Christmas lights already ?

blueberry
Fledgling

Re: Christmas lights already ?

Post by blueberry »

We were inspired by the snow and put ours up already, but havent turned them on yet. One less thing on the list of things to do and was a good opp to clean the pine needles out of the eaves before all this rain!!
JJetson
Fledgling

Post by JJetson »

Original thread did not mention judgement Brenky - calm it down. It is about Lights being lit up - Trees up early - I like the comment about the snow inspiring people. I also like the comments that they make people feel good. Was a pretty generic opening comment and not meant to do anything more than share thoughts !!! Merry Christmas
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I do agree with Brenky on one thing, I always try to beat the below zero temps to install.

Last year I chucked all my old lights, had bags of the icicle lights but hated putting them up, just more wire to get tangled and have to imagine they're not that effecient because of the sheer number of bulbs. Switched to the LED lights and they seem as bright and a breeze to put up in comparison, No more breaking bulbs or trying to untangle knots at the top of a ladder. And because they are about 90% more efficient I've turned mine on already. Why not be the first on the block and annoy the neighbours?

http://www.bchydro.com/guides_tips/gree ... ights.html
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Hey, on some houses they never actually come down.

The LED's don't fade so why not.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

as long as they are straight, colors are correct, all are on, none are flashing. :) I like them on early, easier to see the yucks on the road.
And Sudsy, plastic pumpkins don't rot, but you are supposed to put them away after halloweenie
A few houses around here still have their Halloween decor and their Xmas lights out!
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

John500 wrote:focus on the real Christmas spirit of love for mankind, creating Christmas presenst myself with making my own Christmas cards and do some real good baking for my family and friends. Enjoy my family and have a wonderful Christmas dinner together....and humbug to the push to buy.

amen to that. (Figuratively-im not religious ;) )

Christmas for me is food, fellowship, lights/decs and the look of a less-than-perfect tree you cut down with your own hands (with a permit i might ad).
http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dos/dist_docs/CTP_preamble.htm

i still call it "Christmas" but its not about christ for me, rather more about fellowship behind the whole occasion. its also about thinking about things i truly don’t reflect on very much throughout the year. ...im not sure if its the special separation i have/had in my minds eye from childhood about Christmas being magical but its always that time of year where nostalgia and thought for others reigns supreme.

its just my wife and i but our place physically feels warmer with a tree and decorations up. the smells of all the different food and snacks plays a huge part - and it only gets better the further into the holiday you get ... after the house starts smelling of pine and leftovers :)

…honestly, thinking about it; spending $$ on gifts is all part of it but its definitely not prime as its about thought and value in giving what you choose to give rather than trying to meet that monetary top limit on what you think you could be spending.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Over the past few years I've grown tiresome of "what do you want for christmas?" from my parents back in Vancouver, and feeling obligated to find them something for christmas as well..

Two years ago I decided to make Nanaimo Bars for everyone, and it actually went over really well for almost everybody... some people didn't want that many calories in their reach, but that's not my problem :sillygrin:

Last year I didn't bother baking anything and almost everyone missed the Nanaimo bars! Nothing beats a home-made present!

So this year I'm going to make home-made Christmas Cards & Bake Nanaimo bars & Cookies (shortbread & butter tarts), should be the cheapest AND most meaningful Christmas yet! :)
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Ladder Top

Post by Ladder Top »

I like my lights up before it snows for safety reasons. If it cheers you up when you have the winter blues why not? Everyone is different. All year present savers to last minute shoppers. lol
bigtdawg
Fledgling

Post by bigtdawg »

Brenky wrote:If I was able to put up lights at my place, I'd do it now or within the next two weeks. Who wants to be out in the freezing cold, snowy weather hanging them up?

Furthermore, who cares? What's the point in judging those who choose to do things a little early, and how is making a thread here going to change what they've already done, or their feelings on the issue in the first place?

You're the one that posted in said useless thread, thereby illustrating the importance of being able to express yourself.
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
George Carlin
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I'd like a giant star ( I mean giant) on the roof. But I guess I'll just change the outdoor bulbs to green :)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

In case y'all fergot, them dar world is ending next month afore xmas so the lights haffv to go up earrly
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

GoStumpy wrote:Over the past few years I've grown tiresome of "what do you want for christmas?" from my parents back in Vancouver, and feeling obligated to find them something for christmas as well..

Two years ago I decided to make Nanaimo Bars for everyone, and it actually went over really well for almost everybody... some people didn't want that many calories in their reach, but that's not my problem :sillygrin:

Last year I didn't bother baking anything and almost everyone missed the Nanaimo bars! Nothing beats a home-made present!

So this year I'm going to make home-made Christmas Cards & Bake Nanaimo bars & Cookies (shortbread & butter tarts), should be the cheapest AND most meaningful Christmas yet! :)

I will send you my address & I like my butter tarts with raisens not chopped walnuts & i like my shortbread with a little piece of red or green cherry in the center it gives them that Christmassy feeling.!!!!!! :dyinglaughing:
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

GoStumpy wrote:Over the past few years I've grown tiresome of "what do you want for christmas?" from my parents back in Vancouver, and feeling obligated to find them something for christmas as well..

It really is the way to go. We're giving unique spicey jams and peach salsa we made this year in baskets with nice goat cheese and other assorted appy type stuff. Always appreciated with the amount of company people get between Christmas and New Year.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
givenrfarm
Board Meister

Post by givenrfarm »

I put up my lights. I even have two trees up. I have a huge blow-up Santa in the yard. I started putting them up a week ago. For very good reasons too.

1. I work 55-70 hrs a week over 6 days. I take advantage of what little time I have off to make my kids happy
2. My four year old has been seeing Christmas commercials, hearing songs at the mall, and seeing others with lights up and pestering me to make it Christmas season too.
3. I hate the cold. I don't even know why I moved here instead of somewhere warmer all winter. I am not going to wait until sub-zero temperatures and snow to battle latters and little screws holding on little clips.
4. CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS MAKE ME HAPPY!

I never have put them up prior to Remembrance day and it all comes down or at the very least, shut off January 2nd. I honestly quit caring about what grinches and scrooges say about decorating early or late, or tacky, or over-kill. It's my power bill, it's not hurting anyone, it doesn't shine in anyone's windows but my own. If my home's early Christmas lights make a person's life that much more miserable that they feel they need to complain, then that person is beyond finding joy in anything anymore. Heck, they are no doubt one of those meanies that turn off the lights and hide on halloween night.

Merry Christmas or whatever is politically correct these days.
Chrome, cowboy boots, and a license does not, a professional driver make!
Horse, cowboy hat, and pick-up truck, does not, a cowboy make!
Twenty grand, twenty miles, and two tattoos, does not, a biker make!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

givenrfarm wrote:4. CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS MAKE ME HAPPY!

Amen to that!

I've been out here in BC on my own for 4 winters now. The Christmas season is the one time where I can jazz up my place and have it feel a bit more like home. I've lived in a condo, 3000sq foot house, and a suite...and I've always managed to cram a real 7'-8' tree into whatever car I'm driving and decorate it to the nines.

Some think I'm crazy...but I don't do it for them.

(I know this thread was about Christmas lights, but it seems like we're judged all the same)

Return to “Central Okanagan”