Highway 97: deer road kill

Frisk
Guru

Highway 97: deer road kill

Post by Frisk »

Last edited by Frisk on Nov 23rd, 2020, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigtdawg
Fledgling

Re: Highway 97: deer road kill

Post by bigtdawg »

Deer are stupid, and there's too many of them. Some are bound to end up on the roads. Don't like seeing dead deer? Then stop driving.
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
George Carlin
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

bigtdawg
Fledgling

Post by bigtdawg »

That woman is too hilarious...
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
George Carlin
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Last edited by Frisk on Nov 23rd, 2020, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigtdawg
Fledgling

Post by bigtdawg »

Well they should put up more deer crossings then...

I never said it was a good thing, there are hazards every time you drive. Deal with it, but don't be complaining on here about something nobody has any control over.
George Carlin
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

bigtdawg wrote:Well they should put up more deer crossings then...

I never said it was a good thing, there are hazards every time you drive. Deal with it, but don't be complaining on here about something nobody has any control over.

You do have control over it - you can slow down when driving at night so you don't blind them and then nail them. That's why MOTH puts up the deer signs - now even with extra attention-getting lights ... http://tranbc.ca/2012/05/18/highway-97- ... or-safety/

__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Quailize wrote:Saw 4 disfigured deer along Highway 97 when driving from Peachland to Pentiction yesterday morning. I've never seen this many road killed deer in my life. Is there any particular reason why so many are trying to cross the highway? Does the road need one of those animal bridges?

It's mid-november. They are rutting right now and as such are moving around a lot more than they usually do with something other than their own safety on their mind....
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
stephe03

Post by stephe03 »

Why not motion or heat detectors activating lights when deer are in the vicinity?
D_Man
Fledgling

Post by D_Man »

Personal attack removed.Trip
bigtdawg
Fledgling

Post by bigtdawg »

Why, thank you for that delightful tidbit of insight!

Next time your brain cells maybe could fire in way that produces a response which furthers the conversation, sir.
George Carlin
REDNECK 99

Post by REDNECK 99 »

I personally dont have time to get the statistics but Im sure ICBC would agree some deer accidents cant be avoided no matter how you drive and believe me coming around a corner to find some safe driver doing 50kms in a 80 km zone isnt a great situation but when your driving on the www hiway it is easy to be Canadas safest driver. Deer jump when they want to - driving 50 in an 80 km zone is illegal and dangerous. Unfortuntly the original question was an honest one and there are more deer killed in this season - maybe more fencing and overpasses are the answer but I found the some of the replys are as stupid as a deer jumping into an oncoming car . They dont make any sense but they will do it cause they can.
keeny
Fledgling

Post by keeny »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM1Pxlh_EfQ

Hate them... but i support wildlife bridges/fences.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Not laughing at that vid.It actually happened to us.Just outside of Balfour in the Kootenays a few years ago. Deer came out of the bush and ran right in to the front fender of the car. Nice dent , and the deer got up and yes, shook its head , and took off.Well yes I am laughing cause thats exactly how we felt.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Building 4 lane undivided highways is really hard on wildlife including deer. Other jurisdictions divide their highways so that an animal that makes it across 2 lanes isn't nearly as screwed when it realizes traffic is approaching from both directions.

ETA: I was just outside and saw something I've never seen in my yard... deer.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Central Okanagan”