MacDonald, UFC Talent

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Fixer 166
Guru

MacDonald, UFC Talent

Post by Fixer 166 »

Every Relationship Is Give & Give
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: MacDonald, UFC Talent

Post by Lady tehMa »

:biggrin:

Would be great to see him win . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Here's what I could find.
Good fight, and looking good in the post fight interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEUkR8FoBuI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEUkR8FoBuI
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

excellent fight! exciting to see a locally trained boy (toshido) at the top of the fight game.
rutland1
Board Meister

Post by rutland1 »

Great fight by Rory, but he loses on class in his interview at the end.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Wasn't impressed by the hot dogging it or the interview but good on him for winning. Might reconsider how he acts after reviewing the footage.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dcipher
Übergod

Post by dcipher »

rutland1 wrote:Great fight by Rory, but he loses on class in his interview at the end.

Completely lost all respect for him when he started showboating. Repeatedly. We all know *bleep* Penn isn't what he used to be. No need to rub it in, particularly on a guy at the end of his storied career. Talk about dancing on the grave.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Meh, Penn was chirping before the fight, and was looking for a way to knock GSP's gym down, and thought his best way would be to beat MacDonald. Rory's only 23, can't blame him for being a little cocky. Nobody complained about Silva when he did the same thing.
knowledgeisking

Post by knowledgeisking »

Read up on the subject and you will see Macdonald is fast becoming one of the most disliked fighters in the UFC both by other fighters and fans of the sport. Not sure why he would go out of his way to accomplish that unless he is just a jerk without trying. His fights might get watched because of that but wouldn't his merchanding suffer as well?

Either way when he gets his lights knocked out sooner than later there will be a lot of people applauding
I'm smarter than you, I'm better looking than you and I probably have way more friends than you. I'm definintely taller than you. Sorry if this makes you uncomfortable.
dcipher
Übergod

Post by dcipher »

Gilchy wrote:Meh, Penn was chirping before the fight, and was looking for a way to knock GSP's gym down,

Pre-fight gamesmanship is qualitively different from in-ring showboating over a struggling opponent. I think most competitors agree with me, as evidenced by both their words, and the fact that the latter behavior is strikingly uncommon given the abundance of the former.

As to GSP's gym. Nothing could tarnish anyone associated with Rory, including Kelowna, more than voluntary behavior of this kind. I would much rather be associated with a sportsmen-like athlete who lost, than behavior of this sort, and I hope I am not the only one.
Gilchy wrote: and thought his best way would be to beat MacDonald. Rory's only 23, can't blame him for being a little cocky.

UNBELIEVABLE. I have known 12 yr olds in boxing, 12 yr olds in martial arts, in fact, young kids in every sport I've participated or coached in who knew that showboating was ugly and disrespectful, AND were able to contain themselves. To suggest that a TWENTY THREE (!) yr old professional athlete should not be held accountable for this is to set the one's expectations/standards astonishingly low.
Gilchy wrote:Nobody complained about Silva when he did the same thing.

1.This is simply a lie. Many have complained about Silva showboating. In fact, none other than Dana White, who is hardly the epitome of class, and who has a vested interest in not judging his fighters harshly, once called Silva's showboating "disgraceful".
2.The statement is both irrelevant and irrational: people's judgment of Silva's behavior does not inform us as to the morality of Rory's behavior. In fact, that logical disconnect is so extreme as to be troubling.
dcipher
Übergod

Post by dcipher »

knowledgeisking wrote:Read up on the subject and you will see Macdonald is fast becoming one of the most disliked fighters in the UFC both by other fighters and fans of the sport. Not sure why he would go out of his way to accomplish that unless he is just a jerk without trying. His fights might get watched because of that but wouldn't his merchanding suffer as well?

Either way when he gets his lights knocked out sooner than later there will be a lot of people applauding

I also wondered if that was his angle...trying to be a bad boy for monetary gain. After his post-fight excuses I think that either he is:

1.trying to build a heel image for commercial gain

or

2.is simply a bit of a dullard....and a jerk

When he now tries to claim that he wasn't showboating but rather, showing variety to mix it up...it is of course laughable. It's also somewhat insulting to anyone that knows the sport, to suggest that as a plausible explanation. In essence: it's insulting to be fed such a ridiculous line.

Having said that, he isn't doing #1 very well either. He'd be a more "respectable" bad boy, if he simply said "yep, I was showboating, that's what I do, I talk big, and I back it up, and anybody who wants to shut me up can try!" Passive-aggressive lies aren't particularly endearing even to people who like the bad boy gimmick.

Were he straight-up man he could also have said "yes, I'd like to apologize for that. I'm got carried away there...the heat of the moment, and I was so pumped up going into that fight...at the end of the day, I have great respect for Penn's legacy, and I didn't mean to detract from that."

As it is, he has shown me by both his in-fight behavior, and his post-fight retrospective thoughts, that he is indeed a punk. Unfortunate, but obviously, the ability to fight does not require class, respect, or honor.
knowledgeisking

Post by knowledgeisking »

I also wondered if that was his angle...trying to be a bad boy for monetary gain. After his post-fight excuses I think that either he is:

1.trying to build a heel image for commercial gain

or

2.is simply a bit of a dullard....and a jerk

When he now tries to claim that he wasn't showboating but rather, showing variety to mix it up...it is of course laughable. It's also somewhat insulting to anyone that knows the sport, to suggest that as a plausible explanation. In essence: it's insulting to be fed such a ridiculous line.

Having said that, he isn't doing #1 very well either. He'd be a more "respectable" bad boy, if he simply said "yep, I was showboating, that's what I do, I talk big, and I back it up, and anybody who wants to shut me up can try!" Passive-aggressive lies aren't particularly endearing even to people who like the bad boy gimmick.

Were he straight-up man he could also have said "yes, I'd like to apologize for that. I'm got carried away there...the heat of the moment, and I was so pumped up going into that fight...at the end of the day, I have great respect for Penn's legacy, and I didn't mean to detract from that."

As it is, he has shown me by both his in-fight behavior, and his post-fight retrospective thoughts, that he is indeed a punk. Unfortunate, but obviously, the ability to fight does not require class, respect, or honor.[/quote]

Yes, the "Ali Shuffle" would be a technique early in the fight when both fighters are on their game. Late in the fight when you have already beaten the crap out the other guy and the clock is winding down its showboating..
I'm smarter than you, I'm better looking than you and I probably have way more friends than you. I'm definintely taller than you. Sorry if this makes you uncomfortable.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

dcipher
UNBELIEVABLE. I have known 12 yr olds in boxing, 12 yr olds in martial arts, in fact, young kids in every sport I've participated or coached in who knew that showboating was ugly and disrespectful, AND were able to contain themselves. To suggest that a TWENTY THREE (!) yr old professional athlete should not be held accountable for this is to set the one's expectations/standards astonishingly low.

1.This is simply a lie. Many have complained about Silva showboating. In fact, none other than Dana White, who is hardly the epitome of class, and who has a vested interest in not judging his fighters harshly, once called Silva's showboating "disgraceful".
2.The statement is both irrelevant and irrational: people's judgment of Silva's behavior does not inform us as to the morality of Rory's behavior. In fact, that logical disconnect is so extreme as to be troubling.

Did I say I approved of Macdonald's behaviour? No. I simply don't think it's that big of a deal. Certainly not serious enough to "tarnish anything involved with Rory, including Kelowna". I personally don't feel tarnished because Rory did the shuffle.

It's gamemanship. Should he have rubbed it in a badly beaten opponent's face? No, of course not. But it's hardly "immoral" bevaviour, simply a little rude and disrespectful. I apologize if my logical disconnects trouble you. In a sport where two people do their best to hurt one another, a little showboating is hardly the make or break on ethics.
Last edited by Gilchy on Dec 13th, 2012, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

double post
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Most of the fighters seem like king sized d-bags to me. I don't know how much of that is theatrics, and how much is genuine. I see GSP as a pretty respectable guy and I hope he and his camp have something to say to the kid.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”