Arrests in Vernon of the Greeks

Should the convicted have to pay resistuition to the community?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 67

Winston_Smith
Fledgling

Re: Arrests in Vernon of the Greeks

Post by Winston_Smith »

Two Greek gang members get life
A judge has pronounced mandatory life sentences for what he calls the "brutal and sadistic" torture deaths of two men by two enforcers for the Greeks drug gang, based in the Vernon, area.

Dale Sipes and Leslie Podolski were convicted on Monday in the first-degree murders of David Marniuk in July 2004 and Ronald Thom in May 2005.

Court heard Marniuk was a low-level drug dealer who used drugs he didn't pay for, and so was duct-taped to a chair and assaulted with a hammer and blow torch before the killers cremated his body as punishment.

Thom was mistakenly suspected of being a police informant, so the men lured him into a street and shot him dead in cold-blood.

BC Supreme Court Judge Bill Smart says Thom's death was a challenge to police, which they took up with an expansive investigation that effectively shut down the Greeks' operations.

Sipes' defense lawyer says he will appeal his client's convictions, while three other men convicted in the two slayings and that of a third man had their sentencing adjourned to a later date.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-83902-2-.htm#83902
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

This seems the perfect case for us to recognize and express our appreciation for the outstanding work that was done by the RCMP in conducting their investigaton into the activities of these social misfits who have committed outrageous crimes in our communities. From what I have been able to find out, this investigation and trial was one of the most complex ever completed in B.C. Not only did the police do a remarkable job, but so did the prosecutors from the Attorney General's department. These people who have now been convicted were nothing short of a deadly scourge on our communities in BC with tentacles reaching out across the country. Many thanks to the prosecutors and the investigators for a job well done.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

According to today's MorningStar, a dirtbag lawyer involved with the Greeks just pled guilty to 'participating in the activities of a criminal organization'. I hope his family's proud of him, I certainly know how his Dad would've felt. At the very least this guy deserves to be dis-barred for life.
Last edited by Verminator on Dec 21st, 2012, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Treblehook wrote:This seems the perfect case for us to recognize and express our appreciation for the outstanding work that was done by the RCMP in conducting their investigaton into the activities of these social misfits who have committed outrageous crimes in our communities. From what I have been able to find out, this investigation and trial was one of the most complex ever completed in B.C. Not only did the police do a remarkable job, but so did the prosecutors from the Attorney General's department. These people who have now been convicted were nothing short of a deadly scourge on our communities in BC with tentacles reaching out across the country. Many thanks to the prosecutors and the investigators for a job well done.

You know I was about to agree with you and i do in this case but when i read posts in the "When the Gestapo comes knocking...." by violatedinvernon I sadly shake my head that we also employ some real real stupid people as so called police officers in this town of vernon
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

I am not so sure that the circumstances and the posts contained in the thread mentioned by ticat900 should be solid enough grounds to form your opinion about the RCMP in Vernon. Maybe there is a hole or two in that bucket....
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Verminator wrote:According to today's MorningStar, a dirtbag lawyer involved with the Greeks just pled guilty to 'participating in the activities of a criminal organization'. I hope his family's proud of him, I certainly know how his Dad would've felt. At the very least this guy deserves to be dis-barred for life.

If you only new how many lawyers have there hands dirty, you'd puke!!!

This is one of many....
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Treblehook wrote:I am not so sure that the circumstances and the posts contained in the thread mentioned by ticat900 should be solid enough grounds to form your opinion about the RCMP in Vernon. Maybe there is a hole or two in that bucket....

Ok please feel free to fill the holes and give us a run down on the truth then?
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

ticat900. Really! If you can't see some [to date] unexplained inconsistencies in the story provided by the people complaining about the RCMP searching the house [When the Gestapo Come Knocking] then I don't think any further elaboration on my part would be of much assistance. Like Ken7 said, the police don't get search warrants for pot based entirely and only upon the assertion by an officer that he smelled pot in the house. The OP didn't offer anything about what was contained in the Information to Obtain a Search Warrant [when there is no question that something else must have been provided the issuing justice]. Does the absence of the other grounds provided the justice not seem a little self serving to you? My point is, there is just enough missing here to make one question the veracity of the complaint. I am not seeking an arguement on this... I was just expressing an opinion.. sort of like you were doing.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Treblehook wrote:ticat900. Really! If you can't see some [to date] unexplained inconsistencies in the story provided by the people complaining about the RCMP searching the house [When the Gestapo Come Knocking] then I don't think any further elaboration on my part would be of much assistance. Like Ken7 said, the police don't get search warrants for pot based entirely and only upon the assertion by an officer that he smelled pot in the house. The OP didn't offer anything about what was contained in the Information to Obtain a Search Warrant [when there is no question that something else must have been provided the issuing justice]. Does the absence of the other grounds provided the justice not seem a little self serving to you? My point is, there is just enough missing here to make one question the veracity of the complaint. I am not seeking an arguement on this... I was just expressing an opinion.. sort of like you were doing.

I think I have to go back to my post where i said I wish the OP would come on here and explain things a little better
I still have to say from the sounds of things this cop or Cops were *bleep* in the sence of them making this women and her kids stand out in the cold no matter what.OBVIOUSLY this was not a serious serious deal at all
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

ticat900. You could be right my friend!! The grounds for the search are probably not being totally reflected by the OP, but the reason for making the woman and children stand outside in the cold should perhaps of been answered. In the absence of some very compelling reason to the contrary, it would seem a bit of "overkill" alright. If the police had been given information that suggested that the house had been booby-trapped; that there was an armed fugitive hiding within that risked gunplay in the house, or some other very drastic sitution, perhaps requiring the people to remain outside would be more understandable.

Return to “Central Okanagan”