Highway 97: deer road kill

Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Highway 97: deer road kill

Post by Always Sunny »

Glacier wrote:Building 4 lane undivided highways is really hard on wildlife including deer. Other jurisdictions divide their highways so that an animal that makes it across 2 lanes isn't nearly as screwed when it realizes traffic is approaching from both directions.

ETA: I was just outside and saw something I've never seen in my yard... deer.

I guess you've never seen deer come across from the shoulder and then panic when they're faced with a divided highway/median. Sure they can gain a lot of height...when they have momentum...otherwise they tend to dart back across the same lanes they just crossed or run up and down the median trying to get out.

When I lived in Ontario we'd drive down to Minnesota. Not at all uncommon to see 20+ dead deer along the highway in a 3 hour drive. Plenty of squished bear, moose, wolves, and rabbits too. No excessive speed limits and people sped far less frequently than they do out here (it's mainly 2 lane highways with the odd passing lane).
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Always Sunny wrote:I guess you've never seen deer come across from the shoulder and then panic when they're faced with a divided highway/median.

That's exactly what I mean. As the highway becomes more busy they put a concrete median down the middle making it even worse. However, what they should have done when going to 4 lanes was to have a grass median because it negates the need for installing a concrete median.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
stephe03

Post by stephe03 »

Preferable where space allows.
kay-c
Board Meister

Post by kay-c »

I guess none of us has seen anyone dodge a deer and kill a person in the on coming lane . Oh wait.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Last edited by Frisk on Nov 23rd, 2020, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

Something I've always wondered.... what do we do if we hit a deer? We leave it deer and you just keep going?

What if it's half dead? I don't want to think about it but brrr you leave it as is... poor little thing suffering?

Do we call the police? What's about ICBC... I guess you have to prove you've hit a deer to get your car fixed.

& Believe me, no matter how fast, how slow you go, when they decide they jump in front of you, they jump! Especially at dawn & dusk, and for sure if you,re going down a hill.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

French Castanut wrote:Something I've always wondered.... what do we do if we hit a deer? We leave it deer and you just keep going?

What if it's half dead? I don't want to think about it but brrr you leave it as is... poor little thing suffering?

Do we call the police? What's about ICBC... I guess you have to prove you've hit a deer to get your car fixed.

& Believe me, no matter how fast, how slow you go, when they decide they jump in front of you, they jump! Especially at dawn & dusk, and for sure if you,re going down a hill.

If you dont have a weak stomach you can slit its throat ( I couldnt but know of people doing that ) or run it over again. Or just leave it and they usually crawl somewhere and die. The police probably wouldnt come racing out to peachland to shoot a deer but if they are bored and have no other calls maybe.
Last edited by fall on Dec 13th, 2012, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

The police will come out and shoot it....a wounded animal on a highway poses a further threat to public safety.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

This thread is making me sad.... :146:

It needs a pick-me-up.... :smt111

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uOidKHwA2M
2bonline

Post by 2bonline »

Quailize wrote:Saw 4 disfigured deer along Highway 97 when driving from Peachland to Pentiction yesterday morning. I've never seen this many road killed deer in my life. Is there any particular reason why so many are trying to cross the highway? Does the road need one of those animal bridges?

We can only hope the disfigured deer were not looking for modelling or photo opportunities. Deer cross roads to get where they need to be; water is usually the lure although they will try to find their way back for bed and more food. I disfigured a deer big time once with my Freightliner!
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

We can only hope the disfigured deer were not looking for modelling or photo opportunities. Deer cross roads to get where they need to be; water is usually the lure although they will try to find their way back for bed and more food. I disfigured a deer big time once with my Freightliner![/quote]

Ill bet, did you have the big steel wildlife bumper shield thing and could you even be sure it was a deer after or did you notice it before hitting it!
2bonline

Post by 2bonline »

Truth be known, I saw it standing on the shoulder of the road with many other eyes glistening in the headlights. At that point I put the pedal to metal, hauled on the air horn and smiled. Penticton was only 30 minutes out. Never looked back.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

2bonline wrote:Truth be known, I saw it standing on the shoulder of the road with many other eyes glistening in the headlights. At that point I put the pedal to metal, hauled on the air horn and smiled. Penticton was only 30 minutes out. Never looked back.

I guess its the deer or panic, swerve and potentially crash or lock them up and slide a bit!

Return to “Central Okanagan”