Drunk sends young girl to hospital

Verminator
Board Meister

Re: Drunk sends young girl to hospital

Post by Verminator »

ukcanuck wrote:
Don't want to forgive a drunk driver, think they should rot in jail, be careful it could easily be you and you are fool to think otherwise.

Sorry, but I have to call BS here. If you don't think someone can decide for themselves to never drink and drive, you'd better think again. I've never driven after even having one drink and I never will, end of story. I know the risks and the consequences all too well, thank you.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

Verminator wrote:
Sorry, but I have to call BS here. If you don't think someone can decide for themselves to never drink and drive, you'd better think again. I've never driven after even having one drink and I never will, end of story. I know the risks and the consequences all too well, thank you.

Well said. Its a choice....
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

Verminator wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
Don't want to forgive a drunk driver, think they should rot in jail, be careful it could easily be you and you are fool to think otherwise.

It isn't call driving drunk it's called driving while impaired and you have been impaired behind the wheel before unless you are a robot.
You've driven tired, you've taken your eyes of the road, you probably driven while eating or drinking nonalcoholic beverages. You might even have looked at your phone while driving even if you haven't actually spoken on it or texted.
The point is if you kill a little girl feeding horses by the side of the road due to a moment of inattention, or overtiredness, the girl is just as dead and you are just as negligent and it could happen to you as easily as the next person.
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

Trunk-Monkey wrote:
Verminator wrote:

Well said. Its a choice....

funny how everyone makes all these choices, it's almost like nothing bad ever happened to a nice guy eh?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

ukcanuck wrote:funny how everyone makes all these choices, it's almost like nothing bad ever happened to a nice guy eh?
Not amusing considering how nice people get killed or maimed by drunk drivers.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

ukcanuck wrote:

ukcanuck wrote:It isn't call driving drunk it's called driving while impaired and you have been impaired behind the wheel before unless you are a robot.
You've driven tired, you've taken your eyes of the road, you probably driven while eating or drinking nonalcoholic beverages. You might even have looked at your phone while driving even if you haven't actually spoken on it or texted.
The point is if you kill a little girl feeding horses by the side of the road due to a moment of inattention, or overtiredness, the girl is just as dead and you are just as negligent and it could happen to you as easily as the next person.

Those examples except for driving while tired are all called distracted driving or driving without due care, not impaired or driving drunk.
Besides you said in the first quote "Don't want to forgive a drunk driver, think they should rot in jail, be careful it could easily be you and you are fool to think otherwise." DRIVING DRUNK or IMPAIRED by alcohol or drugs is a choice...period.
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

ukcanuck wrote:.....it's almost like nothing bad ever happened to a nice guy eh?

It has nothing to do with if the person is nice or not...it has to do with if they choose to drive drunk or not. I have had impaired investigations where the accused was a very nice person. Still they drove drunk, which is against the law. Even nice people make the wrong choice from time to time, problem is these types of choices also kill nice people.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

ukcanuck wrote:You've driven tired, you've taken your eyes of the road, you probably driven while eating or drinking nonalcoholic beverages. You might even have looked at your phone while driving even if you haven't actually spoken on it or texted.

I agree that she is just as dead (although i disagree that it could happen to me as easily as the next person) and there is a criminal charge that relates to those actions. It's just a different charge if the reason was due to drinking alcohol.
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

Trunk-Monkey wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

ukcanuck wrote:It isn't call driving drunk it's called driving while impaired and you have been impaired behind the wheel before unless you are a robot.

Those examples except for driving while tired are all called distracted driving or driving without due care, not impaired or driving drunk.
Besides you said in the first quote "Don't want to forgive a drunk driver, think they should rot in jail, be careful it could easily be you and you are fool to think otherwise." DRIVING DRUNK or IMPAIRED by alcohol or drugs is a choice...period.

That's a good one, drug addicts and alcoholics choose to be addicted. Lol good one.
Whatever, you run the girl down and live with the semantics, if you have any compassion you know that throwing away the key is cruel and ridiculous. it solves nothing

As a cop I'm surprised that you think filling the jails is a solution.
Remember we aren't talking about letting anyone off the hook were talking about charging everyone as attempted murderers and
Forcing people to display Ds on their cars and life without parole....
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Read in the Times Colonist out of Victoria the other day that drivers on perscription opiates kill just as many innocent people as drunks.....

Waiting for the up roar....One beer won't kill any one , but one dilaudid for pain in the emergency room after a work place accident will..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

ukcanuck wrote:As a cop I'm surprised that you think filling the jails is a solution.

I don't recall Trunk-Monkey saying that.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

ukcanuck wrote:That's a good one, drug addicts and alcoholics choose to be addicted. Lol good one.
Whatever, you run the girl down and live with the semantics, if you have any compassion you know that throwing away the key is cruel and ridiculous. it solves nothing

As a cop I'm surprised that you think filling the jails is a solution.
Remember we aren't talking about letting anyone off the hook were talking about charging everyone as attempted murderers and
Forcing people to display Ds on their cars and life without parole....

Drug addicts and alcoholics may not have a choice whether they drink or get high or whatever...and that is debatable to say the least...BUT THEY CAN CHOOSE NOT TO DRIVE A CAR when they have consumed either drugs or alcohol. That is a choice EVERYONE HAS.
At no point did I say filling the jails was a solution. I think you have me confused with another poster. If not...please do not put words in my mouth as I never said anything of the sort. In fact I have supported the IRPs an administrative process. You have a narrow mind when it comes to this subject...one that focuses too much on the person driving drunk and why he or she did so. When the fact of the matter is they made that choice to drive....choices that kill people.
Further to that I never said anything about putting a D on a persons car. In fact I said it was not necessay as police have data bases for that info...
Please read the posts more carefully as this will stop you from accusing me of things I did not say.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

MAPearce wrote:Read in the Times Colonist out of Victoria the other day that drivers on perscription opiates kill just as many innocent people as drunks.....

Waiting for the up roar....One beer won't kill any one , but one dilaudid for pain in the emergency room after a work place accident will..

Actually, that's not what it said at all. It said:

People in southeast British Columbia are dying from prescription opioid overdoses at the same rate that they're dying in drunk driving accidents.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Presc ... z2CRCDVf9G

Fail!

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Prescription+opioid+deaths+high+drunk+driving+deaths/7532683/story.html
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

MAPearce wrote:Read in the Times Colonist out of Victoria the other day that drivers on perscription opiates kill just as many innocent people as drunks.....

Yea PEARCE you missed the point or didnt read the article at all. This is how useless rumours get spread...misdirection avoided. Possibly the same way the harassment thing is blown out of proportion...maybe..
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

ukcanuck wrote:
I think anyone who drinks is a potential drunk driver and I believe that a lot of sober drivers are worse dangers on the road than some drunks. so you see I think it might be you in the docket one day and I would have compassion even for you too.

You'd be wrong, I know many drinkers including myself who would never, just because today we know we should plan before we get drunk so we have a place to stay or a safe ride home, sure some knucleheads will but they are not Just drinkers, they are idiots, a whole different type of people.
Are there non drinkers ho could be a worse threat? Not the point here but ya, there could be,,, see the many threads on those issues, "Yer an idiot", "Gotcha, talking on your cell phone" and likely many more. All being discussed there in them threads.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post

Return to “Central Okanagan”