Another area in IH with Doctor shortage

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Another area in IH with Doctor shortage

Post by GordonH »

http://www.castanet.net/news/North-Okan ... one-doctor

Enderby has large retired population for its size so it will be hard on those who will be forced to drive to Vernon or Salmon Arm (if they can get family Doctor). Those with vehicles will manage, but those who's driving privileges have been removed will have hard time.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Alvis
Board Meister

Re: Another area in IH with Doctor shortage

Post by Alvis »

They also have a hospital shortage. Think there is a link?
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Alvis wrote:They also have a hospital shortage. Think there is a link?

Are you trying to be smart? Enderby used to have a hospital. It was closed several years ago.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

gardengirl wrote:

Are you trying to be smart? Enderby used to have a hospital. It was closed several years ago.

Really?
Why did they close it down? That seems a silly move.

:127:
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

gardengirl wrote:

Alvis wrote:Really?
Why did they close it down? That seems a silly move.

:127:

Indeed. In the last few years, many of the smaller hospitals have been closed.
Enderby had a hospital of some sort since 1910.
Enderby and Armstrong both had full service hospitals back to the 1960s or before.
The did minor surgeries, obstetrics, had emergency rooms.
Enderby had 3 or 4 full time doctors, including surgeon when I was a kid.
It was a 20 bed hospital which was attached to a 35 bed residential care facility.
It was closed about 10 years ago.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

:127:[/quote]

Indeed. In the last few years, many of the smaller hospitals have been closed.
Enderby had a hospital of some sort since 1910.
Enderby and Armstrong both had full service hospitals back to the 1960s or before.
The did minor surgeries, obstetrics, had emergency rooms.
Enderby had 3 or 4 full time doctors, including surgeon when I was a kid.
It was a 20 bed hospital which was attached to a 35 bed residential care facility.
It was closed about 10 years ago.[/quote]

I'm sure most of us remember when this was done (closing of small hospitals) by our new provincial government because it was much more efficient...LOL. Big city politicians not understanding small town needs. There have been many examples how this has been a bad move in the last ten years and this is just another one. Off topic but closing schools in small towns is another similar bad decision.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

danmartin wrote:

I'm sure most of us remember when this was done (closing of small hospitals) by our new provincial government because it was much more efficient...LOL. Big city politicians not understanding small town needs. There have been many examples how this has been a bad move in the last ten years and this is just another one. Off topic but closing schools in small towns is another similar bad decision.

It also no coincidence that the closure of many of these small hospitals has resulted in Doctor shortages a few years down the road.

Well it is nice to see at least one person remembers Enderby and District Hospital. I am rather disgusted when I hear long time Enderby residents say "We used to have a hospital?"
Tommy Douglas
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

danmartin wrote:

Alvis wrote:It also no coincidence that the closure of many of these small hospitals has resulted in Doctor shortages a few years down the road.

Well it is nice to see at least one person remembers Enderby and District Hospital. I am rather disgusted when I hear long time Enderby residents say "We used to have a hospital?"

Since the hospital was closed 10 years ago and was only recently demolished, I would wonder what you consider "long time" Enderby residents.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

gardengirl wrote:
danmartin wrote:

Alvis wrote:It also no coincidence that the closure of many of these small hospitals has resulted in Doctor shortages a few years down the road.

Since the hospital was closed 10 years ago and was only recently demolished, I would wonder what you consider "long time" Enderby residents.

Use your brain, what do you THINK a long term resident means?
Tommy Douglas
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

gardengirl wrote:
danmartin wrote:

Alvis wrote:
Use your brain, what do you THINK a long term resident means?

Well considering I was born in the Enderby Hospital, and my mother has been there for over 60 years...
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

gardengirl wrote:
Well considering I was born in the Enderby Hospital, and my mother has been there for over 60 years...

So what do you think then? :127:
I've had people like you who tell me they can't remember their hospital.
Tommy Douglas
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Alvis wrote:
gardengirl wrote:

So what do you think then? :127:
I've had people like you who tell me they can't remember their hospital.

I would say they have not been there very long. As I said, the hospital was closed, but the building was still there.
It was right on Hwy 97 so anyone who lives there should know about it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Alvis the former Enderby Hospital stood in this location:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Enderby,+B ... 64,,0,0.14
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

GordonH wrote:Alvis the former Enderby Hospital stood in this location:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Enderby,+B ... 64,,0,0.14

I've only been in the area since the mid 70's so I guess I am too new to have known about the Enderby Hospital. :127:

Sarcasm: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm
Tommy Douglas
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Not only have the small hospitals in Enderby and Armstrong closed, but the number of funded beds at the Vernon hospital has also been reduced. When you start adding the Enderby and Armstrong reductions to the Vernon reductions (now 148?), the shortfall is enormous.

The hospital in Armstrong was very valuable. It had an operating theatre and took some of the surgery pressure off of Vernon. But no more...... and the wait times get longer. And now we hear the Westside/Westbank/West Kelowna band is going to open a for-profit hospital. And the province just lets the slide continue.

"Your hip replacement surgery is scheduled for July of 2014, sir. But if you'd care to swipe a valid credit card, we can move your surgery up to next Tuesday."

Return to “Central Okanagan”