Atheism/Agnosticism on the rise

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Atheism/Agnosticism on the rise

Post by Captain Awesome »

jennylives wrote:I would hardly consider those cases worthy of calling them something science doesn't agree upon.

Well, your consideration doesn't change the fact that scientists don't agree on evolution - despite you observing it, apparently. Science is far from black and white as you portray it to be, and filled with unproven theories, controversies, politics, and outright lies.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Captain Awesome wrote:
So, I only believe in WW2, and don't actually know it took place?

That is partly right. It occurred because we know people (like my father) who were there. How it actually went down is a matter of opinion since we only have conflicting hearsay evidence. History is no different than science or religion because they are all in the hands of fallible and corruptible humans.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Captain Awesome wrote:
jennylives wrote:I would hardly consider those cases worthy of calling them something science doesn't agree upon.

Well, your consideration doesn't change the fact that scientists don't agree on evolution - despite you observing it, apparently. Science is far from black and white as you portray it to be, and filled with unproven theories, controversies, politics, and outright lies.

Yes, scientists do agree on evolution. That matter is settled. If there are a few wing nuts not accepting the vast amounts of evidence they don't get validity because they call themselves scientists. Evolution is no longer a debatable issue. Those who still challenge it are saying they don't understand it or are not willing to see past religious blinders. Yes, science is filled with controversies and not every issue is settled but evolution is not one of them.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Captain Awesome wrote:

I'd be really interested to hear what these unproven theories, controversies, politics and outright lies are. Please feel free to back up your statement.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Tick tock typical. It's really easy to make blanket statements and vague accusations, but when asked for clarification...nothing, nada, zip, zilch.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Perhaps he was talking evolution as in evolution vs creation. There is absolutely no solid proof as how a non-living primordial soup can produce a living cell, and how some of those cells went on to become trees, some became elephants, fish, etc. To say scientists agree on how that happened is absurd.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

zzontar wrote:Perhaps he was talking evolution as in evolution vs creation. There is absolutely no solid proof as how a non-living primordial soup can produce a living cell, and how some of those cells went on to become trees, some became elephants, fish, etc. To say scientists agree on how that happened is absurd.

They would be arguing a different theory then because evolution does not encompass that step. A basic description is that evolution explains the diversity of species. The second part they do know. I recommend Dawkins' The Greatest Story Ever Told: The Evidence for Evolution if you'd like an easy reading understanding of it.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

jennylives wrote:They would be arguing a different theory then because evolution does not encompass that step.

Why wouldn't it? If you believe everything evolved from something then it should.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

The fact of evolution itself is not debated much in the scientific community anymore, but the process is so complex it is not completely understood, not even close.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Captain Awesome wrote:
"Well, your consideration doesn't change the fact that scientists don't agree on evolution - despite you observing it, apparently. Science is far from black and white as you portray it to be, and filled with unproven theories, controversies, politics, and outright lies."

"Mr Danksworth
I'd be really interested to hear what these unproven theories, controversies, politics and outright lies are. Please feel free to back up your statement.

:127: I'm sorry, but you wouldn't be a very well read or educated person if you didn't realize that science is and has always been a work in progress containing (along with proven and established facts) plenty of theories which have been completely discredited by science itself, not to mention as yet unproved theories, sometimes swayed by politics, and/or in the back pocket of other wealthy and influential interest groups. But honestly, I doubt that you yourself are really that naive so I don't mean that as a put-down, just a general observation.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

jennylives wrote: Evolution is no longer a debatable issue.

:129: and yet even outside of religious influence it continues as new evidence is uncovered to tweak theories.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

There are two obvious examples of evolution that have occured in my lifetime.
Perhaps the most obvious is the emergence of drug resistant bacteria.
Another is the evolution of a group of birds I forget the species, One group of these birds migrates south from England every winter, another group stays because it is fed by English bird feeders. There is now a genetic difference in the two groups.
We're lost but we're making good time.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

In many ways fanatical believers and equally fanatical non-believers are cut from the same cloth. They are both incapable of accepting that there are things that we just don't know, that both fanatical belief and fanatical denial of those beliefs are unprovable concepts in an absolute sense.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

steven lloyd wrote:
jennylives wrote: Evolution is no longer a debatable issue.

:129: and yet even outside of religious influence it continues as new evidence is uncovered to tweak theories.

The mechanics are still being hammered out and the implications understood and put to use. That it is occurring is not. Evolution is a theory in the same way gravity is.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Nibs wrote:There are two obvious examples of evolution that have occured in my lifetime.
Perhaps the most obvious is the emergence of drug resistant bacteria.
Another is the evolution of a group of birds I forget the species, One group of these birds migrates south from England every winter, another group stays because it is fed by English bird feeders. There is now a genetic difference in the two groups.

This is another http://myxo.css.msu.edu/ecoli/

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”