Bloomfeild vs Litke for Mayor

twobits
Guru

Bloomfeild vs Litke for Mayor

Post by twobits »

Thank god Julius threw his hat into the ring should an election for Mayor be required. It would be a sad day for Penticton if Litke got the big chair. I appreciate his moderating influence on council but certainly don't want him leading the show.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Bloomfeild vs Litke for Mayor

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:Thank god Julius threw his hat into the ring should an election for Mayor be required. It would be a sad day for Penticton if Litke got the big chair. I appreciate his moderating influence on council but certainly don't want him leading the show.

I have to agree with you, Twobits; 100%. Litke has a record of fence sitting almost as bad as *&^%$. Julius Bloomfield would bring new hope and vitality to this council. Now, as long as we don't get a third person tossing their hat in the ring, the vote shouldn't be split. Wonder where ol Bennie the Wolfman is these days....lol?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

XT225 wrote: as long as we don't get a third person tossing their hat in the ring, the vote shouldn't be split.

XT ... unfortunately I do believe you will see more than one other person tossing their hat in the ring. Now I know you are hyping it up for DA provincially, but you know ... stranger things have happend and maybe just maybe DA might not get in. Then we'll see an interesting city election and what will happen over at the RDOS. Just saying ... politics is a funny business.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

To Southy: Oh dang...I forgot about Vic. Oh well, he didnt have much effect on the vote last time around. Im back on the fence (one of the undecided) Southy re DA, as there is more talk around that perhaps we should just suck it up and put up with his record for the next couple years, rather than give him what he wants and a fat MLA's pension one day. Especially now that if he stays as mayor he is facing a challenge for his other hat at the RDOS now (Stu Wells wants the chairs job). Remember if DA doesnt become MLA, he WILL be back in the mayors chair; there would be no bi-election. Litke and Bloomfield (and others) will have to wait til May to even think of campaigning. I don't know how that works either - if Litke runs for mayor does he have to step down as councillor beforehand? If he loses for mayor does he get back on as councillor? Not sure if he can take a LOA or not. Twobits? Where are ya man...you'll know the answer.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

So what's up with David Perry going after Litke in the paper today. I thought they were on the same page?? Do you think perhaps Perry is considering a comeback?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:So what's up with David Perry going after Litke in the paper today. I thought they were on the same page?? Do you think perhaps Perry is considering a comeback?

That one caught me by surprise as well. I think it was obvious by the letter that Dave never forgot his fellow workers. I give him credit; always liked the fellow; he made a good mayor. Being a realtor now not sure what his intentions are. I would have to say that he was one of the most personable mayors in our history and did a good job of running the city. Right up there with Dorothy Whittaker and Beth Campbell.
Assumed

Post by Assumed »

[quote="XT225"] if Litke runs for mayor does he have to step down as councillor beforehand? If he loses for mayor does he get back on as councillor?

My understanding is:
He would have to resign his council seat if he ran for mayor. If he loses he does not go back to council. During the same time as the mayors election we would elct a councillor to replace Litke. It is set up this way to save the muni's money instead of two by-elections.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

southy wrote:So what's up with David Perry going after Litke in the paper today. I thought they were on the same page?? Do you think perhaps Perry is considering a comeback?

Certainly sounds like Perry is being critical of Litke for not towing the NDP party lines. Fair enough ... if he was elected based on him providing a balance on Council ... he deserves to be called out. Personally, I think that there needed to be a 'belt tightening' at City Hall and do not agree with Perry's insinuation otherwise ... however, if I were a member of the NDP Party ... I would probably be very disappointed in Litke's performance on Council.
Yes, I do think that Perry might be considering a comeback .... either that, or he is on team Bloomfield.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Rather surprising poll question result in the Herald. If the poll has any credibility, it will be a landslide for Litke. Not good news.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

twobits wrote:Rather surprising poll question result in the Herald. If the poll has any credibility, it will be a landslide for Litke. Not good news.

Where did you see that twobits?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

The poll questions on the editorial page, bottom left. Yesterday or day before

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Hmm, I wonder about the sample size/make-up too, but that is a little disturbing to me as well if that is a true representation. The content of Mr. Perry's letter on Wednesday brings up some valid points, it paints Mr. Litke as a political weathervane, willing to bend with the wind as long as it gets him a vote. Honestly, I know little of the man, as opposed to Mr. Bloomfiled who strikes a pose more in line with personal integrity.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

-fluffy- wrote:Hmm, I wonder about the sample size/make-up too, but that is a little disturbing to me as well if that is a true representation. The content of Mr. Perry's letter on Wednesday brings up some valid points, it paints Mr. Litke as a political weathervane, willing to bend with the wind as long as it gets him a vote. Honestly, I know little of the man, as opposed to Mr. Bloomfiled who strikes a pose more in line with personal integrity.

That is what I scratch my head about too. I can't believe voters can't see thru him as a complete opportunist. The most glaring examples of political opportunism were the cull at city hall and the CUPE negotiations. His absolute silence on CUPE was stunning and his sudden conversion to fiscal conservative laughable.
In the next breath he wants to pump more money into bike lanes that few use and is ok with the transit subsidy that a handful of people a day use. He also wants "densification" so that the only option for housing for families is a tall building built of of straw bales next to public transit while he raised his kids on a big lot on Wiltses flats and drove his car to work every day.

XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

One of the local rags said today that Katie Robinson would also likely throw her hat in the ring, should Asthon win the MLA seat. Could prove interesting but sure hope that its not a split again and Litke would get in as mayor. I dont have much use for his record at all. Pearce was rather unkind in his opinions today also in the paper (though he is entitled to them). For a lawyer, he sure doesn't write very well. Sure hope that HE doesn't decide to run again - yikes! :hailjo:

Return to “Central Okanagan”