Is this allowed?

Home of the traffic rant.
peachlandnotary

Is this allowed?

Post by peachlandnotary »

I see many people turning left onto a one-way street when they have a red light. Admittedly, it's been awhile since I was in driving school but this just seems wrong to me. Is this a legal maneuver?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: Is this allowed???

Post by flamingfingers »

It is perfectly legal to make a left hand turn onto a one-way street while facing a red light.
Chill
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

One way to one way - legal
Two way to one way - yes legal and I wish more people would know that
One way to two way - not legal
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Here in BC yes, but I think other provinces are different (i.e. Alberta and Nova Scotia).

Two way to one way - yes legal
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Fancy wrote:Here in BC yes, but I think other provinces are different (i.e. Alberta and Nova Scotia).
!

Traffic rules should be the same everywhere and not different from Province to Province!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That's why you need to apply for a drivers licence when you move from province to province.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Fancy wrote:That's why you need to apply for a drivers licence when you move from province to province.

If they're going to charge you for a new license when moving to a new province, they should at least give you a list of the different driving laws in that province. There are so few that they should have made them the same across the county a long time ago anyway. You can grow up in Alberta where a flashing green light means the opposing traffic is facing a red light, then move here, get your BC license, and never be told that a flashing green here means it's a pedestrian controlled crosswalk, which of course can create havoc for Albertans turning left here at one (on top of their already horrendous driving.) You can't expect anyone to go through the whole driving manual to see if there's a few changes, too bad ICBC and the like can't clue into such a simple concept.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I was told to get the ICBC handbook and read it before renewing my licence - I'm glad I did.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Fancy wrote:That's why you need to apply for a drivers licence when you move from province to province.

Applying for a new license doesn't immediately import all of the different rules-of-the-road into your head.

That being said it doesn't exactly take a lot of time to educate yourself on these things.

A flashing green light in Ontario also represents an advanced left turn for those facing the light. But come to one intersection where the oncoming traffic appears to be "blowing through their red" and you realize pretty quickly things are different around here.

Not much you can do about the people who don't know the left-turn-onto-a-one-way-street rule around what. If they don't know, honking won't do anything but confuse 'em.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That's why on the ICBC website there's an indication of refreshing yourself on the laws here. You can do it online or go to the office and pick up a small booklet complete with pictures.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Fancy wrote:That's why on the ICBC website there's an indication of refreshing yourself on the laws here. You can do it online or go to the office and pick up a small booklet complete with pictures.

There aren't too many people who refresh themselves on the laws by having to go through all of them when they move here even though it's a good idea. Seeing as there are only a handful of different driving laws here, a little piece of paper mentioning the different laws here would be much more effective.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I do agree that makes more sense. People aren't going to ask when getting the licences renewed if there are any changes (going from province to province). You'd think that would be such a simple thing to do.
maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

How about just adding a sign at those intersections that says: "Left turn on red is allowed"?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Always Sunny wrote:A flashing green light in Ontario also represents an advanced left turn for those facing the light. But come to one intersection where the oncoming traffic appears to be "blowing through their red" and you realize pretty quickly things are different around here.

My brother-in-law from the States was sure confused when he first came across a flashing green light when driving up to visit us. He started to slow to stop, but the honking behind him made him realize that flashing green = steady green = go.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

peachlandnotary wrote:I see many people turning left onto a one-way street when they have a red light. Admittedly, it's been awhile since I was in driving school but this just seems wrong to me. Is this a legal maneuver?

Depends which way the one-way is and if you'll be going in to oncoming traffic. Ha! :)

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”