B.C. drunk driving law could be overturned

not so new to town

Re: B.C. drunk driving law could be overturned

Post by not so new to town »

diggerdick wrote:The problem is the system is extremely flawed ,Starting with using a handheld roadside screening device As a civil tool of prosecution And hiding behind it as a way To get around the courts , lawyers and most certainly judges.

I want drunk drivers off the road as much as the next guy

But everything in life is not black-and-white . And this case shows Just shows how manipulative RCMP officers can be to try to get a prosecution.

sure is, my wife got a driving with undue care and attention ticket for driving over a curb with at the time 9 month old daughter in the truck. not on purpose either. $408 I think. tried to fight it and lost. but does anybody remeber the chick that came flying down gordon doing 120km, and lost er? if I can recall correctly she got the same ticket.

thats a major flaw in the system
JUST CRUZIN THE BOARD!!!!!!
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Apples and oranges.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

keith1612 wrote:B.C. Solicitor General Shirley Bond has ordered a review of why the RCMP tried 15 times to give a sober 82-year-old Cranbrook woman a breath test for drinking before citing her for failing to blow, suspending her licence and towing her car.

After the two-hour ordeal in a midnight chill, Margaret MacDonald went to the local hospital and had her blood tested for alcohol. There was none.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/12 ... th-sample/

see what happens when you take court out of the equation.

See what happens when people form their opinions based on one-sided, agenda-driven media reports designed to create emotional responses in order to increase hits on their webpage instead of actually informing readers about the reasons why things happened the way they did.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

not so new to town wrote:

sure is, my wife got a driving with undue care and attention ticket for driving over a curb with at the time 9 month old daughter in the truck. not on purpose either. $408 I think. tried to fight it and lost. but does anybody remeber the chick that came flying down gordon doing 120km, and lost er? if I can recall correctly she got the same ticket.

What does this have to do with the IRP system?
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

zzontar wrote:
Okay then, you can lose the "privilege" of driving by doing something illegal. There are also many "rights" you can lose by doing something illegal, so it still seems pretty grey to me.

Well it may be true about losing other things because you break the law the fact remains you cannot drive legally without a DL. That said you have to take a test and PASS that test...and when you sign on the dotted line to get the DL you agree that it can be taken if you do not follow the rules of the road. IRPs are one of those rules. Its like a bank card or credit card...either are actaully yours...they are property of the bank who extent the privilege to you to have one to use.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

at 82 maybe old Maggie ought not to have been driving. :)
We should have zero tolerance, not one drink, not two, nothing ( and this is from someone who drinks) I mean if you can afford the booze you should be able to afford the cab. Meanwhile I know ppl who drive quite drunk, they figure if they stick to the heavy traffic areas they have less chance of being stopped.
BTW, I seriously doubt an Officer is going to give me a ticket for driving over the limit just cause she/he doesn't like my hairstyle or how I am dressed
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Ken7 wrote:
Sorry Trunk, I'm calling BS on that one. If you're under the limit and have residual mouth-alcohol an officer doesn't allow to dissipate and he makes you blow several times consecutively, there will be a problem.

Mouth alcohol lasts 10 minutes from the time you drink.

Any officer trained in the use of any alcohol testing device will wait that time.

Do you think they have nothing else to do but spend it with some one who is under, no they are looking for impaired drivers![/quote]

Wrong. There's at least one officer out there who claims an ASD only registers alcohol in your blood so won't wait the allotted time. This same officer is obviously not looking for impaired drivers, or he wouldn't let someone move their car after pulling their license because he knows they're obviously not impaired. Actually, maybe that cop has smartened up up, just like I had to inform bikeguy that you can't ticket someone for passing on a single solid yellow line. Oh well, so they don't all know the laws... big deal if it ****s up someone's life in the process.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Smurf wrote:quote]zzontar wrote:

Okay then, you can lose the "privilege" of driving by doing something illegal. There are also many "rights" you can lose by doing something illegal, so it still seems pretty grey to me.

Please explain why you shouldn't loose rights when you do something illegal.[/quote]

There are very few things that I would consider a "right." Voting would be one of them as you can rob a bank and chop off someone's head and know you'll still be able to vote. Anything that can be taken away is more like a privilege IMO, and I have no problem with the fact that one can lose these "privileges" if they screw up.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
not so new to town

KL3-Something wrote:Apples and oranges.

exactly the additude the cop had that gave her the ticket. must of been you. thanks for taking $400 outta my kids mouth for driving over a curb!
not so new to town

Trunk-Monkey wrote:

What does this have to do with the IRP system?

making a general point about the system. does that answer your question?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Its not ok to drive over the curb. If it was, then everyone would be doing it and you wouldnt be fined for it.
So, suck up the fine.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

KL3-Something wrote:Apples and oranges.

exactly the additude the cop had that gave her the ticket. must of been you. thanks for taking $400 outta my kids mouth for driving over a curb!

Maybe you should be talking to your wife about her driving instead What caused her to drive over the curb in the first place?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

thats a major flaw in the system.

Do you recall what the Judge said when he concluded the trial? Apparently not or you just did not understand him/her.

I wont use up much time trying to make you understand, but it's real simple. A charge of driving with undue care and attention or Careless driving can be made in many situations, including when there is a lack of attention, judgment or concentration, or due to a mistake being made.

A good example is parking a car infront of a building and hitting the gas not the break and running into the building. Looking down on the floor to pick something up and driving off the road. It is driving without your total focus on the task.

Hope that helps.
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

making a general point about the system. does that answer your question?

"The system" only seems flawed to those that choose not to abide by said system...
not so new to town

Babbitman wrote:Its not ok to drive over the curb. If it was, then everyone would be doing it and you wouldnt be fined for it.
So, suck up the fine.

Its also not ok to make assumptions, it was an accident, how many people here can say they misjudged and had one wheel NOT ever go over a curb?

Return to “B.C.”