Undefeated - The Toughest Bridge in the World

Home of the traffic rant.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Undefeated - The Toughest Bridge in the World

Post by oneh2obabe »

The Durham train trestle has stood its ground for the last 100 years. This fact doesn't deter some drivers from challenging the bridge about once a month. All of them fail.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3c0_1351184890
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Undefeated - The Toughest Bridge in the World

Post by Bsuds »

Amazing how many drivers don't know the height of their vehicles!

Ya can't fix stupid!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

LOL -that was funny!

Anyone remember the old concrete double road tunnels under the train tracks at the east end of Greenwood? Not only were they low, they were narrow, too. Quite a few trucks and overheight vehicles/loads challenged those cement tunnels and lost.

MOTH blasted them to get rid of them to build a new highway, but then they discovered an old, old tunnel buried in the eastern approach for these twin tunnels. MOTH was gonna get rid of that old tunnel, too, but there was a public uproar so they kept it and unearthed the whole thing.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

And the most tragic thing about it:

Will insurance cover the damages?

Most truck rental insurance policies specifically exclude overhead damage from coverage..
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

grammafreddy wrote:LOL -that was funny!

Anyone remember the old concrete double road tunnels under the train tracks at the east end of Greenwood? Not only were they low, they were narrow, too. Quite a few trucks and overheight vehicles/loads challenged those cement tunnels and lost.

MOTH blasted them to get rid of them to build a new highway, but then they discovered an old, old tunnel buried in the eastern approach for these twin tunnels. MOTH was gonna get rid of that old tunnel, too, but there was a public uproar so they kept it and unearthed the whole thing.

That place is fantastic. I love going there
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Graphite wrote:
That place is fantastic. I love going there

Do you remember the old tunnels on the highway you had to drive through?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

^ And all these years of driving past that tunnel, I had thought it was an old train tunnel. I learn something new everyday!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Glacier wrote:^ And all these years of driving past that tunnel, I had thought it was an old train tunnel. I learn something new everyday!

That one is an old train tunnel. When they built the road from Greenwood to Grand Forks many, many years ago, they buried that tunnel and built a new railway grade over top of it and over the new road which had two tunnels built into it for vehicles to go through under the new rail grade.

In the late 1980's or early 1990's, because so many vehicles were having issues with the twin tunnels and because the railway didn't run there any more, MOTH decided to get rid of the twin vehicle tunnels and use the rail grade as part of the Trans Canada Trail. When they blasted out the twin tunnels and were doing the trail approach work, they discovered this buried train tunnel. They were going to destroy it but finally people convinced them to leave it and they did. They did a bit of a realignment of their plans and this tunnel sits off to the side of the new highway. Then the mayor of Greenwood, Arno Hennig, decided to paint the flags of the world on it. Personally, I think his flag graffiti looks cheap and ugly, but that's just my opinion. Others think it is wonderful.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”