Hockeyville cash up in lights

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Hockeyville cash up in lights

Post by oneh2obabe »

Wayne Moore - Story: 83864
Nov 28, 2012 / 6:40 pm

Hockeyville could have its name in lights - sort of.

The $25,000 West Kelowna received for finishing second in last year's Hockeyville competition could be used to provide electronic signage at Highway 97 and Bartley Road.

District staff and the Hockeyville committee met recently to discuss ways to utilize the winnings.

Recommendations were provided to council this week.

The preference of the committee was the utilize the funds for something that would provide a lasting legacy and benefit the broader community.

The first choice of three options was installation of an electronic sign providing opportunities for community messaging and a landmark for the Mount Boucherie complex.

The sign, estimated to cost $125,000, could provide the opportunity to generate additional revenue for the District through advertising sales.

Staff will bring forward further information during the 2013 Capital Budget deliberations indicating benefits, impacts and the next steps required to complete the project.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#83864
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Hockeyville cash up in lights

Post by prairieflower »

What a crock.... Was this money not to be used for the arena itself?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

That's what I thought but appears we were wrong.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

oneh2obabe wrote:That's what I thought but appears we were wrong.

Alright! More distractions for the already frazzled Kelowna drivers!!!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Cool - 25,000 steps forward, 100,000 steps back.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

As if there are not enough billboards trashing the area from the Bridge to Gorman's Mill already. Really tacky idea. All about the money from advertising again, but who cares?

I agree all that voted for Hockeyville did so with the idea that it was going to improve the arena. Wasn't it mentioned that it would help to upgrade washroom facilities when the public supported the bid for Hockeyville?

Who are these "tin gods" and why do they get to move and change everything on "their whim"?
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

watchkat wrote:Who are these "tin gods" and why do they get to move and change everything on "their whim"?

We voted in the "tin gods". Don't like the way they work? Then run for council next election!!!!
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

watchkat wrote:Wasn't it mentioned that it would help to upgrade washroom facilities when the public supported the bid for Hockeyville?

Yeah, the washrooms at the old Jim Lind arena look pretty sad and run-down lately...
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

sulchie wrote:We voted in the "tin gods". Don't like the way they work? Then run for council next election!!!!

Didn't vote them in.......we have enough problems further down the valley LOL

Many in the valley voted to support Hockeyville for West Kelowna as it was a good cause for the area that we felt was worth the votes.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

It seems they should be spending this money on something more hockey related, putting up a billboard to advertise community events is ok, but I think the internet is a much better place for that, because you can see it whenever you want, not just when you drive past.
hot4words

Post by hot4words »

jim lind arena could put 25,000 to good use...west kelowna on the other hand will be responsible for the remaining 100,000$$$ awsome deal...lol....not
Tradesman
Fledgling

Post by Tradesman »

The money should be used for arena upgrades and at the same time to honor and commemorate the spirit and efforts of the community during Hockeyville.

Jim Lind Arena is in serious need of upgrades with the upgrades, something like a new showcase display would be a great place to view Hockeyville memories.

The city can do the sign without the hockeyville money IMO.

and beyond all that another new arena should not be far off.
:)
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I probably wouldn't have wasted my time with the voting process if I had known that the winnings would not be used to actually improve the arena facilities ..especially if we had been told it would fund yet another crappy sign along the highway
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

^^^ Ditto that^^^

and I don''t even like sports but I tried to help improve the arena because locals said it needed it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

Amen to that Janalta.....

Well my letter to the district went out today. Very unhappy that the money will be used for yet another daum sign along our highway.

Return to “Central Okanagan”