Temporary Mexican workers at Timmies?

keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Temporary Mexican workers at Timmies?

Post by keith1612 »

goatboy wrote:[quote="keith1612"
maybe thats why all the people are flocking to Alberta, they arent being cheated they are being paid fairly.
i was in Alberta a few days ago and the cost of fast food shocked me, but its probably because they pay fair or better.

People aren't flocking to Alberta because their being paid fairly, it's the other way around. They have to pay big bucks to attract people to an unpleasant job in an unpleasant environment.

And as far as your second point, how do you think people feel about the cost of fast food that aren't working in the patch?[/quote]

from what i saw all rates were up.
yes they arent happy they are going there but its fully because of a fair wage for a days work.
keep watching as forclosures start here and grow,
dont get me wrong i love this area but too many are not making ends meet and its getting tougher.
look at BC it has the highest credit card debt per person in canada.
BC needs to promote more big money and less importing workers.
orchards and delivering pizza arent cutting it.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

keith1612 wrote:
yes they arent happy they are going there but its fully because of a fair wage for a days work.
dont get me wrong i love this area but too many are not making ends meet and its getting tougher.

Or, people could live within their means. Can't afford a big new house, don't buy it.

Workers are going to Alberta because that's where the jobs are right now. Supply and demand, it's how free enterprise works. Too many people move there (supply), wages will drop ( for unskilled labour) because there will be more workers than jobs. That's what happened here over the last four years. Was a time here KFC was paying $13/hr because they couldn't get help. Now there's no shortage so wages have dropped.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

goatboy wrote:
keith1612 wrote:

Or, people could live within their means. Can't afford a big new house, don't buy it.

Workers are going to Alberta because that's where the jobs are right now. Supply and demand, it's how free enterprise works. Too many people move there (supply), wages will drop ( for unskilled labour) because there will be more workers than jobs. That's what happened here over the last four years. Was a time here KFC was paying $13/hr because they couldn't get help. Now there's no shortage so wages have dropped.

Actually KFC always pays good, it's a union position I believe.
Well better than other fast food, $13 isn't really good.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

goatboy wrote:

People aren't flocking to Alberta because their being paid fairly, it's the other way around. They have to pay big bucks to attract people to an unpleasant job in an unpleasant environment.
And as far as your second point, how do you think people feel about the cost of fast food that aren't working in the patch?

If that is the case shouldn't we be paying HIGH wages for mining jobs in Northern BC as I'm sure they fall under unpleasant jobs in an unpleasant environment. Instead we are importing workers and apparently according to yesterdays Vancouver Sun paying them 10.00 to 17.00 less than the current going rate. Is that not exploiting them?

Would we not be better off to pay Canadians a living salary than pay them unemployment and worse yet welfare? I am sure that by the time it all gets through the bureaucracy the welfare is much more expensive than the salary. Add in the health costs etc. with that kind of life style and we would be much better off. Just MHO.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

:rate10: Smurf
Black Dogs Matter
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

The way I see this is that if base wages go up to what many consider to be a "living wage" so that everyone can afford to pay for things they want, then it is all negated because the price of "things" will also go up as the manufacturer of those "things" and the provider of those services will have increased costs and raise their prices to absorb them.

In other words, you still won't be able to afford them even though you are taking home more wages.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

We won't be able to afford things if foreigners are allowed to come here and take our jobs.
Black Dogs Matter
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

dogspoiler wrote:We won't be able to afford things if foreigners are allowed to come here and take our jobs.

Why, were you all crazy about working at Tim Hortons? May be you want to be an overnight cashier at 7-11? Janitor at your local school? Farm worker in Surrey?

Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I've taken a lot worse jobs when it was necessary.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I have a job right now CA. There are people that prefer to work and do not have jobs. I would like to see Canadian citizens get the jobs in Canada than see them go to foreigners. Outsourcing has cost us many jobs, now we are just going to import people to work and lose more jobs, You can continue to try and be amussing but this kind of thing is a serious problem.
Black Dogs Matter
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

grammafreddy wrote:

The way I see this is that if base wages go up to what many consider to be a "living wage" so that everyone can afford to pay for things they want, then it is all negated because the price of "things" will also go up as the manufacturer of those "things" and the provider of those services will have increased costs and raise their prices to absorb them.

In other words, you still won't be able to afford them even though you are taking home more wages

Wouldn't we still be better off if the money stayed in Canadian workers hands. I have worked on large construction sites where off shore workers lived 2 to a bed, ate in camp and sent every penny home. Please tell me how that helps Canada. In fact years ago in a camp in Thompson in Manitoba they were actually sleeping 3 to a bed. They got their 8 hours and the next guy jumped in while it was still warm. Almost nothing spent in Canada.

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

dogspoiler wrote:I have a job right now CA. There are people that prefer to work and do not have jobs. I would like to see Canadian citizens get the jobs in Canada than see them go to foreigners. Outsourcing has cost us many jobs, now we are just going to import people to work and lose more jobs, You can continue to try and be amussing but this kind of thing is a serious problem.

You might take into consideration that many of these jobs that get outsourced, like working in orchards, cleaning staff, and I guess in this case Timmies, are postions that Canadians don't want and consider themselves too good for. More self esteem in living off the system apparently.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

dogspoiler wrote:I have a job right now CA. There are people that prefer to work and do not have jobs. I would like to see Canadian citizens get the jobs in Canada than see them go to foreigners. Outsourcing has cost us many jobs, now we are just going to import people to work and lose more jobs, You can continue to try and be amussing but this kind of thing is a serious problem.

I'm simply putting your response about foreigners stealing our jobs into perspective of this thread - working at Tim Hortons in some god forsaken town up North. Chances are, there is no line up of white Canadians trying to get a job at one, otherwise why would the owner bring outside help? If white Canadians were knocking on doors of 7-11's and Tim Hortons' asking for employment, there wouldn't be Mexican workers.

You know some people who prefer to work but don't have jobs? Well, this Tim Hortons in Dawson Creek sounds like a place that will hire on the spot. Would they like to move there? No? Well, don't take offense that some Mexicans would.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Captain Awesome wrote:I'm simply putting your response about foreigners stealing our jobs into perspective of this thread - working at Tim Hortons in some god forsaken town up North. Chances are, there is no line up of white Canadians trying to get a job at one, otherwise why would the owner bring outside help? If white Canadians were knocking on doors of 7-11's and Tim Hortons' asking for employment, there wouldn't be Mexican workers.

You know some people who prefer to work but don't have jobs? Well, this Tim Hortons in Dawson Creek sounds like a place that will hire on the spot. Would they like to move there? No? Well, don't take offense that some Mexicans would.

Precisely and the exact same applies to orchards here in the Okanagan. If the home grown work force were willing, able, and reliable, with reasonable wage expectations, the farmers wouldn't be bringing in Mexicans.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

grammafreddy wrote:The way I see this is that if base wages go up to what many consider to be a "living wage" so that everyone can afford to pay for things they want, then it is all negated because the price of "things" will also go up as the manufacturer of those "things" and the provider of those services will have increased costs and raise their prices to absorb them.

In other words, you still won't be able to afford them even though you are taking home more wages.

This is exactly true. Under the current version of economics, we rely on cheap labour for our standard of living. That's the base of the issues we're always bickering about here.
Your bias suits you.

Return to “B.C.”