Pelmewash Parkway

marvin gardens
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Pelmewash Parkway

Post by marvin gardens »

Wow this new name was chosen on the basis of an online survey...Hardly objective...And the recommendations of a former History prof. Well, I suppose that says it all.
Sounds similar to how the politicions decided Winfield should become Lake Country which describes a region not a community.
Oh, Almost forgot.. didn't .the same mental flatulence prevail in renaming Westbank West Kelowna.
You didn't ask but to me they will always be the Queen Charlotte Islands, not Haida Gwai..
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Chances are, in my lifetime, I will never call it anything
other than the old road, unless with sarcastic overtones!
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
The Equalizer

Post by The Equalizer »

What's really stupid ( besides that terrible name ) was that the online voting could be manipulated and I truly believe it WAS.

If you voted and then cleared your cookies ...the system didn't realize you were ever there and you were free to go vote again and again and again. I know because I tried it to see if the DLC was really that imcompetent. They were.

Some nimwit pushed that name through.

:purefury:
solrac

Post by solrac »

The Equalizer wrote:What's really stupid ( besides that terrible name ) was that the online voting could be manipulated and I truly believe it WAS.

If you voted and then cleared your cookies ...the system didn't realize you were ever there and you were free to go vote again and again and again. I know because I tried it to see if the DLC was really that imcompetent. They were.

Some nimwit pushed that name through.

:purefury:

According to the news release] (http://www.okanaganway.ca/2012/11/counc ... %E2%80%9D/), "372 votes" with 41% (152) for Pelmewash. A useless statistic if in fact it was possible to vote twice or three times or one hundred. It would be interesting to know how many different IPs were represented. Wouldn't be surprised if 100 of the 152 came from the same computer.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Hmmmmmmmmm............. do over, do over, do over, :D
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Thats got to be close to the worse name for a street anywhere in the OK . Are there any funnier names ?
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I sure can't think of any.

In fact the more I see it, the more I can't help but think, that this was the result of some misguided politician(s) lame attempt to suck up to those of native ancestry, whether they wanted it or not.

More than anything I'm curious as to whether the name actually means anything to Okanagan natives, because when I see the term anglicized it can mean just about anything?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Lake Country Drive would have rolled off the tongue nicely .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
solrac

Post by solrac »

http://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/180537751.html

""A lot of our place names got truncated when Europeans came and they couldn't pronounce them properly," said Ruby Alexis, a cultural researcher for the Okanagan Indian Band. "That makes it hard to translate some of our place names."

In her work to find and document place names that may have been lost over the years, Alexis has come across the word Pelmewash as the original name for Wood Lake on early maps produced by the Hudson's Bay Company.

But she has yet to confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that the name is actually part of the Nsylixcn language spoken by the Okanagan Indians that first lived in the area and plans to speak with elders and others who have expertise in the area to further research the name.

"I like it when we find old names," she said. "I'm fairly comfortable that (Pelmewash) is one of ours. It would be nice to have a translation. We can't always translate the names but I will try to."

Alexis says the end of the name Pelmewash (ewash) means a narrowing and could refer to the narrowing of Wood Lake where it joins Kalamalka Lake near Oyama.

Okanagan Indian Band chief Byron Lewis was thankful that the district had chosen to honour his band's history with the new name, even though he had never heard of it before.

"I think it's a nice gesture," said Lewis. "One of the things we'd like to do is do some research and talk to our elders about the name and make sure it's correct. But it's a nice gesture and something we appreciate."
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Can hardly pronounce it so I will call it the old hiway. Am sure many will do same.
SmileyEyes

Post by SmileyEyes »

Another DLC blunder...stupidest name ever!!! :spinball:
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

xjeepguy wrote:Thats got to be close to the worse name for a street anywhere in the OK . Are there any funnier names ?

Ragged *bleep* Lane (Yellowknife)...
tarasbulba
Fledgling

Post by tarasbulba »

Come by Chance, newfoundland hahahahahah
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

It could be worse people. The Brits could have named it... :127:

Funny British street names:

• Bitchams Mead
• Bonar Place
• Bugger End
• Bummers Hill
• Bulcock Street
• Butt Lane
• Butts Court
• Butts Street
• Cackle Street
• Cock Lane
• Cockshot Road
• Cracknuts Lane
• Crapple Lane
• Crazy Lane
• Crotch Crescent
• Dicky Lane
• Droop Street
• Dumber Lane
• Dyke Close
• Faggots Close
• Fanny Street
• Gay Street
• Gropers Lane
• Hoare Road
• Holebottom
• Itchin Close
• Knob Lane
• Leg of Mutton Road
• Loonies Court
• Manlove Street
• No Name Street
• Nutter Lane
• Nutter Street
• Pant-y-Pistyll
• Petty France
• Piddle Lane
• Rotten Row
• Shagg Hill
• Shaggs Meadow
• Slag Lane
• Smellies Lane
• Sodom Lane
• Squeeze Guts Alley
• The Knob
• The Shutt
• Tomtits Lane
• Tongue Lane
• Trash Lane
• Warning Tongue Lane
• Weevil Lane
• Whip-ma-whop-ma-gate
• Willey Street

http://www.thecareerbreaksite.com/funny-british-street-names
Deeoars
Fledgling

Post by Deeoars »

Some of those are just as bad maybe even worse but some are a lot better.I think we could pick one out of that list that we could live with.

Return to “Central Okanagan”