Homeless woman who returned purse with $10,000 rewarded

French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Homeless woman who returned purse with $10,000 rewarded

Post by French Castanut »

CALGARY -- Good karma seems to have found its way back to the humble homeless Calgary woman who turned in a purse containing more than $10,000 in cash

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Good_News/2 ... 80961.html
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
SurplusElect
Übergod

Re: Homeless woman who returned purse with $10,000 rewarded

Post by SurplusElect »

I may be mistaken, but if you have 10,000 (there was $10,400) cash on your persons you need to have a bank draft proving why you have that money. Fintrac, ect. The cop said "he doesn't believe there was anything illegal happening...?

Who carries that kind of cash but drug dealers/black market/blackmailers/ees? I don't know, if I found that money I would have snagged it. I know, I'm terrible.

I would have either figured it was illegal (no problem whatsoever grabbing it) or the person who had it really doesn't value it that much (or money in general) given the circumstances. If that was your last 10,000 dollars, you wouldn't leave it in your purse and forget it.
Last edited by SurplusElect on Nov 9th, 2012, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

SurplusElect wrote:
...the reward was a donation to the YMCA that the homeless woman was staying in.

Where did you read that? Link?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

grammafreddy wrote:
Where did you read that? Link?

My bad, the YMCA is going to accept the donation and give it to her.

Given the article is titled "Homeless woman who returned purse with $10,000 rewarded", the Sun fell short on explaining the actual reward given by the person who had the 10k. Other people sent in donations (how much?).
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Who cares who donated and how much. Why is it any of our business. Good on the woman for returning the money. In her position I'm sure that some wouldn't.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

SurplusElect wrote:I may be mistaken, but if you have 10,000 (there was $10,400) cash on your persons you need to have a bank draft proving why you have that money. Fintrac, ect. The cop said "he doesn't believe there was anything illegal happening...?

Who carries that kind of cash but drug dealers/black market/blackmailers/ees? I don't know, if I found that money I would have snagged it. I know, I'm terrible.

I would have either figured it was illegal (no problem whatsoever grabbing it) or the person who had it really doesn't value it that much (or money in general) given the circumstances. If that was your last 10,000 dollars, you wouldn't leave it in your purse and forget it.

You are mistaken, both in your interpretation of the law and in your justification for keeping the money.

It's not yours......give it back.....it's simple! :127:

You don't strike me as the type of person who stops to think whether they would like someone to treat them that way.
You and 71 others Like this post
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

SurplusElect"]I may be mistaken, but if you have 10,000 (there was $10,400) cash on your persons you need to have a bank draft proving why you have that money. Fintrac, ect. The cop said "he doesn't believe there was anything illegal happening...?

Where did you get this? If you owned a hot tub store or any business, could it be possible you would have over 10k in cash?

If you walk into your bank and you wish to deposit 10K, the bank will notify the authorities. But to walk around with 10K, you do not need a draft.

Chances are the police checked the owner out and found nothing, which would indicate anything suspicious....
not so new to town

Post by not so new to town »

Ken7 wrote:
SurplusElect"]I may be mistaken, but if you have 10,000 (there was $10,400) cash on your persons you need to have a bank draft proving why you have that money. Fintrac, ect. The cop said "he doesn't believe there was anything illegal happening...?

Where did you get this? If you owned a hot tub store or any business, could it be possible you would have over 10k in cash?

If you walk into your bank and you wish to deposit 10K, the bank will notify the authorities. But to walk around with 10K, you do not need a draft.

Chances are the police checked the owner out and found nothing, which would indicate anything suspicious....

you know that for sure? I used to deposit and withdraw more then that at any given time, nobody ever came to see me. I deposited $30,000 cash, in new $100.00 bills from the rbc in westbank and nobody said anything, I withdrew and deposited sums of $10,000.00 right up to the $30,000.00 more then once. again nobody came over to see me.
JUST CRUZIN THE BOARD!!!!!!
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

not so new to town wrote:
Ken7 wrote:
you know that for sure? I used to deposit and withdraw more then that at any given time, nobody ever came to see me. I deposited $30,000 cash, in new $100.00 bills from the rbc in westbank and nobody said anything, I withdrew and deposited sums of $10,000.00 right up to the $30,000.00 more then once. again nobody came over to see me.

They don't tell you, they fill a form and fax it to the govt.

That's the actual form they have to fill:

http://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/publica ... 08-eng.pdf
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

French Castanut"/"not so new to town"/Ken7

They don't tell you, they fill a form and fax it to the govt.

That's the actual form they have to fill:

http://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/publica ... 08-eng.pdf

Thanks French... I wasn't going to respond as it may be implied I'm calling someone stupid again. :dyinglaughing:
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I have deposited over 10k before from our shop. I had to show ID and sign a form. This was at RBC. I have found many wallets full of cash over the years and I always return them intact. I would never even entertain the thought of taking something from someone else.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

happened a month ago, I can find nothing further re what the reward was
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “Canada”