Atheism/Agnosticism on the rise

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Atheism/Agnosticism on the rise

Post by hobbyguy »

I happen to think that the rise in agnosticism relates to the strength of secular education. Secular education does tend to get one to focus on thinking for yourself. This is antithetical to formal religions, who tend to promote unquestioning belief and faith in a dogma or set of dogmas.

I also think that while science and the scientific method are valid ways of thinking, science can have its own dogmas which can be resistant to new data/methods. Just because you can not detect something and/or measure it does not mean it does not exist, and data are subject to misinterpretation and revision when new technology evolves.

My personal change to agnosticism from formal religion started with being put down by a clergyman for asking a simple question: how do you reconcile Revelations and the Old Testament with the more peaceful message of the gospels?

This lead me to look into how and when the bible as we know it was put together. The inclusion of Revelations remains controversial, and the decisions regarding what to include in the bible were highly political, and not made until the 3rd century and later.

From there, the writings of Allan Watts gave me a different perspective, as did D.T. Suzuki's "Studies in Zen" and the writings of Lao Tzu and others.

Allan Watts expression of the notion of "a little piece of god inside each of us - trying to get out" is quite interesting.

In a nutshell, education and access to alternative thought streams lead me to reject formal religions for me. That does not mean that I am against formal religions as a path for others. That is not for me to judge. But I am adamantlly against the forces of theocracy.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

jennylives » Jul 12th, 2012, 10:46 pm
It has nothing to do with history and characters. I became an atheist because of the complete lack of evidence. Removing one religion does not mean the implementation of another one. We have another option, no religion and a secular society.

Nebula wrote:Amen, jenny.

Oh my, that is funny!
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

There are no athiests in a foxhole.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

jennylives wrote:We have another option, no religion and a secular society.

Our current system of freedom of choice would be working just fine were it not for judgementalism form both sides of the issue. It's certainly fine to believe that we have made the best decision for ourselves, but to assume that choice is right for everyone crosses the line of mutual respect. The is a distinction to be made between "My way is best for me" and "My way is better than your way".
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

People are entitled to believe or worship whatever they would like. I was referring to keeping society secular. Places like government and schools. My comment From back in July was directed at this one of Averagejoe's that we must one religion with another. I should have quoted it.

Actually not Fluffy. That is whats coming. You and others should know what your going to replace Christianity with. It will be a One World Government with one religion for all. Atheists/New Ager's etc have no clue as to what is coming. Yet they wring there hands with glee for the destruction of Christianity. The the NWO will be here very soon.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Sorry, I was focusing on the "no religion" part and didn't make the connection.

At his point I think it bears repeating that while religion takes a lot of heat for violnece and unrest around the world, this is not the fault of religion itself but the work of a fanatical few using religious beliefs to manipualyte others into fulfilling a selfish and very unreligious agenda. This misplaced and inaccurate view that religion is inherently evil is likely reponsible for many to adopt atheist/agnostic views, but the view itself is based on a false assumption. Another reason for the departure from religion towards atheism/agnosticism is religion's failure to keep abreast of the times, a failure to offer a concept of God that is not at odds with scientific fact. There is still plenty of mystery in the world that is open to spiritual interpretation.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

I'll see your silly poster and raise you this
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” a lovely quote from Stephen Roberts.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

The problem with most religions and what makes them dangerous is that they are fear based. The reward and punishment doctrines are prisons for the mind. These religions are used to control large portions of the population through fear. Fear is our biggest enemy. "There is nothing to fear but fear itself." If there truly is a loving and compassionate god, then there should be no reason to fear it. Religions are created by humans to stifle their natural instincts. Some feel they cannot be moral without a god to lord over them. Sometimes I think this is a throw back to when we were lorded over by kings and pharaohs; some residual glitch in our DNA.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
E3V
Fledgling

Post by E3V »

concernie wrote:Image

This Imaginary character called Satan has nothing on Humans. The most violent animals ever.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I don't mind Satanists. They have the best rock albums.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

concernie wrote:Image

I don't quite understand what this graphic is supposed to convey. Is it tht atheism is better than satanism, satanism is better than atheism, or atheism is the same as satanism? Concernie, you should really learn how to supply context with the images and videos you post.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
I don't quite understand what this graphic is supposed to convey. Is it tht atheism is better than satanism, satanism is better than atheism, or atheism is the same as satanism? Concernie, you should really learn how to supply context with the images and videos you post.

It looks like it is supposed to say they are the same, but Satan only exists for those who believe in it, so Satan is alive and doing well in all of the Abraham based religions. Atheists don't believe any of it, so they are not affected by either God or Satan.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

cliffy1 wrote: Atheists don't believe any of it, so they are not affected by either God or Satan.

But they are affected by their belief in atheism.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Sneaksuit wrote:
cliffy1 wrote: Atheists don't believe any of it, so they are not affected by either God or Satan.

But they are affected by their belief in atheism.

Atheists are defined as having a lack of belief.

“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”

― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”