How little did being a Canadian mean to Mark Carney?

steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

How little did being a Canadian mean to Mark Carney?

Post by steelrules »

I'm disgusted by Mark Carney, this shows his loyalties lay with the Vampire Squid Goldman Sachs and not with Canada.
Sad that our government is as corrupted by the global banks as in the US.

Mr. Carney have fun in the financial cesspool that is London, you deserve each other.

http://www.ibtimes.com/canadian-mark-ca ... nor-900254

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... le5662554/
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: How little did beinng a Canadian mean to Mark Carney?

Post by Captain Awesome »

Did he do something un-Canadian?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Or one could look at it another way (as do I) and be pleased that he's respected so much that the Brits would want him to be the Governor of the Bank of England. It also speaks to the enviable financial position in which Canada finds itself vis-a-vis other nations. As far as I'm concerned he was under no obligation to remain as Governor of the Bank of Canada so I'm happy for Mark Carney and wish him well in his new position.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Captain Awesome wrote:Did he do something un-Canadian?

Obviously you don't or cant read.
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

steelrules wrote:Obviously you don't or cant read.

Oh, I've read it and was following the news for most of the day.

Is applying for British citizenship un-Canadian? Or taking a job abroad?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

When did the memo come out that working for a non-Canadian company means you are a traitor?
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Moya Greene, Canada Posts last CEO became the new CEO of the Royal Mail in the UK a couple of years ago. They must pay more over there. More likely he jumped ship before interest rates start to rise and the turmoil starts. We can thank Harper and company since most of the household debt has come since he became boss.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Like I said before he deserves that financial cesspool called London, and If to some on this forum giving up your Canadian citizenship to become a British citizen isn't Un-Canadian I for one don't know what is.

Good riddance Mark, in a time when every intelligent central banker around the world is buying gold you sold off "all" of Canada's
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Doesn't say anything about giving up Canadian citizenship.

You can have both.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

I doubt it's about the pay. If Carney were in it for the money alone, he would work in the private sector and add a zero behind his salary easy. The BoE is a big as it gets for Central Banking, not an opportunity to be passed up lightly.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Dual citizenship is a joke, you swear allegiance to one country or another but not both.
We all know that his true allegiance lies with GS.

And I find it hilarious that Castanet doesn't even touch the story when it's in the news all over the world.
Controlled media.
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

[url]Image[/url]
According to Garth......

In 2005 Stephen Harper won an election, in part, because he promised never to goose the taxes on high-paying, popular income trusts. On Halloween night the next year he did just that. Poor F was pushed in front of the TV cameras and fed live to the voracious media. He claimed the feds would lose “billions” in taxes if trusts weren’t spanked, but never proved it.

Behind the scenes was a smart but stealthy civil servant at the Department of Finance who was responsible for this shocking reversal – a dude named Mark Carney. Within months the Conservative government rewarded him with an appointment to head the Bank of Canada, promoting the tender 42-year-old over the heir apparent at the Bank, Paul Jenkins. It soon became clear on Parliament Hill that Carney was a close confidant of F’s, and the guy was untouchable.

At the meeting of the Parliamentary Finance Committee called to confirm his appointment, I started asking weasel questions about the trust affair, before seeing if Carney approved of 40-year mortgages with zero downpayments, and worried about the consequences. The Conservatives on the body hooted me down while the chairman (now the junior finance minister) ruled me out of order. Later they all beat the crap out of me in the parking lot.

But this is now behind us. The youngest-ever central bank czar in the history of the western world is preparing the next bullet point on his CV – governor of the Bank of England. He’s the first non-Brit in the 318-year history of the bank, and will soon have more power over the economy there than the government. The UK is the sixth biggest economy in the world, and we’re tenth. Britain matters bigtime to the fate of Europe, and the global GDP. We, on the other hand, just hope the NHL settles soon and are trying to remember where we put the sled keys.

Of course there’s some curiosity across the pond as to what this Carney guy might do for the $993,000 salary he’ll be collecting. Here’s Adrian:

I enjoy your blog, and the parallels between the Canadian housing bubble and the one we’ve been, ah, enjoying, for the past few years.

I’m in England and have just found that your Mr Carney is taking over next year as Governor of the Bank of England – an organisation that has worked hard to protect the interests of home-owners over here by keeping interest rates too low so that prices stay high.

Is his appointment likely to improve matters here, do you think, or to allow the bubble to continue?

Well, Adrian, Carney’s clever and ambitious. He apprenticed at Goldman’s, squirmed his way to the top of Finance in Ottawa, realized early that F was weak and malleable, and played his cards adroitly. He scored the London gig based on his stirling rep as the central banker that kept Canada from imploding in the GFC. Without a doubt, he provided a stable hand on the tiller while the elected politicians waffled and obfuscated. But he also let us down.

A year before economies imploded in a real estate-induced frenzy, ripping into financial markets and bringing capitalism to the brink, I asked Carney – soon to become bank governor – if he was worried about the housing market. He said no. His subsequent actions proved that. In fact the guy could be called the architect of the situation we have today, when the average Toronto family can’t afford the average home, Vancouver has been destroyed by land speculation and we’re on the verge of a nasty correction.

Mr. Carney said nothing when his pal F pushed through forty-year amortizations and allowed zero down payment loans to be covered by CMHC. It was that move, surprisingly shoehorned into the 2006 budget, which spread the fuel for an explosion of property prices. All it took to ignite was the spark of emergency interest rates, which Carney himself provided two years later.

The result you know. By the Spring of 2012 the average SFH in Vancouver cost $1.2 million, Toronto was a bidding-war battleground and urban Canadian real estate values had climbed 128% from pre-Carney days. So what did the Governor do? Yes, he embarked a cross-country road trip to warn people they were borrowing too much. This was when five-year mortgages dropped to 2.99%, chartered banks were giving savingless couples down payments – plus 100% financing – and CMHC’s automated approval process was rubberstamping borrowings in seven seconds.

Can you say hypocrite?

Adrian, you get the guy at a moment when – thanks to Mr. Carney and his sawed-off offspring – Canadian house prices are 49% higher than those in the States (with ten times the economic output) and our household debt has hit a record level higher than that which preceded the US housing crash. Our savings rate has cratered during this period. One third of retirees will have a mortgage (first time ever), and four in ten families say they have trouble making monthly payments. Worse, a whole generation of people now in their thirties and forties are pretty much screwed unless real estate collapses, screwing their parents.

But, dammit, the macros look good.

The global meme is that Canada escaped the worst of the recession, while Britain grinds away with 8% unemployment and a budget deficit that next year could exceed that of Greece. The reality’s something else. There is social distress in Canada in the wake of our leaders’ decisions.

“Mark Carney is a quality governor,” the Chancellor of the Exchequer told the British House of Commons. “He is quite simply the best, most experienced and most qualified person in the world to be the next Governor of the Bank of England.”

Can we also interest you in an elfin deity?
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

steelrules wrote:And I find it hilarious that Castanet doesn't even touch the story when it's in the news all over the world.
Controlled media.

If it's news all over the world how can not having a story on Castanet be construed as an example of controlling the media? You can't have it both ways.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

He'll be able to hang out with Gordo.
Black Dogs Matter
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: How little did being a Canadian mean to Mark Carney?

Post by Rwede »

There's far less challenge for Carney managing the best economy in the G20 compared to putting his talents to work helping in Europe. Thanks to our current government's policies, Canada is in an enviable position in the world, and Carney can help out where he's more needed with one of our best allies. Good for him.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Canada”