You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by gordon_as »

Wasn't the original Kal Tire where Surplus Herby's is now ?
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

My memory is of a General Tire store in that location in the late 70s - early 80s, I'm pretty sure it wasn't Kal Tire. I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread by someone with a better memory than mine, possibly Fritz, but I don't have the patience to search for it. :sleepdeprived:
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Verminator wrote:My memory is of a General Tire store in that location in the late 70s - early 80s, I'm pretty sure it wasn't Kal Tire. I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread by someone with a better memory than mine, possibly Fritz, but I don't have the patience to search for it. :sleepdeprived:

Huh? Some one say my name? Kal Tire....I remember it being int he building that now houses OK SPring Brewery, back before all the expansions took place. well at least I rember the Good Year logo on that building.

I was reading this thread the other day and I can not for the life of me remember 1) when Kal Tire build the Kal Lk Rd store and where it was before hand.
Surplus Herbies was indeed a tire shop up until the early 80's and I'm talking possibly 1980 or 81! You can still see the spots in thefloor where the hydraulic lifts were (maybe still are?)
Prior to its current location, Surplus Herbies was in what now houses Club 21-21/Night Magic or whatever they are calling it today. I rember going in there with my Mommie at the old location and being blown away by how cool that place was: Everything you could imagine! And youknow what? It still smelss the same in there today as it did 30 years ago.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
vamythest1

Post by vamythest1 »

Tebos toddlers was a public skating group at the civic arena for kids up to the age of 7 I beleive
vamythest1

Post by vamythest1 »

The show at kal lake look out was done by CJIB and was called welcome traveller and wow im late answering lol
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Fritzthecat wrote:Huh? Some one say my name? Kal Tire....I remember it being int he building that now houses OK SPring Brewery, back before all the expansions took place. well at least I rember the Good Year logo on that building.

I was reading this thread the other day and I can not for the life of me remember 1) when Kal Tire build the Kal Lk Rd store and where it was before hand. Surplus Herbies was indeed a tire shop up until the early 80's and I'm talking possibly 1980 or 81! You can still see the spots in thefloor where the hydraulic lifts were (maybe still are?)
Prior to its current location, Surplus Herbies was in what now houses Club 21-21/Night Magic or whatever they are calling it today. I rember going in there with my Mommie at the old location and being blown away by how cool that place was: Everything you could imagine! And youknow what? It still smelss the same in there today as it did 30 years ago.

Maybe you should've taken a break from all the "fun" of the 90's you old hippy.

How can a guy who lectures me endlessly on Vernon history not remember whaere Kal Tire was? I too remember the Goodyear logo on the building became OK Spring. Do you also remember all the Mc&Mc tin clad buildings around that area too? Mc&Mc was a furniture retailer as I recall their last location being at Polson Mall in the spot that now has Shoppers.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I always found Patrick Nicol's open line show on CJIB to be entertaining. He would start the show by saying that the lines were open. After a few minutes, they were still open, with no callers. Then he'd suggest a few topics to discuss. Topics like bilingualism, the metric system, and gun control. Then the lines were full of cranky hillbillies in full rant. It was hilarious.
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

"Kal Tire" resided behind the "National Hotel" from 1952 to 1980.

In 1980, Kal Tire relocated to a new building on Kal Lake Road where they still reside today. Anderson Way is a second Vernon location. Corporate offices are located on 48th Avenue, soon to relocate near Kal Lake Road.

The 4-story warehouse what is now known as "Spring Brewery" was used by Kal Tire for tire storage. Before that, Kal Tire had another warehouse across the road from [now ] Spring Brewery which was a former Mac & Mac warehouse. It was along side the railroad tracks and workers unloaded the tires from the rail cars directly into the warehouse.

"Valley Tire" was the tire store that preceded "Surplus Herby's." Valley Tire was a Goodyear dealership, selling other tire brands too.

Info provided to me by a retired Kal Tire employee.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

CR250R40 wrote:"Kal Tire" resided behind the "National Hotel" from 1952 to 1980.

In 1980, Kal Tire relocated to a new building on Kal Lake Road where they still reside today. Anderson Way is a second Vernon location. Corporate offices are located on 48th Avenue, soon to relocate near Kal Lake Road.

The 4-story warehouse what is now known as "Spring Brewery" was used by Kal Tire for tire storage. Before that, Kal Tire had another warehouse across the road from [now ] Spring Brewery which was a former Mac & Mac warehouse. It was along side the railroad tracks and workers unloaded the tires from the rail cars directly into the warehouse.

"Valley Tire" was the tire store that preceded "Surplus Herby's." Valley Tire was a Goodyear dealership, selling other tire brands too.

Thank you so much. I remember Valley Tire but I do not remember Kal Tire being behind the National. I always remember it being a Taxi dispatch.

Once again thank you clearing up this peculiar subject. Now I can co rub Fritz's nose in it.

Wow 1980, 32-33 years on Kal Lake road? How time slips by......
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

CR250R40 wrote:"Kal Tire" resided behind the "National Hotel" from 1952 to 1980.

Alvis wrote:Thank you so much. I remember Valley Tire but I do not remember Kal Tire being behind the National. I always remember it being a Taxi dispatch.

Once again thank you clearing up this peculiar subject. Now I can co rub Fritz's nose in it.

Wow 1980, 32-33 years on Kal Lake road? How time slips by......

I need to clarify that Kal Tire was not literally behind The National. That was Valley Taxi. Kal Tire was one block south on the west side of 30th Street --the corner of 30th and 29th.
Last edited by CR250R40 on Dec 12th, 2012, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

CR250R40 wrote:
I need to clarify that Kal Tire was not literally behind The National. That was Valley Taxi. Kal Tire was one block south on the west side of 30th Street.

OK! I remember that now. Along with all the old tin Mc & Mc sheds! Wasn't Mc & Mc's last location in the Polson Mall in the space that now has Shoppers? It predated the bowling alley as I recall. It was a big store (in those days.)

Of course there was also Winnmans and McLeod's had a furniture/appliance section in their basement. Geez all these stores sold furniture: Robinsons, Woolworths, Eatons, K-Mart even The Bay! My our Bay in Vernon is a real embarrassment these days. In all honesty the bargain basement at The Bay at Oakridge Mall in Vancouver is nicer.
Tommy Douglas
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Thank you, CR and Alvin. Remembering Kal Tire a little south of Valley Taxi is what I recall too. Walter Joe and his family were wonderful folks, and longtime family friends.

Vernon was a good place to buy furniture back then with all the selection at many places. What our family members purchased was good quality, and lasted a long, long time. I have not been in the Bay for several years now, so I don't know what they are selling or how they are doing. They used to sell nice things and had good sales. What has changed?

A few years ago my mum was entering the Bay by their side door, and tripped over a walkout mat with a curled corner. She fell hard and broke her hip. Her life was drastically altered with terrible mobility problems that still continue. She was not a spring chicken when she caught her foot in that rug corner and went *bleep* over tea kettle. Hard to believe The Bay never removed that dangerous rug, so I don't shop there when visiting Vernon. I sincerely hope nobody else has, or will, trip over the curled corner of that mat. I won't support a business who can't be bothered replacing a rug that caused a terrible accident to one of their customers.

I wonder how long the Bay will last when Target opens at the other end of the Mall?
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

I'm trying to remember the location of McLeods in the early 1970's. I am thinking across from the present location of Surplus Herbie's? I remember shopping there, and a friend from school, Harry Stann, worked there.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

superbee wrote:I'm trying to remember the location of McLeods in the early 1970's. I am thinking across from the present location of Surplus Herbie's? I remember shopping there, and a friend from school, Harry Stann, worked there.

I believe you are correct....... currently a Valley First Credit Union.

As a McLeod's it had 2 floors street level & basement.

Eaton's was where Bookland & Natures Fare is with 3 floors.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Thanks, GordonH, I was pretty sure where that credit union is now, was where Macleods was back then. I remember Eaton's, we shopped there all the time, especially $1.49 day. I remember before Eatons, the site was a big grassy area. Hard to believe that, driving by now.

Return to “North Okanagan”