Fire truck going around for food donations!

fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Fire truck going around for food donations!

Post by fall »

The fire dept or probably the wvfd westside volunteer fire hall are going around the neighbourhoods with their sirens and lights going knocking on everyones door requesting food donations, seems pretty desperate and I think people are bombarded more than enough to donate without a fire truck blaring the siren on the streets and several firefighters/ volunteer firefighters disturbing people for donations! I thought maybe it was an emergency gas leak etc!
Last edited by fall on Dec 4th, 2012, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Fire truck racing around for food donations!

Post by grammafreddy »

LOL - don't they do this every year?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

grammafreddy wrote:LOL - don't they do this every year?

maybe I missed them last year? not that there is anything wrong with doing so Im all for donating and helping the less fortunate but that seems a tad overboard or maybe make it public that they are going to be doing so ( unless I missed that quite possible) I know they never did that in Kelowna for the 12 years I was there or at least in my part!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

grammafreddy wrote:LOL - don't they do this every year?

Yes, for years - always ready with a bag for them.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The kids when they were little used to try and empty my pantry for them - always had to double check what they were pulling out.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Ok well now I know and I guess it probably helps to catch the people at home and put them on the spot to help boost donations otherwise people may not donate or hesitate at one of the many drop centres almost everywhere you go!
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

They do it every year ... the one coming through my neighbourhood wasn't "racing" ... but the firefighter wasn't in a crazy rush, we had a wee chat about Christmas trees - as that was the 2nd part of their schtick: quick education/reminder on "live" trees.
I know they were letting the siren go for a couple kids in the neighbourhood, could it be that rather than "just because"?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

fall wrote:Ok well now I know and I guess it probably helps to catch the people at home and put them on the spot to help boost donations otherwise people may not donate or hesitate at one of the many drop centres almost everywhere you go!

It's been publicized in the past and on the District's website. No surprise.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

kumazatheef wrote:I know they were letting the siren go for a couple kids in the neighbourhood, could it be that rather than "just because"?

The kids love the sirens. Did notice the trucks not all garbed out like they have been in the past - maybe next year.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

kumazatheef wrote:They do it every year ... the one coming through my neighbourhood wasn't "racing" ... but the firefighter wasn't in a crazy rush, we had a wee chat about Christmas trees - as that was the 2nd part of their schtick: quick education/reminder on "live" trees.
I know they were letting the siren go for a couple kids in the neighbourhood, could it be that rather than "just because"?

changed the racing part for you! good point they were just covering alot of ground quickly!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Fire truck going around for food donations!

Post by Fancy »

Joe Rich does it too - Dec 9th I think.
momofthree
Fledgling

Post by momofthree »

Came through our neighborhood. I like the lights we saw them and remembered that they always come around this time of year - for at least the last 15 years- and we had time to run to the pantry and see what we had to donate.
hot4words

Post by hot4words »

third year in row for our new subdivision!!! bags all ready to go...merry christmas everone!!!!!
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

They came by early enough last night that the boys had not yet gone to bed so the firemen took a few minutes to let the kids in the truck and push a few buttons to turn on the lights and siren. Also, the boys get a kick out of carrying the bag of food out. Took a few minutes to get them settled down enough to focus on te bedtime routine but it was worth it.

Our opinion is that the firefighters on the Westside are great ambassadors and all our interactions with them have been fantastic. We are willing to bet that some of those guys even volunteered their time to help with this foodbank effort as it is such a worthy cause.

Thank you West Kelowna Firefighters for all your efforts this year and we will see you again next December.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Been here for 11 years, and love it when I see them...LOL at kids emptying the pantry...mine, too.
They are always so nice and good on them for helping those who struggle.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN THEM DRIVE FAST

My kids love the sirens and lights.

Don't think they are trying to put people on the spot, either. :127:

Way to go West Kelowna :hailjo: :discodance: :hailjo: :discodance:

Return to “Central Okanagan”