Not every 4 years a leap year

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
kelvin911
Fledgling

Not every 4 years a leap year

Post by kelvin911 »

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Not every 4 years a leap year

Post by Glacier »

I don't know what school that guy went to, but I distinctly remember learning that 1900 was not a leap year because 19 is not divisible by 4. Something about there not being exactly 365.25 days in a year, so the calender had to take out the odd leap year.

The old Julian was imprecise, so the Gregorian calender came along whereby leap years on centuries that aren't divisible by 400 (or 4 if you ignore the zeros) were subtracted.
Last edited by Glacier on Dec 3rd, 2012, 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

If February had 29 days, it would have 3 pay periods in it.

Too bad!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Captain Awesome wrote:If February had 29 days, it would have 3 pay periods in it.

Too bad!

That's an odd kind of a thought - the shortest month having three pay periods. Tickles my funny bone somehow. LOL
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Glacier wrote:I don't know what school that guy went to, but I distinctly remember learning that 1900 was not a leap year because 19 is not divisible by 4. Something about there not being exactly 365.25 days in a year, so the calender had to take out the odd leap year.

The old Julian was imprecise, so the Gregorian calender came along whereby leap years on centuries that aren't divisible by 400 (or 4 if you ignore the zeros) were subtracted.

We must have had the same math teach ... funny the things we remember from school. The Gregorian Calendar omits 3 leap days every 400 years, omitting February 29 in the 3 century years (integer multiples of 100) that are not also integer multiples of 400 ... 1600 was a leap year, but 1700, 1800 and 1900 were not. 2000 was a leap year, but 2100, 2200, and 2300 will not be.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”