New Kelowna Radio Station - Poll.

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Would you prefer a radio station with this format over what you listen to now, and would you listen?

I listen to the Radio a lot, and I would prefer this format.
28%
I listen to the Radio a lot, but this format doesn't appeal to me.
22%
I don't listen to the Radio much, but if this existed I'd definitely give it a chance.
11%
I don't listen to the Radio much, and this format would not change that.
11%
I don't listen to the Radio at all, but if this existed I'd definitely give it a chance.
6%
I don't listen to the Radio at all, and even though this appeals to me, I still wouldn't listen.
No votes
I don't listen to the Radio at all, this doesn't appeal to me.
22%

Total votes: 18

StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

New Kelowna Radio Station - Poll.

Post by StraitTalk »

Now that I have your attention....

A new radio station appears locally. As the CRC has recently announced they will start accepting applications for experimental FM-IBOC (HD Radio) stations, this station is HD/DAB hybrid meaning both traditional radios and HD Radios will be able to tune in.

Said Radio Station has found a way to broadcast not-for-profit, with extremely minimal advertising, enough to sustain the radio stations operational requirements with surplus going towards future fiscal years, and less advertising occurring as a result.

This is where it get's a little, unrealistic, but possible.

This radio station does not fall under most of the CRTC's requirements for content ratios. This radio station is given a license allowing it to play whatever content it deems fit as long as it is appropriate and as long as it maintains a sizable user base. In the evenings, the radio station could play music that would not normally be appropriate, preventing the need for censoring language with disclaimers and warnings before any content that may be offensive. (The BBC does this in the UK.)

The radio station plays a wide variety of music with certain "shows" throughout the day and night that focus on different genres or styles.

There are no news aspects, no talkshows or morning programs except short blips pertaining to relevant music-related events.

This is not a radio station where you would hear much, if any of the music you would normally hear. It would stray from the norm and play a lot of underground, local and generally less mainstream music.

Now ask yourself. Is this a radio station you would make a point to listen to? Would this format appeal to you? With quality hosts and programming, is this something you feel would do well in the Okanagan?

PLEASE VOTE HONESTLY.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: New Kelowna Radio Station - Poll.

Post by grammafreddy »

I listen to radio 24 hours a day - and I have radios tuned to different stations in different rooms in the house. Even my PC and my laptop are used to listen to radio stations too far away for normal reception.

But you lost me totally when you said "no talk shows". That's what I listen to.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GF you stop talking long enough to listen to the radio!
:127:

I don't listen to the radio at all any more. With my poor hearing it's just noise.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

StraitTalk wrote:In the evenings, the radio station could play music that would not normally be appropriate, preventing the need for censoring language with disclaimers and warnings before any content that may be offensive. (The BBC does this in the UK.)

See, this I don't get about arund here. When I lived i AB, they often played the uncensored versions of songs without the need for warnings. Here, all there is, is the censored version of the music. Why OK in one province but not another?

That being said, gimme a radio station that plays some indie and up and coming bands, instead of the canned and repetitive "top 40" that the corporate drones want to program everyone with, and I'd listen to it.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Keep the votes coming guys! Feedback is huge as well.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Personally, I'm amazed at how many people still listen to radio.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

People "will" listen if you give them something worth listening too !
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

The only station I have listened to for the last 15 years is CBC. That said, it is not the station it used to be. Many of the good programs are gone and the quality of the hosts has suffered greatly. Call me old fashioned, but I think that our National broadcaster should employ people with a good command of the English language. That includes using proper grammar, pronunciation and having an adequate vocabulary. The latter not including filth.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

Gee, how many radio stations can we support in this neck of the woods. I only listen to my radio just to put me to sleep.
dmno

Post by dmno »

I have given up on local radio, I listen to internet radio. I enjoy new rock and some indie music and since I was in high school (I am in my 40's now) I have waited for this type of format, which never happened. What we have here in Kelowna ( generally) is 3 stations that play pop music and 3 stations that play old rock. So boring and repetitive but I'm assuming they are playing to the people they believe who have money so they can sell comercials. I don't enjoy our stations, nobody I know actually enjoys our local stations and I get tired of switching stations trying to find the one that sucks the least.
JustAnotherGuy

Post by JustAnotherGuy »

Sounds like CBC Radio 2 to me... Indy, local, eclectic. Aside from the classical show mid-day it's all I listen to any more.
No commercials, no excessive DJ drivel / trashy-talk.
If that's what you're looking for, it already exists.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

JustAnotherGuy wrote:Sounds like CBC Radio 2 to me... Indy, local, eclectic. Aside from the classical show mid-day it's all I listen to any more.
No commercials, no excessive DJ drivel / trashy-talk.
If that's what you're looking for, it already exists.

I listen to that as well, but I am thinking a little differently as Radio 2 is still a little laid back and boring.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”