Exclusive breaking news: Christy Clark’s Expensive Taste

Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Exclusive breaking news: Christy Clark’s Expensive Taste

Post by Logitack »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
I'm not condoning reckless overspending, but in the same breath, I won't allow myself to get all worked up over incomplete data, presented by a blogger with an agenda.

yes because, afterall, he is a conservative right winger holding a ring wing party to account for their deception and mismanagement, we cant have that... only right wingers with an agenda that thinks the liberal lies, deceit, fiscal mismanagement, dirty tricks and malfeasance must be applauded and endorsed!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Logitack wrote: yes because, afterall, he is a conservative right winger holding a ring wing party to account for their deception and mismanagement, we cant have that... only right wingers with an agenda that thinks the liberal lies, deceit, fiscal mismanagement, dirty tricks and malfeasance must be applauded and endorsed!

Is it okay for the NDP to do the same? Will the left-leaners be doing any screaming? Have they in the past when dishonest, unscrupulous things were done by that party?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I agree with you. The whole works of them should be put under a microscope and watched right down to the finest detail. I have to watch my money why shouldn't they have to watch ours.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

Smurf wrote:I agree with you. The whole works of them should be put under a microscope and watched right down to the finest detail. I have to watch my money why shouldn't they have to watch ours.

now that all the expense accounts have to be posted online, has anybody heard of an orginization that will moniter these spending accounts?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

boardsweeper wrote:now that all the expense accounts have to be posted online, has anybody heard of an orginization that will moniter these spending accounts?

You mean, another govt agency to monitor govt spending?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

boardsweeper wrote:
now that all the expense accounts have to be posted online,

Link to these online expense accounts, please?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

Link to these online expense accounts, please?

Sorry GF, this was only alberta. I thought it was canada wide, alberta has to post spending online for the public to view. think BC should follow in the steps of alberta on this one..

heres a link http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/09/05 ... e-redford/
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

B.C. MLAs Show Taxpayers Disrespect by Breaking Word on Expenses
Every time B.C. taxpayers think MLAs will put their expenses out, they pull them back in.

In August, rocked by public pressure and a scathing report from the Auditor General on their bookkeeping, B.C. MLAs promised to finally make their spending open and transparent. Speaker Bill Barisoff made the most significant and specific vow: "Anybody wanting to look at that [MLA expenses] will be able to see receipts," he said.

That historic commitment to accountability lasted barely two months and didn’t result in a single receipt being produced for the public to look at.

Last week, the Legislative Assembly Management Committee, chaired by Barisoff and made up of both Liberal and NDP MLAs, agreed to post quarterly expense reports online – but continue to withhold actual receipts, ensuring the public is kept in the dark on where public money is actually going.

For two parties who are at each other’s throats on nearly every issue facing this province, it is astounding that the Liberals and NDP continue to walk in lockstep when it comes to hiding these receipts.

Posting receipts is the new standard for political accountability. Toronto mayor and councillors, managing a budget roughly half B.C.’s, have been posting receipts online for years. Alberta Premier Alison Redford recently announced that her government will post expense receipts online for 400 senior politicians and staff, sparking opposition MLAs to follow suit.

The B.C. backtrack is another example of politicians doing the bare minimum to try and deflect public scrutiny. It’s a model started by the cabinet, who tout the fact they release monthly travel expenses – but don’t explain how many trips occurred, where they went, why they went there, who accompanied them or what they actually spent our money on.

The information is virtually useless without context, and politicians know it. Yet they wonder why there has been such a breakdown in trust between taxpayers and the people who purportedly serve them in public office.

It’s simple, really. Clinging to secrecy raises suspicions among taxpayers that our money is being spent in a way that MLAs would rather keep hidden. Why else would they refuse to produce receipts and invoices for observers to check?

There are legitimate items that must be addressed, no doubt. The Information and Privacy Commissioner’s concerns that MLA staff salaries shouldn’t be made public does not square with the fact that literally thousands of public employees have their pay disclosed every year. Still, the issue needs to be dealt with in dialogue with both the Commissioner and the staff. But that certainly doesn’t prevent other spending and receipts from being posted online.

Scanning receipts and getting the database up and running – or, more precisely, training staff to do the work – takes time and will cost taxpayers some money. However, transparency is money well spent, and certainly better spent on this than the millions spent on the Pacific Carbon Trust, government ads, JobFest or other wasteful spending.

None of these concerns are deal breakers when it comes to transparency. They’re just convenient excuses to back away from the commitment to put receipts online.

In next spring’s election campaign, when party platforms will no doubt trumpet great claims and promises about openness and accountability, taxpayers would do well to remember that both the B.C. Liberals and NDP have failed the transparency test.

By: Jordan Bateman
http://taxpayer.com/british-columbia/bc ... d-expenses
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

grammafreddy wrote:
Is it okay for the NDP to do the same? Will the left-leaners be doing any screaming? Have they in the past when dishonest, unscrupulous things were done by that party?

Link to this information please.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

There's no link - it's a question based on your comment before it ....
Logitack wrote: yes because, afterall, he is a conservative right winger holding a ring wing party to account for their deception and mismanagement, we cant have that... only right wingers with an agenda that thinks the liberal lies, deceit, fiscal mismanagement, dirty tricks and malfeasance must be applauded and endorsed!

Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

grammafreddy wrote:There's no link - it's a question based on your comment before it ....

So...you're flat out making stuff up? I get it.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I don't think she has done anything wrong. Perhaps she was entertaining other delegates at the convention/meetings. Do you really want you representatives to stay in a Travel Lodge and eat a t McDonalds?
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Alvis wrote:So...you're flat out making stuff up? I get it.

this would sort of cover it!!

Last week, the Legislative Assembly Management Committee, chaired by Barisoff and made up of both Liberal and NDP MLAs, agreed to post quarterly expense reports online – but continue to withhold actual receipts, ensuring the public is kept in the dark on where public money is actually going.

i dont think either party is willing to be fully honest on personal spending with taxpayer money.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Static wrote:I don't think she has done anything wrong. Perhaps she was entertaining other delegates at the convention/meetings. Do you really want you representatives to stay in a Travel Lodge and eat a t McDonalds?

honestly YES.
give them a daily $50 food allowance and a daily $120 hotel allowance when its needed and let them pay for extra's.
the government expects welfare and EI recipients to live off peanuts and then they go out for lavish lunches with expensive bottles of wine on our dime.
wean them away from the trough and teach them this is unacceptable with todays economy.
christy could use a few more salads and less steak by the look of it anyway.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Serious Keith? You clearly have never travelled. If you have you would realize that $120 room and $50 food budget is a joke.

Return to “B.C.”