Traveler health insurance.

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
mountainmama
Fledgling

Traveler health insurance.

Post by mountainmama »

I am hoping that some of you traveler's can steer me onto a reputable life/health insurance company for a senior going to the states for 2 months. He is 70, has had heart problems that are corrected by a pacemaker. He is in better health than he was last year.
I hear so many stories where people think they are insured, but after a health episode in the United States, the insurance company backs out, using wording or other excuses.
Its not about the cost, it is about safe coverage for any situation..accident or whatever. Thank-you in advance.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Traveler health insurance.

Post by grammafreddy »

I always get my extended health through BCAA when I go to the States. Am happy with them.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Call around and explain the situation...there is good chance that he won't get full coverage because he has a medical condition.

I usually buy mine online and shop arround when I needed it (currently covered through work). PC Insurance was the cheapest when we had to purchase the last time.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Before you buy anything
- Check your benefits package at work (if you have one) - a lot of companies actually cover it but few people know about it
- Check with Visa/MC, some cards actually provide out of country / out of province insurance coverage
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Captain Awesome wrote:Before you buy anything
- Check your benefits package at work (if you have one) - a lot of companies actually cover it but few people know about it
- Check with Visa/MC, some cards actually provide out of country / out of province insurance coverage

Poster said it was for a "Senior"...I suspect he/she is not employed. That being said if he has any extended health through his retirement plan he could have some coverage there. I do and it's 60 days for out of country but may not cover a pre-existing condition.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Bsuds wrote:Poster said it was for a "Senior"...I suspect he/she is not employed. That being said if he has any extended health through his retirement plan he could have some coverage there. I do and it's 60 days for out of country but may not cover a pre-existing condition.

Whoops, my bad. But still, some Visa/MC cards offer it as part of the package.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
blondewithbrains
Board Meister

Post by blondewithbrains »

The trick to travel medical is to disclose EVERYTHING that you take, have been advised to take, any tests or procedures you are undergoing or have undergone recently, all conditions and also the stability period of any conditions the person has no matter how small or trivial it may seem. Stability means no changes to the condition and it depends on the company as to what length of time they require it to be stable. No changes refers to any and all medication adjustments by the Dr. as well as changes the condition itself. So for example, this person has a pacemaker, has he been in for any monitoring for it lately, and if so did the Dr. adjust his meds at that time. The US is the highest for costs in medical coverage so the premiums usually reflects that as well. Also some companies can exclude coverage for any pre-existing conditions and if he is comfortable with that option it could make it more affordable for him. The problems you read about with denial of coverage is mostly because people have forgotten to disclose something that they had had done or take and even though it could not have anything to do with the problem they are being treated for thru the travel insurance, the insurance company considers it a misrepresentation by the insured. There is 1 company out there, Travel Underwriters, that will cover you in the case of lack of disclosure but they will charge you a $10,000 deductible instead of total denial of coverage. Hope this helps
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

A few months ago CBC Marketplace had an episode titled "Tripped Up".

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2012/trippedup/

Very interesting show anyone venturing out of Canada (IMO) should watch. You never know when something serious can happen & you might need health coverage. More importantly - you might just have your claim denied and receive a nasty bill in the mail after you get home. Worth watching.

Return to “Health”