grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Temporary Mexican workers at Timmies?

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/83060/R ... im-Hortons

Racist accusations at Tim Hortons
by The Canadian Press - Story: 83060
Nov 9, 2012 / 6:47 pm

Four temporary foreign workers from Mexico who worked at two Tim Hortons locations in Dawson Creek, have launched a human rights complaint against the boss they call a racist.

They say Tony Van Den Bosch charged them double rent, called them Mexican idiots, said he owned their lives and regularly asked for their passports.

Lawyer Eugene Kung of the BC Public Interest Advocacy Centre, which launched the complaint at the BC Human Rights Tribunal, says Van Den Bosch threatened to send the workers back to Mexico when they complained about their working and living conditions at his home.

He says the workers lived two to a room in a five-bedroom house and were asked to pay $200 each at the beginning of the month and an additional $200 rent mid-month.

Kung says additional complaints have been filed with the Labour Ministry regarding Van Den Bosch's breaches of the Employment Standards Act.

A spokeswoman for Tim Hortons Corp., was not available for comment, and Kung says Van Den Bosch no longer owns the franchises.

Why would a Tim Hortons franchise be allowed to import temporary foreign workers? Surely there would be Canadians to fill those jobs.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Temporary Mexican workers at Timmies?

Post by Bsuds »

The place where this happened should be a hint.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Dawson Creek? What's that got to do with it? I used to live there and there's gotta be people there who want to work.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Not for what Timmies pays.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Bsuds wrote:Not for what Timmies pays.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. In places like Fort McMoney and other northern towns, McJobs pay pretty darn good. I've heard McDonalds employees in Ft Mac make $20/hr. I saw a job advertised for a counter parts person at NAPA at $30+/hr.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

i do believe the government kicks in a share for this.
they get flights, room and board and heath benifits and fair wage, same as fruit picking.
if they paid canadians the same we may do it.
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

I know a FF restaurant owner here who a few years ago couldn't get workers - he was paying more than 30% over minimum wage plus benefits and still couldn't get anyone here to fill the jobs, so he brought workers in from the Phillipines. They were great workers and stayed for a few years - were still here when people started coming in begging for jobs they didn't want a few years previously.

Also know an orchardist who brings the same crew in from Mexico every year. He also tries to hire locally but has never found locals to be reliable - they may show up, they may not.
not so new to town

Post by not so new to town »

grammafreddy wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/83060/Racist-accusations-at-Tim-Hortons

Racist accusations at Tim Hortons
by The Canadian Press - Story: 83060
Nov 9, 2012 / 6:47 pm

Four temporary foreign workers from Mexico who worked at two Tim Hortons locations in Dawson Creek, have launched a human rights complaint against the boss they call a racist.

They say Tony Van Den Bosch charged them double rent, called them Mexican idiots, said he owned their lives and regularly asked for their passports.

Lawyer Eugene Kung of the BC Public Interest Advocacy Centre, which launched the complaint at the BC Human Rights Tribunal, says Van Den Bosch threatened to send the workers back to Mexico when they complained about their working and living conditions at his home.

He says the workers lived two to a room in a five-bedroom house and were asked to pay $200 each at the beginning of the month and an additional $200 rent mid-month.

Kung says additional complaints have been filed with the Labour Ministry regarding Van Den Bosch's breaches of the Employment Standards Act.

A spokeswoman for Tim Hortons Corp., was not available for comment, and Kung says Van Den Bosch no longer owns the franchises.

Why would a Tim Hortons franchise be allowed to import temporary foreign workers? Surely there would be Canadians to fill those jobs.

Howmany timmies have you seen where the majority is white? travel all the time between alberta and bc, yet to see a location where white isnt the minority. but anyways I think he was right in his actions minus the taking of the passport. I used to pay $400.00 per month and I shared that room with 1 other guy while we worked. Jobs ive also worked were the same in the respect that if you were just gonna sit around and complain you go the f home. not really seeing the problem here, and who cant take a bit of name calling in the work place, unless your in an office (and it even happens there to) people are gonna make fun of you, call you names. Make remarks about how much of an idiot you are. call you a "mexican idiot"....lol, it happens and I think there in the wrong country
JUST CRUZIN THE BOARD!!!!!!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

who cant take a bit of name calling in the work place
In this case, it's just plain wrong and anyone who thinks it's okay sure haven't kept up with current events.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Carmencat wrote:I know a FF restaurant owner here who a few years ago couldn't get workers - he was paying more than 30% over minimum wage plus benefits and still couldn't get anyone here to fill the jobs, so he brought workers in from the Phillipines. They were great workers and stayed for a few years - were still here when people started coming in begging for jobs they didn't want a few years previously.

Also know an orchardist who brings the same crew in from Mexico every year. He also tries to hire locally but has never found locals to be reliable - they may show up, they may not.

id love to see a FF resturant that pays 30% over minimum, just 1 and benefits lol
and the orchards pay canadians $9.55 a hr to work long hours with no benefits.
when they bring in the mexicans they have to pay flights,food,housing,and benefits, maybe if they offered the same to canadians they would find workers.
id pick apples for a fair wage a flight to and from mexico (i will take the flight when the season is done) pay my rent and buy me lunch daily.
sounds like a great summer job.
not so new to town

Fancy wrote:
who cant take a bit of name calling in the work place
In this case, it's just plain wrong and anyone who thinks it's okay sure haven't kept up with current events.

yeah ok, you go to a rig, run heavy equipment, landscape, and Im not going to list all the jobs out there but workplace name calling is gonna happen. these guys said paying $400.00 per month and bi weekly was unfair? then go the F home... this guy could have been doing it outta good intentions and they took it wrong, now since im half spanish. ive been there.

NOT interested in those that come to canada and want everything handed to them. i came from a below average income, single parent home, in a small alberta town. I was raised by the stick. You work, take care of your family and treat others as you would want to be treated.

Seems the world isnt keeping up on current events. Ive seen more bullying on this board, then Ive seen in a work place in a long time. but as long as we do it over a screen to people we dont know thats ok right?
not so new to town

keith1612 wrote:
Carmencat wrote:I know a FF restaurant owner here who a few years ago couldn't get workers - he was paying more than 30% over minimum wage plus benefits and still couldn't get anyone here to fill the jobs, so he brought workers in from the Phillipines. They were great workers and stayed for a few years - were still here when people started coming in begging for jobs they didn't want a few years previously.

id love to see a FF resturant that pays 30% over minimum, just 1 and benefits lol
and the orchards pay canadians $9.55 a hr to work long hours with no benefits.
when they bring in the mexicans they have to pay flights,food,housing,and benefits, maybe if they offered the same to canadians they would find workers.
id pick apples for a fair wage a flight to and from mexico (i will take the flight when the season is done) pay my rent and buy me lunch daily.
sounds like a great summer job.

Ha, I agree
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Ive seen more bullying on this board, then Ive seen in a work place in a long time. but as long as we do it over a screen to people we dont know thats ok right?
Really? Makes it okay to bully? Try using the avenues available to you to decrease bullying. If people are not treated the same across the board then that is problem that needs to be addressed.

additional complaints have been filed with the Labour Ministry regarding Van Den Bosch's breaches of the Employment Standards Act.
Seems there is substance to this story.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
not so new to town

Fancy wrote:
Ive seen more bullying on this board, then Ive seen in a work place in a long time. but as long as we do it over a screen to people we dont know thats ok right?
Really? Makes it okay to bully? Try using the avenues available to you to decease bullying. If people are not treated the same across the board then that is problem that needs to be addressed.

Nope, totally against bullying, but i think a little workplace hazzing is ok, I worked the Patch for a few years, it happens more often then not. when I was on a rig, and you couldnt do something, cause you werent strong enough and a guy calls ya a *bleep*, you dont run and tell your rig manager that a guy called ya a *bleep*. like come on in this day and age? its gonna be out there. but I dont agree with bullying.
not so new to town

Fancy wrote:
Really? Makes it okay to bully? Try using the avenues available to you to decrease bullying. If people are not treated the same across the board then that is problem that needs to be addressed.

additional complaints have been filed with the Labour Ministry regarding Van Den Bosch's breaches of the Employment Standards Act.
Seems there is substance to this story.

but wait, I bet each company has had there fair share of complaints filled against them because a employee feels entitled to more then what they are, so they go fill and I goes on the record. i am not defending this guy, I want to make that very clear. However Ive filled complaints because i felt i was entitled to sevrence pay ect ect... we need to know the exact cause of that complaint.

Return to “B.C.”