Atheism/Agnosticism on the rise

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Re: Atheism/Agnosticism on the rise

Post by Sneaksuit »

The atheist's lack of belief in gods is a belief in itself, as opposed to the agnostic, who is content with uncertainty. New atheists, such as Dennett, Dawkins, and Harris go one step further and "believe" anything beyond science is not real, suggested by their writings, although sometimes they say otherwise. That's the type portrayed in the picture showing materialism.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Sneaksuit wrote:But they are affected by their belief in atheism.

How can you be affected by a non-belief? What are the affects?
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Sneaksuit wrote:The atheist's lack of belief in gods is a belief in itself, as opposed to the agnostic, who is content with uncertainty. New atheists, such as Dennett, Dawkins, and Harris go one step further and "believe" anything beyond science is not real, suggested by their writings, although sometimes they say otherwise. That's the type portrayed in the picture showing materialism.

Science is a religion to many. Science can be just as dogmatic as any religion.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Sneaksuit wrote:The atheist's lack of belief in gods is a belief in itself, as opposed to the agnostic, who is content with uncertainty. New atheists, such as Dennett, Dawkins, and Harris go one step further and "believe" anything beyond science is not real, suggested by their writings, although sometimes they say otherwise. That's the type portrayed in the picture showing materialism.

It's not just believe in one thing or believe in another. We do have facts and you can look at them and come to a methodical, logical conclusion that there are no deities. It is a lack of belief based on a lack of evidence.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

jennylives wrote: We do have facts and you can look at them and come to a methodical, logical conclusion that there are no deities. It is a lack of belief based on a lack of evidence.

Then you would believe in scientism. As the name implies, it is the idea that science represents the only path to discovering the truth about reality. The philosophy of scientism is old and many scientists don't even believe it as truth because there are many things that science cannot explain. Further, just as theology cannot prove the existence of God, science cannot prove the non-existence of God.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

There are many things science can't explain yet. As we discover new things it opens new questions. That is the nature of discovery. There is no end to knowledge, just more to learn. Science is the method we use to deduce what is fact and what is fiction. It is how we determine what we believe and what we know.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

...yet scientists sometimes can't agree on simplest things - kinda like religious folks.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

jennylives wrote:There are many things science can't explain yet.... Science is the method we use to deduce what is fact and what is fiction. It is how we determine what we believe and what we know.

Not true. You have a gross overconfidence and mis-understanding of science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_science
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

jennylives wrote:There are many things science can't explain yet. As we discover new things it opens new questions. That is the nature of discovery. There is no end to knowledge, just more to learn. Science is the method we use to deduce what is fact and what is fiction. It is how we determine what we believe and what we know.

Everything we know as individuals comes from personal experience. Accepting what scientists say without personally proving it for ourselves is not much more than what the religious do. Everything we read written by someone else is just conjecture and their opinion. Belief is the blind acceptance of what someone else said. Knowing is actually having personally experienced it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

cliffy1 wrote: Everything we read written by someone else is just conjecture and their opinion. Belief is the blind acceptance of what someone else said. Knowing is actually having personally experienced it.

So, I only believe in WW2, and don't actually know it took place?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Captain Awesome wrote:...yet scientists sometimes can't agree on simplest things - kinda like religious folks.

What simple things?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Sneaksuit wrote:
Not true. You have a gross overconfidence and mis-understanding of science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_science

Philosophy asks why, science asks how.

Although asking if philosophy is a science is a whole new can of worms.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

jennylives wrote:What simple things?

Like evolution. Or global warming.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I would hardly consider those cases worthy of calling them something science doesn't agree upon. Especially evolution, we have observed it. It's how we have flu shots.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

And to tie it back in the with topic, these are reasons why people are increasingly becoming secular. Science is filling in the gaps we used to hand over to god.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”